Proposal: 1OA pick to Ottawa

StonebeatsMcdavid

Jul 3, 2020
and none of those ends up being close to as good as laf.

if this was the 2015 draft it would be Mcdavid for Strome, Colin White, Brown and Mitchell Stephens

that would go down as the worst trade in NHL history

Ok but in 2014 it could have been Draisaitl & Pastrnak let alone who ever else they could have chosen and all for Ekblad. What about the Yakupov draft? Or the RNH draft, he's a good player but I think it would have worked out better.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
likely at 5? just because detroit took a RHD last year doesnt mean they arent going BPA at 4

Hey could be...but IMO Raymond/Rossi are better players than Drysdale at 4th. He's no Makar, Dahlin, Byram. I see him a peg below.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Yeah, my big question is who Detroit takes at 4. Pretty safe to say Lafreniere, Byfield and Stutzle will be off the board. Ottawa will have some good choices at number 5, but I do hope Drysdale is still there.

So do I. It isnt as sexy as taking a potential point per game forward, but if the sens can come out of that draft with a new top line forward and a potential top pair d.... that's amazing. Never mind what they land with their next 5 picks before round 3.

If branstrom finds his potential, the senators could be looking at one of the most dangerous bluelines in the nhl.

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
and none of those ends up being close to as good as laf.

if this was the 2015 draft it would be Mcdavid for Strome, Colin White, Brown and Mitchell Stephens

that would go down as the worst trade in NHL history

Lafrenierre is not McDavid. And the top end of this draft is the heaviest it's been in a long ass time.

Guitpik

Jul 8, 2006
Yeah, it's not a deal that's acceptable at all to the Sens especially with the lack of center depth that parallel's the Flames.

Maybe a deal with the Kings would be more likely as they have ridiculous C depth in their prospect pool. Problem is, they're only moving up 1 spot and don't have another 1st rounder to use as a chip.
Kings are committed to their rebuild. They aren't at the point where they can trade assets it will take to move up one spot. They'll have a true #1 C on the board for their pick and be more than happy with that.

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
Dude, does it even matter? Nothing I say will convince you otherwise.

My opinion:
Tkachuk is a Landeskog-caliber player with an edge. A good player but not a superstar.
Brown is a bust - I have never liked the pick. He is NOT worth a 1st anymore.
Brannstrom is a 2nd line replaceable dman. Maybe worth a late 1st at this point?
In Hindsight I admit I should have not included Norris, and left it at Brown.
The 5th pick is obviously good.

From that POV, Laf (A superstar IMO) is worth it. Time will tell, and I'm sure you have your own opinions but those are mine.

- Umm, Brady Tkachuk was on his way to a 300+ shot and 300+ hit season (first ever in NHL) while bringing intensity every game. He also has 22/21 goals and 23 assists in 71 games for both his 18 and 19 year old seasons. Pretty damn good stuff.
If he topped out as Landeskog that's still a good 1st line LW.... "Landeskog brings a lot more than leadership and handsomeness to the top line - he's great defensively, has a good shot, and excels on the powerplay" .

EVF8Rz1WsAAErp4

- It's fine not to like a pick, but don't let your bias confuse you that Logan Brown is a bust. He is NOT a bust. Just because he's not tearing up the NHL in his D+1 season doesn't make him a bad player of any kind. He put 70 points in his last 81 AHL games while battling some injuries and call ups to Ottawa. If he is given a legit shot at top 6 NHL minutes with PP time this year (and stays healthy) he is going to make you eat crow.

- Brannstrom was the "premium" return piece for Mark Stone, you don't just casually lump in him in a trade. And still, a projected top 4 defenseman is a great asset.

- 5th Overall is great but you don't add a 1st line LW, a potential top 6 C prospect with size and a projected top 4 D prospect to get 1st overall (Unless its a McDavid level prospect). Lafreniere will be a great player but this trade proposal hurts our depth and is a major overkill. I much rather add smaller pieces to 3rd overall and keep 5th if we're trading up to 1st.

Reactions: OmniSens

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
- Umm, Brady Tkachuk was on his way to a 300+ shot and 300+ hit season (first ever in NHL) while bringing intensity every game. He also has 22/21 goals and 23 assists in 71 games for both his 18 and 19 year old seasons. Pretty damn good stuff.
If he topped out as Landeskog that's still a good 1st line LW.... "Landeskog brings a lot more than leadership and handsomeness to the top line - he's great defensively, has a good shot, and excels on the powerplay" .

EVF8Rz1WsAAErp4

- It's fine not to like a pick, but don't let your bias confuse you that Logan Brown is a bust. He is NOT a bust. Just because he's not tearing up the NHL in his D+1 season doesn't make him a bad player of any kind. He put 70 points in his last 81 AHL games while battling some injuries and call ups to Ottawa. If he is given a legit shot at top 6 NHL minutes with PP time this year (and stays healthy) he is going to make you eat crow.

- Brannstrom was the "premium" return piece for Mark Stone, you don't just casually lump in him in a trade. And still, a projected top 4 defenseman is a great asset.

- 5th Overall is great but you don't add a 1st line LW, a potential top 6 C prospect with size and a projected top 4 D prospect to get 1st overall (Unless its a McDavid level prospect). Lafreniere will be a great player but this trade proposal hurts our depth and is a major overkill. I much rather add smaller pieces to 3rd overall and keep 5th if we're trading up to 1st.

1 - You describe Landeskog for some reason. There's a reason I used him as a comparable, and all you did was describe why.

2 - Your opinion on Brown is different that mine. OK

3 - You claim Brannstrom is a good asset. I never sad he wans't.

4 - We disagree on adding to 5th, rather than 3rd.

I don't really see where this is going? lol

slimbob8

Aug 11, 2016
No team owning the 1st overall is making this deal. I get it....you were so close to winning the lottery and in your head you're giving up fair value to move up only a couple spots in the draft. But in reality the value on franchise talents like Laf is astronomical and it takes so much more than fair value to get it done.

You either win the lottery or you don't draft 1st overall; simple as that. That pick hasn't been traded once in the salary cap era and this year will be no different, especially with somebody this good at the top.

Last edited:
Reactions: SensFactor

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
No team owning the 1st overall is making this deal. I get it....you were so close to winning the lottery and in your head you're giving up fair value to move up only a couple spots in the draft. But in reality the value on franchise talents like Laf is astronomical and it takes so much more than fair value to get it done.

You either win the lottery or you don't draft 1st overall; simple as that. That pick hasn't been traded once in the salary cap era and this year will be no different, especially with somebody this good at the top.

Exactly this.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yes, even with them in the mix.

Ask yourself what the incentive is for the team moving the 1st overall pick? To acquire a mid-1st, a 2nd, and a prospect that has 2nd/3rd line upside?

Yes, except you left out the 3rd OA.
Is the difference between Laf and either Byfield or Stutzle = a mid/late 1st, a very early 2nd and a decent prospect? Laf is almost certainly better than either of the next two, but not by that great a margin.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Is the difference between Laf and either Byfield or Stutzle = a mid/late 1st, a very early 2nd and a decent prospect? Laf is almost certainly better than either of the next two, but not by that great a margin.
I’d rather the 1st unless it’s 3+5 or Noriss +3rd. Laf is more ready and our window is now.
If the gap between 2nd and 3rd as one person proposed is Brannstrom a mid 1st 17 and later a second and a prospect is weak sauce unless prospect is Brannstrom or Norris.

Last edited:

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Yes, the difference is absolutely more than a mid/late 1st, 2nd, and prospect.

Blows my mind how people think that a GM with the 1st overall pick would be willing to just hand it over for the right to drop down two places and some spare parts.

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
1 - You describe Landeskog for some reason. There's a reason I used him as a comparable, and all you did was describe why.

2 - Your opinion on Brown is different that mine. OK

3 - You claim Brannstrom is a good asset. I never sad he wans't.

4 - We disagree on adding to 5th, rather than 3rd.

I don't really see where this is going? lol

Because you don't seem to understand the insane over payment you're just casually offering for 1st overall.

- If Tkachuk becomes Landeskog, that's a star 1st line LW with captain intangibles. You seem to be severely undervaluing that.
- Brown had 42 points in 56 games as an AHL rookie last year. This year he had 28 points in 25 games, which was good for T13 overall in points per game. He's good and your statement of him being any kind of bust is just false.
- Again Brannstrom was a 15th overall and the premium return in the Stone deal. "Today is one of the proudest days I've had in the NHL" said Pierre Dorion after acquiring Brannstrom who projects as a top 4 D.
- You originally added a choice of Norris which was further insanity.
- And on top of all that, you plop that 2020 5th overall pick in there to cap off the terrible trade offer.

You offer maybe 3rd OA, the NYI 1st and another piece (one of Brown or Brannstrom at the very most) but that's as far as you go for Lafreniere... if not just keep the top end prospect depth + quantity of picks and come away with one of the best draft hauls in the last 25 years.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I’d rather the 1st unless it’s 3+5 or Noriss +3rd. Laf is more ready and our window is now.
If the gap between 2nd and 3rd as one person proposed is Brannstrom a mid 1st 17 and later a second and a prospect is weak sauce unless prospect is Brannstrom or Norris.

I'd rather have Norris than Brown - but its close. 3 OA will be a choice between Stutzle and Byfield, more likely Byfield. Either one could be our new 2C, though neither is likely ready for at least another year. The other 1st could be a very good D prospect, which we need. If the Isles go deep, there are still some good F prospects late in the 1st rd. There are also some very interesting RHD prospects who will be available in the 2nd rd. That 33 OA could be quite valuable.

Brown may still be a little iffy at 2C but he appears to be progressing pretty well. He exceeded the ppg mark in the AHL this year and wasn't out of place in the NHL for a time. There is something to be said for big centres. We could very soon have;
Scheifele - 6'3
Byfield - 6'4
Brown - 6'6
Lowry 6'5

The most important pieces in this package are obviously #3 and the C prospect. I think Norris is more likely ready to play 2C sooner than Brown but both are either NHL ready now or very close. Both project as middle 6 C's. The later 2 picks could rebuild the right side of our defense, though there would be a year or 3 wait. This package could extend our window by several more years..

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yes, the difference is absolutely more than a mid/late 1st, 2nd, and prospect.

Blows my mind how people think that a GM with the 1st overall pick would be willing to just hand it over for the right to drop down two places and some spare parts.

It depends on the depth of the draft class. Lafreniere is not rated as highly as some other recent 1OA picks, like McDavid or Matthews, though he is clearly the consensus 1st. But Stutzle and Byfield are not rated as being very far behind. Then there is a bit of a drop off but the quality continues well into the 2nd rd. But the key things here are just how big is the gap between Laf and the next 2, and what might the needs of the team with the 1st pick be?

Jets don't need LW, they do need C and RHD. This proposal could be a very good fit for those needs. I would want Norris instead of Brown. Make that change and I would do it.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Because you don't seem to understand the insane over payment you're just casually offering for 1st overall.

- If Tkachuk becomes Landeskog, that's a star 1st line LW with captain intangibles. You seem to be severely undervaluing that.
- Brown had 42 points in 56 games as an AHL rookie last year. This year he had 28 points in 25 games, which was good for T13 overall in points per game. He's good and your statement of him being any kind of bust is just false.
- Again Brannstrom was a 15th overall and the premium return in the Stone deal. "Today is one of the proudest days I've had in the NHL" said Pierre Dorion after acquiring Brannstrom who projects as a top 4 D.
- You originally added a choice of Norris which was further insanity.
- And on top of all that, you plop that 2020 5th overall pick in there to cap off the terrible trade offer.

You offer maybe 3rd OA, the NYI 1st and another piece (one of Brown or Brannstrom at the very most) but that's as far as you go for Lafreniere... if not just keep the top end prospect depth + quantity of picks and come away with one of the best draft hauls in the last 25 years.

Are you having fun arguing with yourself? lol

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
delete your account.

Just because I'm not a homer, doesn't mean I should delete my account.

I get that my offer isn't in line with most of the fanbase. It's kind of pathetic that you guys can't accept that. lol

Note: I've since removed Norris BTW

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Lafrenierre is not McDavid. And the top end of this draft is the heaviest it's been in a long ass time.

Exactly why I'm fine with keeping 3 and 5.

Besides, we need a 1C one hell of a lot more than a first line winger. This is one of those rare years where the value is in multiple picks in the top end, not the top player itself.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Just because I'm not a homer, doesn't mean I should delete my account.

I get that my offer isn't in line with most of the fanbase. It's kind of pathetic that you guys can't accept that. lol

Note: I've since removed Norris BTW

There's also a serious question with getting Laf.....who will be his 1C? How do we expect to get the most out of our franchise guy if he doesn't have anyone to play with? And how do we get a #1 center in the future without a top pick (the odds of getting a top 3 pick in the next few years is up to those crappy lotto balls) and we just gave away all our premier pieces to get the first pick?

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
There's also a serious question with getting Laf.....who will be his 1C? How do we expect to get the most out of our franchise guy if he doesn't have anyone to play with? And how do we get a #1 center in the future without a top pick (the odds of getting a top 3 pick in the next few years is up to those crappy lotto balls) and we just gave away all our premier pieces to get the first pick?

My (terrible apparently) offer keeps the 3rd overall pick. The hope is that one of Stutzle or Byfield would be the future 1C.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
My (terrible apparently) offer keeps the 3rd overall pick. The hope is that one of Stutzle or Byfield would be the future 1C.

If I have have the 1st and we are negotiating a trade, you don't escape not giving up the 3rd+ and the + would also be a tough sell to pry the 1st away

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
If I have have the 1st and we are negotiating a trade, you don't escape not giving up the 3rd+ and the + would also be a tough sell to pry the 1st away

In my offer, Tkachuk replaces 3rd overall in a sense. Plus I'm overpaying to a degree where it upsets the entire fanbase apparently. lol

Instead of 3rd, it's Tkachuk +
5th
Brannstrom
L.Brown

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
In my offer, Tkachuk replaces 3rd overall in a sense. Plus I'm overpaying to a degree where it upsets the entire fanbase apparently. lol

Instead of 3rd, it's Tkachuk +
5th
Brannstrom
L.Brown

Over pay and other fans give you respect but your own fan base jumps on your back. Under pay and all other teams fan based jumps you. Sounds like something you see on HF boards? :laugh:

Fun to chat but that #1OA won't be traded IMO

Reactions: KevinRedkey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad