part 2 - conditional:
If Georgiev hits certain production targets this season and next,
then
NYR 2021 2nd
for
CGY 2021 1st

If targets not met, no conditional payment

Young guy
barring injury should have enough energy to shoulder lots of netminder duties balance of year
tutored under renown goalie coach, guru Benoit Allaire
elc years
cost controlled rfa yrs follow

I’m looking for a proven goalie, not Georgiev. Doesn’t make sense to have Rittich and him as the tandem, that would be way too concerning.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Craig Anderson might be a good option when he comes back from his concussion. His numbers would be a heck of a lot better if he played for a good team like the Flames. His playoff experience would be an asset in mentoring Rittich.

Kosty17

Jan 1, 2019
Avs will give you Varly. We’ve got a deecent backup/potential starter in Francouz next year.

Kosty17

Jan 1, 2019
What would it take for Varly? Smith would need to come back in return. Salary is pretty much the same.

Well I’m no expert but judging from the pattern of trades now a days it would at least take Smith, a 1st and a prospect for Varly. The flames have a better chance at a playoff run this year so the price could be even higher if they try and ship him off at the deadline depending on how the year plays out for the avs up until then.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Well I’m no expert but judging from the pattern of trades now a days it would at least take Smith, a 1st and a prospect for Varly. The flames have a better chance at a playoff run this year so the price could be even higher if they try and ship him off at the deadline depending on how the year plays out for the avs up until then.
Don't see a rental goalie like Varlamov commanding 1st plus prosect.

Edit: the last time goalies were traded at the deadline was in 2017. Bishop and Enroth were both traded for peanuts.

Kosty17

Jan 1, 2019
Don't see a rental goalie like Varlamov commanding 1st plus prosect.

Edit: the last time goalies were traded at the deadline was in 2017. Bishop and Enroth were both traded for peanuts.

I suppose when the contract is up the next year it’s a harder sell. Enroth is kind of irrelevant. But yeah Bishop for a 4th is kind of crazy. I don’t know if Sakic would be trying to trade Varly as just a rental for some team tho. And we also would not be taking Smith back in real life either.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
The only goalie I really would like to add to our system in Sparks from Toronto.

I don't see Sparks being a good addition for us.

2 phase deal:
part 1 - actual:
Georgiev + NYR 2019 2nd
for
CGY 2019 1st + Rychel or other acceptable expiring cap dump

part 2 - conditional:
If Georgiev hits certain production targets this season and next,
then
NYR 2021 2nd
for
CGY 2021 1st

If targets not met, no conditional payment

Young guy
barring injury should have enough energy to shoulder lots of netminder duties balance of year
tutored under renown goalie coach, guru Benoit Allaire
elc years
cost controlled rfa yrs follow

Georgiev's stats aren't anything special making this proposal an extreme overpayment from Calgary's side.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
I suppose when the contract is up the next year it’s a harder sell. Enroth is kind of irrelevant. But yeah Bishop for a 4th is kind of crazy. I don’t know if Sakic would be trying to trade Varly as just a rental for some team tho. And we also would not be taking Smith back in real life either.
Smith's contract is expiring. Taking him back is not a big deal.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA

Smith and Varly's contracts both expire this year. We would not be adding anything significant to receiving an upgrade in net. The best thing the Flames could give the Avs is maybe a goaltending prospect like Gillies and also a conditional 3rd whether or not Varlamov either gets us far in the playoffs or if we re-sign him. Otherwise, the value in goalies isn't that great.

Kosty17

Jan 1, 2019
Smith and Varly's contracts both expire this year. We would not be adding anything significant to receiving an upgrade in net. The best thing the Flames could give the Avs is maybe a goaltending prospect like Gillies and also a conditional 3rd whether or not Varlamov either gets us far in the playoffs or if we re-sign him. Otherwise, the value in goalies isn't that great.

Yeah fair enough. I honestly don’t think Sakic is going to trade him at the deadline unless the avs absolute tank from here on out. He will want to use him and grub in the playoffs if they are in contention. It would be more of a trade for the off season to try and push for something for him before his contract expires

RedHot

Fire Dave Cameron (Fired)**
Aug 6, 2014
Calgary
Hudon is playing poorly this year yes, but that is because he isnt getting any time in montreals stacked offensive team. Okay, lets change up the deal.
To Montreal: Tkachuk + Kylington + Mike Smith
To Calgary: Price (25% retained) + 2nd Rounder

You get a top 3 goalie that can take you to the cup and Montreal gets a goalie, an AHL caliber D and a top winger

lets do it
Let’s not.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Ryan Miller .922 SV% when he's healthy again ? Ducks may be out of playoff spot by the deadline & could move him to a contender looking to add a quality goalie. When Healthy: Miller is a top tier backup goalie.
Would likely only cost a mid round pick ?

If Chad Johnson ends up back on Waivers after Miller is back then you could claim Chad Johnson for free if no one else does. Chad has a .911 SV% with us vs .884 with STL Tank.
In other words Chad will play better with a team thats in a playoff spot, with Calgary i expect he'd play even better.

Last edited:

QcFlames12

Feb 1, 2012
Horrible for who ?
For the Flames.

McCaron is a bust, Bennett is a far better overall player who impacts games with his physical edge. Kylington may have top 4 potential. We get back nothing of value. Hudon is cool but he is a middle of the pack top 9 undersized sniper.

Not worth it. Bennett is worth that alone.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
You really think a goalie might return 2 first rounders?...

Lol.
So Flames take a risk by downgrading their first for an unproven goalie.... Then they pay you again if that risk works out for them.

Georgiev was recently signed undrafted, and really doesn't look all that great. In what universe is he worth that much? Each organization has multiple goalies of that caliber. The Flames need a goalie who can play for a contending team. How has Georgiev established himself like that?

...Georgiev's stats aren't anything special making this proposal an extreme overpayment from Calgary's side.

Some at the Rangers board, including if memory serves perhaps our most esteemed poster RangerBoy, believe Georgiev will command a 1st when moved, which could be as far off as when Shesty comes here [presumably next season], or earlier if demand matches for young elc cap fit.

This is a cost controlled asset, which you guys overlooked.
This is not run of the mill generic backup, this is a guy who has had ample tutoring under Benoit Allaire, which has a track record as goalie guru. He turned Pavelec from sub-drek into competent/+ backup, a fact also overlooked.

IMO his value close enough approaches a single 1st.
If we have to, we can hang on to him and help build his value further to confirm this.

What you guys also ignored is that I did not demand a 1st with no add on NY side.
I expect your pick is in the latter third of firsts, i.e., 20-31, I have offered a pick likely to be in the top 5 of the second round.
So depending upon exact finish, if true you could be looking at a max of up to 16ish slots Rangers move up, but not inconceivably it could be closer to 10 or 12.
That is not 2 teams trading early or late picks on each side = close to a gap of 30 selections.
This is a third to a half of that, possibly even less.

You are also building with a cost controlled asset.

Given all of that, a 1st is fully reasonable, and NY should get something more IF Georgiev performs at a top level, and there is 2 years delay in compensation to measure this and not have it factored as an assumption, then it is not unreasonable to repeat that level of compensation.
Again, assumes both clubs can be reasonable about the targets Georgiev has to hit.

No prob is you guys feel you prefer alternate use of your 1st, but you are asking for netminder help.
You get what you pay for
You get what you don't pay for

A guy like Howard might be available as a stopgap, but he will cost cap space and I doubt Wings let him go for less than a 1st --- would you if the shoe was on the other foot?

That may get you through the year; you then have to deal with going forward, and a guy like Georgiev who can take on half the load or more, for that little $/cap hit, is worth more than you care to admit.

best,

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I’m looking for a proven goalie, not Georgiev. Doesn’t make sense to have Rittich and him as the tandem, that would be way too concerning.

If you want a more proven goalie that's fine.
You get all the benefits and concerns of a vet, especially if he is retread. There is a reason why a vet becomes available.

If the two guys are both mature and recognize it is in their interests to cooperate w/each other and help deliver best results, I think that combo is a win win.

Again, just floating the idea, not pushing it hard, but given prior post, I do consider it fair value.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
That is patently absurd. I'm no big fan of Varlamov and I would definitely trade him because I see no future for him in Colorado, but to suggest the difference in him and Smith is a conditional 3rd and an AHL goalie is out there. Smith is arguably one of the worst goalies this season, Varlamov while uneven in his performances lately is far better than that.

Sakic sure as hell won't trade a starting goalie for what amounts to jack all.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Darling for future considerations?
Darling may be virtually free to acquire, but you get what you pay/don't pay for.
He needs to get tutelage under an expert like Allaire to recover his game.
Currently Darling is atrocious. Calgary should stay away there.

Chad Johnson could be available if you want both cheap and stopgap aspect emphasized, but there's a reason he's just barely good enough to stay in the league but not not latch on to any one team, and that is more so now than ever.
He is serviceable.
No more/no less.
Do ya wanna settle for that?

Miller is another story.
He was once in discussion for best in the NHL.
He's not that now, but I buy the argument he's got a lot left in the tank.
Think he will be cheap?

---------

Will give it a day, anticipate withdrawal of my offer based on Flames' fans' responses so far, but I do reiterate, for explanations provided, it was fair.

Til then.
peace out.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017

Flames is considered among the teams interested in Varly in the offseason. With better goaltending, could have been the best team overall.

I can see a deal is possible if dumping salary is included.

Varly

For

2019-1st (likely low 20s)
Smith

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Flames is considered among the teams interested in Varly in the offseason. With better goaltending, could have been the best team overall.

I can see a deal is possible if dumping salary is included.

Varly

For

2019-1st (likely low 20s)
Smith

We don't need to dump Smith though, his contract expires after this year. Wouldn't package a 1st just to offload Smith.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad