Value of: 1b goalie to Calgary

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
We don't need to dump Smith though, his contract expires after this year. Wouldn't package a 1st just to offload Smith.

The reason for inclusion of Smith is the lack of Cap Space - $800K approx.. To offer a low end 1st is a minimum cost to make this financially work. Flames can't have both Goalies unless someone else is dumped. AVs will not take on a long term deal unless more players are involved or risk entering the playoffs with only Grubs as experienced.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
That is patently absurd. I'm no big fan of Varlamov and I would definitely trade him because I see no future for him in Colorado, but to suggest the difference in him and Smith is a conditional 3rd and an AHL goalie is out there. Smith is arguably one of the worst goalies this season, Varlamov while uneven in his performances lately is far better than that.

Sakic sure as hell won't trade a starting goalie for what amounts to jack all.

It was just a simple suggestion to get the ball rolling. Not saying that’s what it would take, that would be the starting offer, but i could easily see that being countered.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Howard would be a perfect fit, But i'd be surprised if Kronwall waived his 10 team list for Calgary. .
I asked because Peters knows Kronwall from before. Having Kronwall on the bottom pairing would definitely help out Calgary. A d core of Gio - Brodie, Hanifin - Hamonic and Kronwall - Andersson would be very good and Kronwall can fill in the 2nd pairing temporarily if need be.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Howard would be a perfect fit, But i'd be surprised if Kronwall waived his 10 team list for Calgary. .

As mentioned Peters knows Kronwall and there’s quite a few Swedes in Calgary. I could maybe see it, depends how much he values going to a strong team vs location I suppose

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Not an expiring contract. Too much $ for a backup going forward.

How much retention would it take for you to consider taking Allen? Allen at $1.6 cap retained for future considerations? That would put him in the Hutton, Elliott, Halak salary of $2.75.

Allen can be a good 1B. He is just very hot and cold. If you can keep his starts down, have a secondary platoon guy to ride out the cold streaks and don't put too much pressure on him to carry the team, then he is good. He was great in tandem with Elliott.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
How much retention would it take for you to consider taking Allen? Allen at $1.6 cap retained for future considerations? That would put him in the Hutton, Elliott, Halak salary of $2.75.

Allen can be a good 1B. He is just very hot and cold. If you can keep his starts down, have a secondary platoon guy to ride out the cold streaks and don't put too much pressure on him to carry the team, then he is good. He was great in tandem with Elliott.

The Flames are unlikely to take a multi-year contract. They would likely find an expiring contract and then sort things out in the off season. Allen does not look like a 1B right now, and even 2.75 is way too much for a floundering backup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad