Value of: 1st round pick (11-15) to Vancouver

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Besides Pettersson/Horvat/Boeser/Hughes is there a package that can land another 1st round pick, preferably in the 11-15 range and try and get both Boldy+CaufieldI wouldn’t mind a 16-20 pick as well and would love to get a crack at Heinola, Brink, Newhook etc. Prefer to trade roster players, but B prospects could also be included.

Tanev
Virtanen
Hutton
Juolevi
Gaudette
Baertschi

Are solid pieces that could be available as well as depth pieces.

MisterT

Nov 29, 2006
Combined those pieces don’t land you such a pick. ELCs for teams selecting in that range are more valuable.

Reactions: TheKingPin

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
holy f*** is that a shit selection of assets for a 11-15th pick.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
12oa

for

Virtanen
10oa

Deal, OP?

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
Besides Pettersson/Horvat/Boeser/Hughes is there a package that can land another 1st round pick, preferably in the 11-15 range and try and get both Boldy+CaufieldI wouldn’t mind a 16-20 pick as well and would love to get a crack at Heinola, Brink, Newhook etc. Prefer to trade roster players, but B prospects could also be included.

Tanev
Virtanen
Hutton
Juolevi
Gaudette
Baertschi

Those names do not bring back the 11th pick. Same for B prospects.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
And the overvaluing of draft picks continues. A pick in the 11-20 range does not cost all those assets. Jesus people.

It has nothing to do with "overvaluing of draft picks". Its a matter of teams with those picks don't really need any of those pieces, and if they did, they could probably find comparable players much more cheaply.

Look at this way. Try to think of what you think would be a fair offer from that list for the 11th OA pick. Would you want Vancouver to trade the 10th OA for that?

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014

Tanev
Virtanen
Hutton
Juolevi
Gaudette
Baertschi

Habs won't trade the 15th overall pick for any pieces in here. I'd trade one of our 2nd pick for Juollevi as a reclamation project tho, but he isn't worth a 1st round pick anymore

A colelction of 3-4th lienrs isn't worth a top15 pick.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
And the overvaluing of draft picks continues. A pick in the 11-20 range does not cost all those assets. Jesus people.

Teams don't move high picks knowingly for B assets. It appears you're looking for a Peter Chiarelli calibre idiot to pull off another 1st rounder for Reinhart type trade (with Juloevi instead, this time). And obviously you are't going to find fans jumping at the idea of their club pulling that one off.

Your best shot would be Tanev, but I don't think a 29 year old Tanev with his injury history holds that sort of value. Teams historically have moved picks in this range in packages for upgrades on their roster who have upside and suit very specific needs. E.g. when the Kings went for Lucic and thought they were getting a 26-27 year old 60 point power forward; or when the Flames traded for a Dougie Hamilton in his early 20s; or the Sens packaged the 14th overall up to get a then 25 year old perennial 30 goal scorer Bobby Ryan; or the Blues their 1st + a future 1st for Schenn. All of these teams thought they were getting key, prime aged top six forwards / top four defensmen.

Obviously some of these moves didn't work out...but the key is that, at the time, with the exception of the truly stupid moves like Chiarelli's, they all looked a lot better than what you're suggesting now. You're basically suggesting teams skip the "move a 1st+ for something that looks promising step" and go straight to the "move a 1st for a terrible return", aka the Peter Chiarelli, step.

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
i hope fans from PHI, MIN, FLA, ARI and MTL come back and list their assets of similar value and ask what combo would land them the 10th.

Not perfect but lets try from Philly:
Tanev/ Gudas?, Hutton and Juolevi/ Hagg and Morin?, Gaudette /Laughton?, Baertschi/Lindblom?, Virtanen/ Hartman?

Not getting a top 10 pick oa with this Philly group for sure.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
If Carolinas goalie gets blown out again tomorrow I could see the Canes a lil despy to make a move for a goalie and could pay steeply for Markstrom. 2019 1st plus something else for Markstrom makes sense, for everybody

John Johnson

Apr 11, 2019
I think you would have to add a high 2nd round pick to those players for any GM to consider moving a mid-1st round pick.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

Riiiiight

So if Colorado came offering you a combination of:

Nicholas Meloche
Sven Andrighetto
Matt Nieto
Ian Cole
Patrik Nemeth
AJ Greer

You're telling me you'd move the #10 pick for some of those assets?

Sounds to me like someone is massively overeating his own players.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
While people may overestimate the value of such picks, this is also a prime example of ‘diminishing returns’. It looks like a healthy group, but all of them together doesn’t move the needle for a team.

Likely teams look for class assets and detract or add from there.

Top 10 picks are A+ to A assets. 11-14 are A- assets.

Teams giving up assets expect a premium. B assets at best aren’t a premium. There’s no trade to be made of you don’t include other things that are valuable.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Riiiiight

So if Colorado came offering you a combination of:

Nicholas Meloche
Sven Andrighetto
Matt Nieto
Ian Cole
Patrik Nemeth
AJ Greer

You're telling me you'd move the #10 pick for some of those assets?

Sounds to me like someone is massively overeating his own players.
Oil Juolevi is an A prospect still. Virtanen and Gaudette are also great young players. This isn’t “washed up 4th liners” for a top pick

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
I actually believe Podzolkin will fall in this draft and would love my Kings to select him if he does.. however, our second pick is in the 20s(TML)..
Hence, what would it take from the Kings to get into that 11-15 range???
the package obviously starts with Toronto's pick....

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
When was the last time a bunch of lesser assets brought back a 1st rounder in that range? Outside of picks for picks swaps, cap dumps or expansion draft stuff, here are the picks (or players in their draft+1 years as prospects) that have been traded since 2013:

-12th pick in 2018 plus 2 2nds for Hamonic
-14th pick in 2018 and 27th pick in 2017 for Schenn
-Suzuki (13th pick in 2017), Tatar and a 2nd for Pacioretty
-13th pick in 2015, Jones and Miller for Lucic
-15th pick in 2015 plus 2 2nds for Hamilton
-10th pick, Silfverberg and Noesen for Ryan

All of those picks traded were traded for actually good players, not the scraps you're offering outside of Tanev. I think Tanev is the only guy that might be able to bring back a 1st in that range, and that's being generous towards the Canucks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad