Matthews
Kutznetsov
Pettersson
Couture
Duchene
Kopitar
Getzlaf
Barzal

Probably a few more, I am tired of typing.

I agree with that list, his point total is inflated by playing with Gaudreau. He doesn't drive the play or create chances for his wingers, he's just a good finisher.

Hell, i'd put Horvat in that list too. He has had a steady rise to his point totals playing with garbage winger, imagine if he had a playmaker like Gadreau feeding him.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
McDavid
Crosby
Malkin
McKinnon
Barkov
Point
Scheifele
Tavares
Marner
Reichel
Aho
Bergeron
Draisatl
Stamkos
Seguin
Toews
O'reilly
Coutourier
Giroux
Backstrom
Larkins
Matthews
Kutznetsov
Pettersson
Couture
Duchene
Kopitar
Getzlaf
Barzal

Probably a few more, I am tired of typing.
There's maybe 25 of those that make sense. This is actually such a silly list. Could you not think of actual centres? Like Draisaitl, Giroux, and Marner aren't even centres, other than here and there. Kuznetsov, so far, is not better imo. And Getzlaf? Like, Getzlaf right now is better than Monahan? If you had a choice between Monahan and Getlzlaf today, you would take Getzlaf?

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
I agree with that list, his point total is inflated by playing with Gaudreau. He doesn't drive the play or create chances for his wingers, he's just a good finisher.

Hell, i'd put Horvat in that list too. He has had a steady rise to his point totals playing with garbage winger, imagine if he had a playmaker like Gadreau feeding him.
Horvat is not better than Monahan in any sense when it comes to overall talent and playing ability. Saying Monahan produces nothing shows that you know next to nothing about him.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Just out of pure personal interest, what would a trade for Malkin look like?

Pens trade: Malkin, Rust, Jarry

Flames trade: Monahan, Hanifin, 88 overall (to be used to dump Johnson)

Pens lineup:

Guentzel-Crosby-Kahun
McCann-Monahan-Kessel
Simon-Bjugstad-Hornqvist
ZAR-Blueger-FA/AHL promotion

Dumoulin-Letang
Hanifin-Schultz
Pettersson-Gudbranson

Murray
DeSmith

Flames lineup:

Gaudreau-Malkin-Lindholm
Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik
Bennett-Dube-Rust
Mangiapane-Ryan-Czarnik (Jankowski trade bait)

Brodie-Giordano
Valimaki-Hamonic
Kylington-Andersson

Rittich
Jarry

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
There's maybe 25 of those that make sense. This is actually such a silly list. Could you not think of actual centres? Like Draisaitl, Giroux, and Marner aren't even centres, other than here and there. Kuznetsov, so far, is not better imo. And Getzlaf? Like, Getzlaf right now is better than Monahan? If you had a choice between Monahan and Getlzlaf today, you would take Getzlaf?

So you agreed on 25...that's good. There are probably another dozen that we can argue.

And yeah some of those guys are not being used as centers but can play center.

I wouldn't trade Monahan for getzlaf because of age but if I have to win a playoff series today, I would take getzlaf no question asked

It proved my point...he is at the bottom of 1C

Last edited:

vcanuck

Feb 7, 2011
Horvat is not better than Monahan in any sense when it comes to overall talent and playing ability. Saying Monahan produces nothing shows that you know next to nothing about him.

I know a lot of about boring Monahan and no Canuck fan would trade Horvat for him.

Monahan is a one trick pony that has an elite playmaker to feed him open nets. Horvat does everything better except scoring right now, because like i said, he has trash wingers to play with.

Who would you match up against McDavid in a 7 game series, Horvat or Monahan? easy answer.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
So you agreed on 25...that's good. There are probably another dozen that we can argue.

And yeah some of those guys are not being used as centers but can play center.

It proved my point...he is at the bottom of 1C
There are still a lot of players there that could be argued but I don't want to seem like a homer without knowing everything about every player. He isn't top 10 but he is still an amazing centre.

I know a lot of about boring Monahan and no Canuck fan would trade Horvat for him.

Monahan is a one trick pony that has an elite playmaker to feed him open nets. Horvat does everything better except scoring right now, because like i said, he has trash wingers to play with.

Who would you match up against McDavid in a 7 game series, Horvat or Monahan? easy answer.
alright, all you're doing is proving that you know jack all about Monahan and want to pump up your own player by jumping on someone elses bandwagon of naming centres better than Monahan. I wouldn't want to put Monahan on McDavid since we have a better shutdown C who has proven to be able to actually shut down McD. Monahan is much better used as a goal scorer as that is his best quality, but he is still great defensively.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
How much more of a 1C do you need than Monahan. He's been as consistent as they come with production. He's the legitimacy of a top line centermen.
Monahan is clearly very much a product of Gaudreau. That's not necessarily bad, because he produces very well with him. But Monny doesn't drive a line by himself.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
There are still a lot of players there that could be argued but I don't want to seem like a homer without knowing everything about every player. He isn't top 10 but he is still an amazing centre.

Nothing wrong with being an honest Homer. Monahan is a good scorer but he needs to improve other aspects of his game significantly for the flames to be a contender.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Nothing wrong with being an honest Homer. Monahan is a good scorer but he needs to improve other aspects of his game significantly for the flames to be a contender.
Fair points, but I think with his passing and goal scoring along he's up there with the likes of Coutourier, Kopitar and mayyybe Backstrom. He needs to become more dynamic with how he scores his goals but right now he is still an amazing centre imo.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Monahan is clearly very much a product of Gaudreau. That's not necessarily bad, because he produces very well with him. But Monny doesn't drive a line by himself.

Well I tell you what, the Buffalo Sabres will be more than happy to take Monahan from Calgary for the price of #31, Alex Nylander, and ______ :D. (Yes, I know this is a non starter)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad