Proposal: 1st OA for Pettersson

John Johnson

Apr 11, 2019
Awwwww win a wound....

We've been competitive with Washington a President Trophy winner and Boston arguable a top three contender with our players on their ELC. By any reasonable measure of success this is a fantastic rebuild.

Stay jelly fren.
Im not a fan of either team but man this is an embarassing response.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Interesting proposal, but Petterson (without the injuries) is exactly what Vancouver needs and Petterson is producing like a 1st overall pick compared to other players his age.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
2yw9vo.jpg

Cquant

May 14, 2015
That's like saying Hischier is clearly light years better than Taylor Hall, because he got double the amount of points this season.
Yes, Pettersson had less points than Matthews. He also played 11 less games. I don't see how it's absurd to put Pettersson's name out there with Matthews, Eichel and Pastrnak. MacKinnon is indisputably better right now in my opinion than any of these guys.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Just think you could have had Petterson and #1OA pick

If the Devils had taken Petterson, it's highly unlikely they finish this season the same spot in the standings and get the #1OA pick.

Let's also stop pretending that Petterson was a realistic consideration for that pick at the time. Look at where he was ranked ahead of the draft:

2017 NHL Draft Rankings

12 different rankings and the highest he was ranked was 5th. The 11 other rankings had him 7th or lower. His average rank was 11th.

So stop acting like the Devils screwed up by taking Nico - the pick was between him and Patrick, with possibly a small consideration for Makar or Heiskanen. The Devils made the right call in taking Nico, otherwise they should've traded down to #3 if they wanted one of the defensemen.

Pettersson was a great pick by Vancouver and I'm glad they got him as the Rangers were apparently looking to take him at #7. But the amount that Vancouver fans pump him up is rather annoying.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
That's like saying Hischier is clearly light years better than Taylor Hall, because he got double the amount of points this season.
Yes, Pettersson had less points than Matthews. He also played 11 less games. I don't see how it's absurd to put Pettersson's name out there with Matthews, Eichel and Pastrnak. MacKinnon is indisputably better right now in my opinion than any of these guys.

It's a bit early to put his name out there with guys that have performed at that level for several seasons in the NHL versus Pettersson's rookie year, especially considering he started the season much stronger than he finished it. There's no guarantee he improves on those numbers next season - Barzal had a great rookie season and then saw his point total drop by 27% in year 2 in the same amount of games.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
Pettersson had a better PPG than all of them though? :huh:

Pettersson career ppg, 0.93 (71 games)

Matthews career ppg, 0.97 (212 games)

Marner career ppg, 0.93 (241 games)

Eichel career ppg, 0.91 (286 games)

Pastrnak career ppg, 0.89 (320 games)

Point career ppg, 0.86 (229 games)

giphy.gif

GoodbyeLuongo

Jun 8, 2012
Seattle
Yeah and I wasn't bashing the Canucks when they were a contender to make me feel better about the Leafs I was criticizing the Leafs.

Read the thread and you'll get the point. I'm just responding to bs.

As for 'the rebuild time line' It started with Nylander and Virtanen was picks three spots ahead of him so Nuck had their opportunities to not Juolevi their rebuild.

First off, we would far rather have Ehlers than Nylander. Second off, if we have Ehlers/Nylander and Tkachuk we don't get Pettersson. And I'd MUCH rather have Elias than any of those three. Also not really sure what Juolevi the rebuild is supposed to be. He's been tracking well (contrary to popular belief), just suffered an unfortunate injury this year. Considering the Leafs were rebuilding for almost a decade, maybe don't get on your high horse so quick pal. It's a shame, the Leafs are a likable team with the exception of Kadri. But their fans make it impossible to cheer for them.

4chandler

Apr 11, 2019
First off, we would far rather have Ehlers than Nylander. Second off, if we have Ehlers/Nylander and Tkachuk we don't get Pettersson. And I'd MUCH rather have Elias than any of those three. Also not really sure what Juolevi the rebuild is supposed to be. He's been tracking well (contrary to popular belief), just suffered an unfortunate injury this year. Considering the Leafs were rebuilding for almost a decade, maybe don't get on your high horse so quick pal. It's a shame, the Leafs are a likable team with the exception of Kadri. But their fans make it impossible to cheer for them.
A decade, sure, love those Seguin and Hamilton picks.

Way to rewrite history to suit your agenda, welcome the ignore list, you earned it.

gianni

Apr 8, 2014
In regards to Alien Petterson's production in the latter part of the season, keep in mind that he came back from a concussion sooner than he probably should have, as well as a tweaked knee. Also, the rookie wall, which hopefully isn't an issue next year.

I think the addition of Tanner Pearson, a possibly re-signed Luke Schenn, and hopefully an acquisition of some gritty wingers will deter opposing players from taking cheap shots next season & Pettersson can play more games injury free.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I would do it since they had the Sedins, but it cost a lot including 2020 1st. Jim Benning need to move Loui Erikssson contract to sign either Duchene or Zuccarello or both as UFA - Nucks needs a playoffs push next season since they have 8.1 mil $ cap right now.
And I would sign Spencer knight in the 2019 draft.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Boeser, Juolevi, #10 for Hughes
:laugh:

No.

My offer is 10+Markstrom+Madden+Juolevi+Goldobin

We can take back the Schneider contract if need be.

If that doesn’t get it done, then so be it. But there’s not a chance in hell we’re trading Boeser and 10 both for #1.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
He’s talking about rookie season, genius.

Yeah, players retire after their rookie seasons all the time...

And really, how is 'his (D2) rookie season was better than Matthews' (D1) rookie season because even though Matthews got 40 goals, Elias had a higher PPG so he's better!' an argument?

Karna continues to bite the Canucks in the ass because of this hubris (note: EP is a fantastic player, but I want to see more than one season of ridiculous s% before crowning him the king.)

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
:laugh:

No.

My offer is 10+Markstrom+Madden+Juolevi+Goldobin

We can take back the Schneider contract if need be.

If that doesn’t get it done, then so be it. But there’s not a chance in hell we’re trading Boeser and 10 both for #1.

Would you trade Boeser + #10 for Pettersson?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad