Proposal: 1C for Sean Monahan+

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Trading Monahan would likely be the most foolish thing the Flames can do. Sure he had a bad playoff run, he was also injured though. 2 years prior when the Flames made the playoffs and were swept by the ducks Monahan scored a goal in every single game and was arguably the best player on the team that series. Writing him off after one bad series is idiotic. He's also only 24 and has plenty of time to improve on his weaknesses.

Revisionist history 101 and a reason kids need to stay away from hockeyDB.

Dude was garbage in that series and was the benefactor of scoring PP goals. At 5v5 he was trash in that series too. So much so they had to separate him and John. Got taken behind the shed by the Ducks top 9.

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
What is the market for a soft, zero intensity C who ghosts in the playoffs? It's a tough one to gauge.

He would have to be your teams complimentary player. Can't drive anything.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Because a number of Flames fans have decided to put the majority, or in some cases, all the blame for the Flames woes on Monahan,

He is an easy target, quiet, non-flashy game and Canadian so the group that hates him all negatives that they can go after.

Non flashy means he is not doing what a center is supposed to provide?

Dude is a good sniper. Rest of his games is not developing

He is 24 so there is some hope but....

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Non flashy means he is not doing what a center is supposed to provide?

Dude is a good sniper. Rest of his games is not developing

He is 24 so there is some hope but....

No non flashy means he isn't skating around the outside doing nothing with the puck for 30 seconds before scoring which many people seem to get impressed with with other guys.

Monahan is more than a good sniper, he is a good passer, smart player, good at FO's, fine defensively.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Monahan is more than a good sniper, he is a good passer, smart player, good at FO's, fine defensively.

Nope none is true... Johnny creatss most of the chances on that line, not stupid but I wouldn't say he is a smart hockey player, misses coverage all the time.....below average defensively...soft as butter

He is currently a below average 1C. You can easily name 20-30 C better than him

FanTheFlames

Aug 20, 2017
I love the Monahan isnt a #1C threads. The fact is there isn't 30 Crosbys in the nhl to be #1C and even if you could get a Crosby level #1 in a trade you wouldnt have a team around that player to compete because you would need to trade your entire team to get him. The truth is since his rookie season in 2013/2014 (Terrible Calgary team) put up 34 pts (22 Goals) he has played 5 additionally seasons in the nhl and has 2-25+ goal seasons and 3- 30 goal seasons to his name and finished in the top 25 of all Centers in points in those 5 seasons with the highest rank being 11th amongst Centers this past season.He has a career Faceoff percentage of 50% which is what you need from a center and averaged just over 51% the last 4 seasons. The biggest fault in his game is his skating and defensive prowess which has slightly improved each season since his rookie debut (-20 +/-) to last season being a +7 and thats with being on a line with Gaudreau who has probably never even thought about defence.I think a lot of people forget he is only 24 years old because he has been in the league since 18, but he has the stats and growth to prove hes as close to a #1C you can get despite all the hate he gets.

Reactions: Big guns and Nanuuk

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Nope none is true... Johnny creatss most of the chances on that line, not stupid but I wouldn't say he is a smart hockey player, misses coverage all the time.....below average defensively...soft as butter

He is currently a below average 1C

He had scored 30 goals 3 times in his career, 27 2 other times and 22 before Gaudreau was even in the league.

If all it is is Gaudreau creating how come nobody else that plays with him can do what Monahan does? He knows where to go to score goals which is a very underrated skill, especially among fans.

He is fine defensively but I know haters can't admit that as they have to come up with BS to negate the impressive numbers he puts up year after year after year after year after year after year.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
The time to trade Monahan is now, I think. There's a lot of holes in his game that won't get fixed by being stapled to Gaudreau. Not to mention he is incredibly injury prone

Reactions: viper0220

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
And the Flames knew Monhan's skating wasn't the best when they picked him. As far as his defence goes many a player has to learn that during their career so he'll get better. Certainly, until last season anyway, Gaudreau didn't exactly back check a lot.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Gaudreau has been a no-show for the last two Calgary playoffs. 0 goals and 3 points total in 9 playoff games is pathetic.

That’s fine, it’s not like Mcdavid who’s been an absolute ghost in his 0 playoff games the last 2 years. Maybe he should carry harder lol

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
That’s fine, it’s not like Mcdavid who’s been an absolute ghost in his 0 playoff games the last 2 years. Maybe he should carry harder lol

I'll take my chances in the long run with him over what I've seen out little Johnny, sure. Monahan also to blame for the previous playoff round where he was a ghost too?

Monahan isn't like a franchise tier guy either, but blaming him for Gaudreau disappearing is hilarious.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
He had scored 30 goals 3 times in his career, 27 2 other times and 22 before Gaudreau was even in the league.

If all it is is Gaudreau creating how come nobody else that plays with him can do what Monahan does? He knows where to go to score goals which is a very underrated skill, especially among fans.

He is fine defensively but I know haters can't admit that as they have to come up with BS to negate the impressive numbers he puts up year after year after year after year after year after year.

Nobody is arguing that he can't score goals...at least in November....

Btw, Lindholm's stats also look pretty good with Johnny...so there goes that theory

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
I'll take my chances in the long run with him over what I've seen out little Johnny, sure. Monahan also to blame for the previous playoff round where he was a ghost too?

Monahan isn't like a franchise tier guy either, but blaming him for Gaudreau disappearing is hilarious.

If you think blaming players for 5 game sample sizes isn’t stupid in general, idk what to tell ya. The only truely horrid players in the series were Neal, jankowski, Hanifin, hamonic. You take out those four, the flames either go to 7 or advance to the second round regardless of the rest of the roster.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Trading Monahan would likely be the most foolish thing the Flames can do. Sure he had a bad playoff run, he was also injured though. 2 years prior when the Flames made the playoffs and were swept by the ducks Monahan scored a goal in every single game and was arguably the best player on the team that series. Writing him off after one bad series is idiotic. He's also only 24 and has plenty of time to improve on his weaknesses.

You underestimate the stupidity of Flames fans when it comes to Monahan. Guy could win the Lindsey, Hart, Art Ross, Conn Smythe and the Cup all in the same year and like 2 Flames fans would give him any credit.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Nobody is arguing that he can't score goals...at least in November....

Sure but it takes skill and smarts to score 30+.

You have implied that he is scoring goals because he plays with Gaudreau and I am pointing out that is not the case.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
If you think blaming players for 5 game sample sizes isn’t stupid in general, idk what to tell ya. The only truely horrid players in the series were Neal, jankowski, Hanifin, hamonic. You take out those four, the flames either go to 7 or advance to the second round regardless of the rest of the roster.

Gaudreau has been underwhelming for 3 straight playoff rounds now.

The fact is teams are going to play him that way in the playoffs because it works and you can't yell at Monahan about it, what the hell is he supposed to do.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Sure but it takes skill and smarts to score 30+.

You have implied that he is scoring goals because he plays with Gaudreau and I am pointing out that is not the case.

No I am saying he is doing nothing except scoring goals

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
There may be 1 or 2 centers out there that could be had that are better than BSM and they are likely old. So you're probably looking at a Malkin or Kopi or something like that.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002

The fact is teams are going to play him that way in the playoffs because it works and you can't yell at Monahan about it, what the hell is he supposed to do.

Maybe playing well when Johnny is in a slump?

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
No I am saying he is doing nothing except scoring goals

Well then I misunderstood what the "Johnny creates most of the chances".

If he is a dumb player how is he able to score 30+ goals then? I mean his shot is good but not amazing. He isn't a bull in front of the net like a Cam Neely, he isn't willing to take a beating and tip goals like Holmstrom.

And if he does nothing but scoring goals how come he isn't putting up Cy Young like stats heavy on goals, weak on assists?

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010

Heh, I like how the number of underwhelming playoff rounds keep increasing for you. First it was two, now it's three. Good stuff. You totally aren't reaching at all.

But as for the bolded, maybe he could try playing hockey instead of floating around the ice waiting for the 5'7" Gaudreau to get through two or three other guys. Maybe try back checking once in a while too. It's not a lot to ask really.

Or maybe he could try carrying the puck up the ice once? Oh no wait, he's way too slow for that. So perhaps he could actually try working on his skating for once. It's been what, 6 six years since he was drafted and it's still just as bad as it was when he was drafted.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Maybe playing well when Johnny is in a slump?

I mean its 3 playoff rounds now that Gaudreau has like 2 goals total in his last 14 playoff games.

In their most recent playoffs, Gaudreau and the goalie had the same number of points.

LOL, if this was any other star he would be getting absolutely destroyed. Can you imagine the meltdown if Tavares or Matthews or Marner had 3 playoff rounds like that?

That's not a slump anymore, that's just being easy to shut down when playoff checking kicks into gear, and teams are not going to stop doing it regardless of Monahan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad