Pre-Game Talk: 1st Round Discussion: Wings vs. Bolts

RDTBay4

Apr 28, 2014
Clearwater, FL
Should be a fun series. I hope it doesn't rain on game days because pregame festivities are a ton of fun at Amalie Arena. Live band, cheap drinks / concessions and a great social atmosphere.

Hope you guys enjoy the series but not the result!

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Craig Custance over at ESPN ranked all 16 playoff teams by their defense groups.

Detroit was 14/16. Only beating Pittsburgh and Calgary.

He ranked the forward group 7th.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Craig Custance over at ESPN ranked all 16 playoff teams by their defense groups.

Detroit was 14/16. Only beating Pittsburgh and Calgary.

He ranked the forward group 7th.

And if Giordano and Letang were healthy....???

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
He mentioned how both those teams were decimated by injuries. I suspect he would have ranked Detroit last if both players weren't injured.

With Pitt having both Letang and Maatta, that definitely puts us at at least 15/16.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
Surely noone is even remotely suggesting Andersson is in ANY way a better player than Weiss. Dear god. Some haters around here.

Both players are replacement-level IMO.

You can find a guy that will chip in 30-40 points to replace Weiss who actually contributes things like speed and forechecking and physicality when he's not scoring, which Weiss doesn't do.

I'm still not sure what Andersson's meal ticket is supposed to be. He's a big guy that plays small, he seems like he has decent wheels but he plays slow, he has no hands to speak of, and isn't particularly good defensively or on faceoffs.

:dunno:

I guess if I had to pick between the two I'd take Weiss and hope he has one of those 3 point games that turn up about every 30-40 games. But I sure as hell wouldn't give him any PP time.

I'd roll with these lines, personally:

Abdelkader-Datsyuk-Zetterberg
Nyquist-Sheahan-Tatar
Helm-Glendening-Jurco
Miller-Weiss-Ferraro

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
Oh please, Tampa is good, but they're not that unbeatable. Their goaltending is just as suspect as the Red Wings.

Of all the possibles, I was actually glad they drew Tampa. I don't like their chances and picked the Bolts in 5, but I think right now a series against either Montreal or the Rangers would be over before they even started. The Wings might be able to hang in against the Bolts long enough for one of the goalies to get his head screwed on straight and for the D to sort itself out with Marchenko stepping in.

I never thought the 2013 D could play the way they did, and Jimmy got hot that year as well. A similar string of events could theoretically get the Wings rolling on a deep run. But they're not going to have it in order right away.

Wouldn't be surprised if they get run out of the building in game 1, what with all the moving parts, kids coming into the lineup, injured guys limping back in, etc. There's a good chance they'll be a disjointed mess for game 1 while they try to get themselves in order.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Hey all, just wondering if Franzen is expected to be back any time soon or is he out for the season? Thanks in advance!

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Hey all, just wondering if Franzen is expected to be back any time soon or is he out for the season? Thanks in advance!

Most believe out for the season. He has skated on and off, but doesn't appear close to returning.

His entire career seems very much up in the air at this point unfortunately.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Most believe out for the season. He has skated on and off, but doesn't appear close to returning.

Thanks, appreciate the quick response. Good luck in the playoffs!

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
...I'm still not sure what Andersson's meal ticket is supposed to be. He's a big guy that plays small, he seems like he has decent wheels but he plays slow, he has no hands to speak of, and isn't particularly good defensively or on faceoffs...

Not a great excuse but I wonder if Joker's acceptance is based on his past play with Detroit and the Griffins? I remember he had an impact in our 2013 PO's with 5 points in 14 games. He and Nyquist had some thrilling goals- he, Brunner and Gus were the original kid line, they caused quite a stir. Andersson centering Nyquist and Tatar went back down to GR to win the Calder, he had 8 points in 10 PO games. Last season Andy produced 17 points in 65 games, not too shabby. For a guy that supposedly cannot score he has proven he can make things happen.

I agree with the term replaceable but when you look at the type of hard working, "skate with your head down" players Babcock encourages and praises so often: Glendening, Ferraro, Helm, Abdelkader, we can see Andersson fits in the same mold that a guy like Emmerton never could.

Last edited:

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Well just got done watching the 2001-2002 postseason cup run again. Anything to get me pumped. Amazing how Datsyuk is the only remaining player from that team. The Rookie! :laugh: I was wondering the whole time watching how if our team today had to face off against that powerhouse we would have been eaten for breakfast. Especially with our horrid defense. And having to face Hasek. Probably would have swept our current team.

You could say the same for Cole too!:(

That's alright we got Abby! Who should hopefully be close to coming back.

Last edited by a moderator:

VM1138

Apr 30, 2007
That's the way I see it.

A few days off, clean slate, underdog status...there's a lot of things that make this series interesting. Plus, Tampa's home ice will probably be canceled out by the snowbirds.

If Datsyuk can play like himself and Nyquist, Tatar and Sheahan can step it up, then I like our chances. Abdelkader's health is huge too.

The key to a better showing than last year are the performances of Nyquist and Tatar. They totally disappeared last year. We need our forward depth to really step up this series.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
I dunno what to hope anymore about Jimmy. Yes he had a long stretch of **** games. But I think he looked better in his last few. Maybe he got his mojo back? But then again I also hope he never gets a chance to find out, because that will mean Mrazek is successfully leading us to a Cup.

Well anyway more than likely we will get a chance to see both our goalies suck again for at least a game or two. Would be great if either one of them can string together a series of convincing wins.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Helene St. James ‏@HeleneStJames 3m3 minutes ago
#RedWings practice underway, Justin Abdelkader skating in grey (forecast: cloudy. Status for Game 1 TBD Thursday)

I'd feel much better if Abby, Cole, even Franzen were available. Sigh.

MTU hockey

Mar 4, 2013
Colorado
The key to a better showing than last year are the performances of Nyquist and Tatar. They totally disappeared last year. We need our forward depth to really step up this series.

That's because the Bruins suffocated any offense 5 on 5, if I remember right most of our goals came on PP's. Tampa is not nearly as defensive minded as last years Bruins team was.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
That's because the Bruins suffocated any offense 5 on 5, if I remember right most of our goals came on PP's. Tampa is not nearly as defensive minded as last years Bruins team was.

Tatar probably wouldnt have done much anyway.

Nyquist I can understand.. But if he gets shut down this year like last year..

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 18m18 minutes ago
Babcock said he'll play Datsyuk and Zetterberg together unless Abdelkader plays, in which case they'll be split. Abdelkader questionable.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
I don't get why people get so worked up by analyst's predictions. The game is played on the ice, not in some corporate office. "Analysts" and laughably wrong very often.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 18m18 minutes ago
Babcock said he'll play Datsyuk and Zetterberg together unless Abdelkader plays, in which case they'll be split. Abdelkader questionable.

So Sheahan with potential 2C duties in a playoff series against a Cup contender.

Wow. Kid's come a long way.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
Man, I hope Abdelkader plays. I don't like our bottom 6's chances against Tampa's bottom 6 if Sheahan is the 2C.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad