Proposal: 1C for Sean Monahan+

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I mean its 3 playoff rounds now that Gaudreau has like 2 goals total in his last 14 playoff games.

In their most recent playoffs, Gaudreau and the goalie had the same number of points.

LOL, if this was any other star he would be getting absolutely destroyed. Can you imagine the meltdown if Tavares or Matthews or Marner had 3 playoff rounds like that?

That's not a slump anymore, that's just being easy to shut down when playoff checking kicks into gear, and teams are not going to stop doing it regardless of Monahan.

Ya but did those guys have to play with a sack of crap 30 goal scorer?

I mean can you imagine how awful it must be to play with the kind of garbage that can only manage 30 goals?

Monahan should feel lucky he is even allowed in an NHL rink let alone play on the ice if all he can manage is 30 goals and 80 points.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Over the past 5 seasons Sean Monahan ranks 9th in the entire NHL in takeaways, and has a very positive differential in terms of giveaways as well. He has nearly identical giveaway/takeaway numbers to the likes of Barkov and Backlund who many classify as elite two way players. For a player who apparently lacks the smarts, footspeed, strength ect.. that is certainly a very telling statistic.

Sean Monahan is criminally underrated. He was playing at an elite level for the first 50 games of this season which people are quick to overlook for a smaller sample size in which he struggled. I don't think its a coincidence that when Monahan startled to struggle down the stretch (thanks in large part to an injury) that the top line completely fell of a cliff. He does more than the vast majority of fans want to give him credit for. He is not an elite puck carrier, and he won't flash you with a jaw dropping play - that is not his game and never will be.. He is however an extremely talented and effective hockey player coming off a season in which he was over a point per game.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Gaudreau has been underwhelming for 3 straight playoff rounds now.

The fact is teams are going to play him that way in the playoffs because it works and you can't yell at Monahan about it, what the hell is he supposed to do.

When was I yelling abot Monahan? Your doing the same crap flames fans do to Monahan, except applying it to Gaudreau. He’s had two poor series, he was also great in 2015. Sometimes that’s just the nature of the game.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
crazy time big trades between these two teams are always barn burners

Auston Mathews + Willie Nylander + RFA rights Kapanen + Zaitzev or a 2nd

Monahan + TJ Brodie + James Neal + RFA rights Matthew Tkachuk

the NHL would love this one and the battle of Alberta Auston v Connor and then meet in the playoffs would be epic

FanTheFlames

Aug 20, 2017
This last playoff series.... Monahan 2 playoff points in 5 games, gaudreau 1 playoff point in 5 games, bennett 5 playoff points in 5 games... since this thread is all about playoff points and everyone says bennett is a bust does that mean gaudreau and monahan are busts also? The fact is the entire top 6 for the flames no showed in that series. The 3m line wasn't shutting down the MacKinnon line and the Gaudreau line wasn't playing at the same level as the Avs top line. The best players in that series were Derek Ryan, Sam Bennett, Andrew Mangiapane and Andersson. The rest of the team wasnt working and got run over.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
When was I yelling abot Monahan? Your doing the same crap flames fans do to Monahan, except applying it to Gaudreau. He’s had two poor series, he was also great in 2015. Sometimes that’s just the nature of the game.

It's actually not the nature of the game for a so-called "superstar" to get blanked like that in 2 full playoff rounds and largely ineffective for a big chunk of the previous series too.

He's lucky the media in Calgary is a bunch of teddy bears, if he was in many other markets he would be getting absolutely killed. Even some US markets.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
It's actually not the nature of the game for a so-called "superstar" to get blanked like that in 2 full playoff rounds and largely ineffective for a big chunk of the previous series too.

He's lucky the media in Calgary is a bunch of teddy bears, if he was in many other markets he would be getting absolutely killed. Even some US markets.

Your right, it’s great to have the oilers media run the players out of town by the bunches, definitely makes the place extremely attractive to play for. Cough cough top pairing dman on cup winner Schultz and Jordan playoff performer Eberle. Wonder what happens with puljujarvi next...

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
This makes Calgary a worse team by spending almost double the cap on a player marginally better than Monahan offensively. Kopitar is miles ahead better defensively but that’s not worth the extra cap hit and years on an older player.
You're not supposed to notice that. Kopitar has two Stanley Cups, a Hart nomination, and two Selke's, c'mon, and all at the low price of $10M a season over the next five years.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Your right, it’s great to have the oilers media run the players out of town by the bunches, definitely makes the place extremely attractive to play for. Cough cough top pairing dman on cup winner Schultz and Jordan playoff performer Eberle. Wonder what happens with puljujarvi next...

Those guys aren't dubbed "franchise players" though, any other star player would be getting it for those kinds of performances.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Over the past 5 seasons Sean Monahan ranks 9th in the entire NHL in takeaways, and has a very positive differential in terms of giveaways as well. He has nearly identical giveaway/takeaway numbers to the likes of Barkov and Backlund who many classify as elite two way players. For a player who apparently lacks the smarts, footspeed, strength ect.. that is certainly a very telling statistic.

Sean Monahan is criminally underrated. He was playing at an elite level for the first 50 games of this season which people are quick to overlook for a smaller sample size in which he struggled. I don't think its a coincidence that when Monahan startled to struggle down the stretch (thanks in large part to an injury) that the top line completely fell of a cliff. He does more than the vast majority of fans want to give him credit for. He is not an elite puck carrier, and he won't flash you with a jaw dropping play - that is not his game and never will be.. He is however an extremely talented and effective hockey player coming off a season in which he was over a point per game.
Thank god you said this. I knew a stat like that existed and to have you come in with the slam dunk on everyone in here saying he's shit defensively or whatever is a breath of fresh air. Most people here have so much recency bias for post-all star break Flames that they lost sight of the first half of the season that allowed them to even make the playoffs. Monahan was on another level entirely and that gets ignored because he no hit gooood and he score off good pass.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017

What does this have to do with Gaudreau's performance in the play-offs or Monahan?

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017

There are plenty of markets in Canada that would be making a ton of excuses for him, especially since he would be the golden boy there.

Stauffer would be out there with a thousand excuses, including aliens, as reasons for his performances and the majority of the TO media would be so busy wondering if he was a top player in the league or only a top 5 forward that they would miss the fact that the play-off flops might be a concern. Plus they would have also moved onto to proclaiming the Raptors as the greatest team in the history of the universe to rag on him too much.

BackhandToedrag

Oct 25, 2016
This is what I love we got people saying Monahan isn't a 1C but it seems like most people (not all but a shockingly high number) think Zibanejad is

Mike Smith

Jan 9, 2019
It is a matter on line composition... not how good any of these guys are individually. The Flames as a team are soft... particularly in the top six and in the center position through the lineup. What I think the Flames need to do to correct this is bring in another 1C to start... Gaudreau and Lindholm would both benefit from playing with a big power forward type center, it would give both of them space, better zone entry options, and someone to add grit to the line... who I don't know but for arguement lets say a young Getzlaf type player. Monahan on the otherhand I think should be paired with Matt Tkachuk and a power forward type RW... That would not only take some pressure off Mony, but also give him a better shot at getting through 80 games injury free as he would not need to be the physical player he really isn't. Not so much a demotion as the Flames putting together a 1A and 1B with both lines way more balanced. To get these two players... I'd be alright with trading not only the Brodie, Frolik, Hammer options but possibly Backlund as well depending on the return...

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
The Kopitar one for one is almost intriguing.

Obviously Kopitar is better but Monahan is younger with the better contract. Value is probably pretty equal. Kings aren't winning in the next 4 years so why not get a good center. I'd do it.

Like do people not watch Monahan? Ya he's got a great shot and knows how to get open but he plays like a winger, doesn't tilt the ice whatsoever, and disappears if he's not within 20 feet of the net.

That's not a 1C. I don't know what the hell it is but it's not a 1C.

Reactions: Dack

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Maybe playing well when Johnny is in a slump?

Not being completely reliant on his winger to create offence probably wouldn't hurt.

The Kopitar one for one is almost intriguing.

Obviously Kopitar is better but Monahan is younger with the better contract. Value is probably pretty equal. Kings aren't winning in the next 4 years so why not get a good center. I'd do it.

Like do people not watch Monahan? Ya he's got a great shot and knows how to get open but he plays like a winger, doesn't tilt the ice whatsoever, and disappears if he's not within 20 feet of the net.

That's not a 1C. I don't know what the hell it is but it's not a 1C.

People dont actually see the guy play and just assume we're trying to run a great player out of town.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Let's see 30 centers better than Monahan. List them.
McDavid
Crosby
Malkin
McKinnon
Barkov
Point
Scheifele
Tavares
Marner
Reichel
Aho
Bergeron
Draisatl
Stamkos
Seguin
Toews
O'reilly
Coutourier
Giroux
Backstrom
Larkins
Matthews
Kutznetsov
Pettersson
Couture
Duchene
Kopitar
Getzlaf
Barzal

Probably a few more, I am tired of typing.

Reactions: vcanuck

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad