Value of: 1st/2nd pairing Right Shot Dman that might be moving this season

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Why not throw Sami Vatanen a contract? He's a right shot RD and he's a FA so you can get him for free. Still young at 30. As a Devils fan I will admit last year wasn't the best for him but it was a messed up season with covid. The year prior he was fine. Even better is since he had a bad season you can sign him on the cheap. What can go wrong? If he remains healthy & regains his form from 2 seasons ago you can have a 2nd pair or at worst 3rd RD. If he sucks well then he's cheap enough that it doesn't really matter. Give him a 1 year show me deal if anything to see if he has anything in the tank. If he sucks let him walk.
he is an option as well . even though vatanen would be free i think it would be better to go a little higher in quality like ghost or shattenkirk. shattenkirk is probably not an option where he recently signed as u ufa . ghost is a left shot which would be a bonus.

i realize he's not a 1st or 2nd pair anymore but we do have a lot of right shots on the power play and not so many lefts . his total salary over the next two years is 4.25 so i could see arizona retaining on the cap hit . 2023 third and a b level prospect

Last edited:

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Curious why you’d add Hronek to this list?
Cause he’s a top 4 RD who might be in an odd-man out scenario in Detroit depending on how things work out. Leddy will most likely take his spot on the top PP and Seider will eventually take over his spot in the depth charts. Depending on how contract negotiations go will probably determine how Yzerman handles the situation going forward. Yzerman most likely, IMO, wants to see how Hronek will handle not being our best dman (because we have two “new” players who are better than him) and Hronek, IMO, probably (this is the wildcard) wants to be paid, in the future, for what he has done in the past even though the two will in all likelihood not be at all similar in terms of minutes or production level.

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
Cause he’s a top 4 RD who might be in an odd-man out scenario in Detroit depending on how things work out. Leddy will most likely take his spot on the top PP and Seider will eventually take over his spot in the depth charts. Depending on how contract negotiations go will probably determine how Yzerman handles the situation going forward. Yzerman most likely, IMO, wants to see how Hronek will handle not being our best dman (because we have two “new” players who are better than him) and Hronek, IMO, probably (this is the wildcard) wants to be paid, in the future, for what he has done in the past even though the two will in all likelihood not be at all similar in terms of minutes or production level.
Leddy has one year left (LD also) and Seider can’t play both top 4 RD spots. Seems extremely premature to contemplate trading Hronek just for the sake of trading him.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Leddy has one year left and Seider can’t play both top 4 RD spots. Seems extremely premature to contemplate trading Hronek just for the sake of trading him.
Right…but we also have a bunch of other D prospects coming in the next year or so, as well, with at least two of them projecting better than Hronek. So it might come down to his future value to the team compared to what Hronek thinks he’s worth. And remember this is just speculative. I’m saying he COULD be available not that he will definitely be available. It all depends on the current contract negotiations. If we still had Holland as GM he would have been given a long-term extension already.

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
Right…but we also have a bunch of other D prospects coming in the next year or so, as well, with at least two of them projecting better than Hronek. So it might come down to his future value to the team compared to what Hronek thinks he’s worth. And remember this is just speculative. I’m saying he COULD be available not that he will definitely be available. It all depends on the current contract negotiations. If we still had Holland as GM he would have been given a long-term extension already.
I think you’re underselling Hronek if you think 2 or more prospects next year or so project to replace him or be comparable. On the right side Lindstrom isn’t and maybe Tuomisto if he drastically develops. Everyone COULD be available, “if Gretzky can be traded anyone can”. Nothing wrong with locking him up lock term so the Holland reference is rather pointless.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
I think you’re underselling Hronek if you think 2 or more prospects next year or so project to replace him or be comparable. On the right side Lindstrom isn’t and maybe Tuomisto if he drastically develops. Everyone COULD be available, “if Gretzky can be traded anyone can”. Nothing wrong with locking him up lock term so the Holland reference is rather pointless.
I could be underselling him, but we won’t know how he will react until it happens. But his defensive game isn’t all that good and he didn’t score a goal all last year with a goaltender in the net. There are a lot of extenuating circumstances for last year, but I’m not willing to commit term/money for Hronek as a 3/4 d-man. Thankfully we can sign him to a 3 year show-me contract and still have a year of RFA left, but this is where I think things might get interesting between the player and Yzerman. Which is why I say he COULD be on this list.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
All that RHD talent possibly coming available and Chevy trades for 4 years of 6 million dollar, LHD, Nate freakin Schmidt…. :facepalm:

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
I see it the other way...unless he's extended by the trade-deadline, he's as good as gone. Blues aren't Cup contenders, and after losing Schwartz, Dunn, Petro & Bouwmeester for nothing the franchise can't afford to let Parayko walk too. He's probably looking for $50M over 7-years...if Army won't pay that, somebody surely will...if he shows he's healthy.

Imagine Calgary or EDM would be desirable destinations for him, though I'm not seeing his next contract fitting with the Oilers.
I fully expect his next contract to be just that... somewhere in the 7x7 range

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
what is the probability of minnesota trading dumba ? would freeing up some cap space be desirable ?

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Who are some of the big names out there that shoots right or plays Right D that can potentially be on the move this season especially at the trade deadline.

Lets assume that the team they play on are out of the playoff race. Would love to hear cost to obtain some of these players or if you think they would even be made available at all.

Parayko
Petry
Klingberg
Dumba
Rasmus Andersson
Damon Severson
Connor Murphy

Would Ekblad be available?

I'm sure there is more, would love to hear other names thrown out there and their perceived return value
Ekblads NMC just kicked in, There's noway he's leaving Florida and the same could be said with Jeff Petry.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Quite sure Yzerman will trade either him or Troy Stecher at the deadline.

Most probably Stecher.
Right because Yzerman is going to trade Hronek whom still has 4 years of control left get real. Stecher and Leddy would be the ones to get moved not Hronek. I only see Yzerman dealing Hronek in a bigger package for a sure fire upgrade either at LD or 1C.

David Lunch

Apr 11, 2018
Sean Walker from the Kings might be moved this season. Something to do with the possible emergence of either Faber or Clarke or Strand or somebody else.......

2nd this. Walker is also the most logical candidate to be part of a package to land the “dynamic left shot Dman under the age of 26” that has been Blake’s main trade target need/desire.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Wouldn’t the Rangers prefer to move Trouba and keep the very good prospects on ELC’s as cap crunch might be tricky when Fox and Zib and the rest of the kids will be getting raises? Or does Trouba have a NMC
Trouba has a NMC for the next 3 seasons that turns into a modified NTC for the last 2. Doubt he waves early, and doubt nils Lundkvist plays 3rd pair for that long.
Either he’ll be a top 4 LD after this season and make the switch, or he’ll be traded.

schneider is going nowhere. He’ll get first pair minutes in Hartford this season, then come up for 3rd pair duty next year and start easing into trouba role/minutes over the following 1.5 seasons imo. That will probably be the first point the rangers will entertain dealing trouba. They need his size/physicality. Schneider is the only guy we have that has that in his arsenal along solid puck moving skills and an unknown offensive ceiling.
Imo, Lundkvist will be the trade chip, but he’s going to cost a lot. He has legitimate 1st pair upside. Strong 2-way D with a howitzer for a shot. If we didn’t have Fox already, Nils wouldn’t be available. He probably goes in a package for a young Top 2 C

Last edited:

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
He does Trouba have a NMC. Also even if he didn't who is going to want to take on another 5 years of him at 8 million?
A lot of teams. Especially after this offseason. Big RD that are mobile and can play top 4 minutes command a ton. Trouba gets no PP time, so of course his offense is down, but he’s been very important to the NYR blue line. Ask KAndre Miller.
When Trouba got hurt the rangers D looked overmatched and Fox was overworked. People think cause Trouba doesn’t score 50 pts here like in Winnipeg he’s a bad contract. That’s not his role here. We don’t really need him for points. If he Only puts up 30 pts and Plays how he’s been since he’s embraced his new role, he has a ton of value.
Having said that, rangers probably wouldn’t entertain dealing him for at least 3 seasons or so. But they do have so real high end prospects on both LD and RD. The only thing they really would want in return back for them is young centers on good contracts or 1st rd picks. They don’t need wingers, have too many already. Same with defensemen. Their set in goal, so without centers or 1sts I don’t see how a deal gets done.

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Right because Yzerman is going to trade Hronek whom still has 4 years of control left get real. Stecher and Leddy would be the ones to get moved not Hronek. I only see Yzerman dealing Hronek in a bigger package for a sure fire upgrade either at LD or 1C.

Just he kept Mantha in the organization after a 4-year deal.

If a right deal comes, Hronek is gone.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
If LL hasn't actually signed anyone to replace Leddy, Eberle, Palmeiri, Cizikas (he most certainly has!!), the Isles collapse, and Pulock wants Seth Jones money....then add Pulock to the list. Fortunately, all three of those scenarios seem highly unlikely and virtually impossible to happen at the same time, but anything is possible these days and if I don't write it I'll never have a chance and being the internet champion I could be if it happens.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Ottawa fans are always up for trading Zaitsev. Not sure, Ottawa management thinks the same way, though.
Zaitsev isn’t going to be available, Sens/Leafs fans bash him for reasons unknown to me but he is actually a solid player. Ottawa doesn’t have anyone ready to surpass him yet so he isn’t going anywhere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad