1984 Oilers Reunion

am_man

Aug 13, 2004
Heartland of Hockey
I'm a 90s kid and that's when I started watching hockey and following the oilers. All I know of the dynasty days is what I've read. I know Pocklington has been a pretty hated figure in edmonton because of the Gretzky trade, so was surprised to hear about the standing ovation he received last night.

I know last night was a time to celebrate so didn't expect him to be booed or anything, but still surprised. Oilers fans have gotten a bad rap lately in the media but only we understand how frustrating it's been the last 8 years. This move was classy. Good job to the fans in attendance last night!

mactforcoach

Nov 18, 2008
Drayton Valley Ab
I didn't go ftr. But I doubt I would have been swayed by the tears of that jackal that had the audacity to call Gretz's tears crocodile tears. Pocklington is an ahole which most of us old enough realize. To see this man crying was worthy of scorn. Sorry, how I feel. He would mock anybody else crying tears in the same situation.

As for the latter I've tried to stop giving a **** about this hockey team. I find I can't really do that at present. Not sure why. I'm sure I'm in the same boat to a lot of posters with that. Those were great times, they're gone.

Your disdain for Pocklington while maybe warranted is clouding your perspective of the event. This is not about some ahole receiving any undeserved praise. It's about the city of Edmonton, and Oiler fans in general being the bigger person and showing the hockey world that no matter what else, they do recognize the man that brought the Oilers here in the beginning. It showed pure class on behalf of the city and the fans.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Your disdain for Pocklington while maybe warranted is clouding your perspective of the event. This is not about some ahole receiving any undeserved praise. It's about the city of Edmonton, and Oiler fans in general being the bigger person and showing the hockey world that no matter what else, they do recognize the man that brought the Oilers here in the beginning. It showed pure class on behalf of the city and the fans.

Which is unrelated to what I stated. Its fine that people cheered. My opinion of whether puck deserves that or scorn is where we differ. But I can see the angle that people don't want to stoop to the level.

Plus Pocklington didn't bring the Oilers here. C'mon, get the history straight at least. It was Bill Hunter, a tireless forgotten promoter much more worthy of praise. He was the founder of the WHA and this Edmonton Oilers team. Without whom none of us would be fans.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

End of Thread.

Glad to see Oiler fans and the city take the high road here and put away the petty resentment and bitterness for an evening.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I'm a 90s kid and that's when I started watching hockey and following the oilers. All I know of the dynasty days is what I've read. I know Pocklington has been a pretty hated figure in edmonton because of the Gretzky trade, so was surprised to hear about the standing ovation he received last night.

I know last night was a time to celebrate so didn't expect him to be booed or anything, but still surprised. Oilers fans have gotten a bad rap lately in the media but only we understand how frustrating it's been the last 8 years. This move was classy. Good job to the fans in attendance last night!

Pocklington wasn't/isn't hated just because of the Gretzky trade. It was his other business deals around Edmonton that cost people jobs and his wanting to sell the team to Houston IIRC. Good on the fans for the standing O.

McDreamy

Losing credibility
Feb 25, 2009
The Oilers put on a hell of show. I really enjoyed the night, as did everyone else I spoke with. I don't know why Replacement needs to pop his head into this thread and piss in everyone's cup when he wasn't even at the event.

Timo

May 23, 2007
Edmonton
I wouldn't have ever believed a standing ovation for Pocklington happened if I wasn't there to witness it first hand.

It started as good strong cheers and when Puck tried to talk, he got choked up. It wasnt till after he choked up that the crowd stood up.

It was kind of a nice little back and forth emotional moment.

mactforcoach

Nov 18, 2008
Drayton Valley Ab
Which is unrelated to what I stated. Its fine that people cheered. My opinion of whether puck deserves that or scorn is where we differ. But I can see the angle that people don't want to stoop to the level.

Plus Pocklington didn't bring the Oilers here. C'mon, get the history straight at least. It was Bill Hunter, a tireless forgotten promoter much more worthy of praise. He was the founder of the WHA and this Edmonton Oilers team. Without whom none of us would be fans.

I stand corrected sir,my apologies, you are right. It was Wild Bill who did in fact bring this city the Oilers. He is worthy of all the praise he received. Most of us connect Pocklington to the beginning as it was under his ownership that the team came together and won 5 cups.

samiam

Oct 4, 2010
I stand corrected sir,my apologies, you are right. It was Wild Bill who did in fact bring this city the Oilers. He is worthy of all the praise he received. Most of us connect Pocklington to the beginning as it was under his ownership that the team came together and won 5 cups.

....But it was Pocklington that was a HUGE part of getting the Oilers to the NHL.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
....But it was Pocklington that was a HUGE part of getting the Oilers to the NHL.

Bill Hunter was instrumental in founding the league (WHA), Team, and in rallying support to build an arena that at the time was better than 80% of NHL rinks. The Oilers were getting into the NHL if ANY WHA team was. Again with or without Pocklington.

Puck gets most credit for playing a high stakes backgammon game with Nelson Skalbania and betting on players as if they were chattel. Some things never changing.

To those looking at the big picture to Pocklington Gretz came and went with Puck treating him like a pawn in a game. When you put those two things together it paints a picture of how little attachment he had.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Bill Hunter was instrumental in founding the league (WHA), Team, and in rallying support to build an arena that at the time was better than 80% of NHL rinks. The Oilers were getting into the NHL if ANY WHA team was. Again with or without Pocklington.

Puck gets most credit for playing a high stakes backgammon game with Nelson Skalbania and betting on players as if they were chattel. Some things never changing.

To those looking at the big picture to Pocklington Gretz came and went with Puck treating him like a pawn in a game. When you put those two things together it paints a picture of how little attachment he had.
Pocklington referred to the greatest player in the game, a guy who helped win him four Stanley Cups, as a depreciating asset in the prime of his career. Lots of love there.:sarcasm:

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
Pouzar is better than every single player on this team currently.
Totally OT... I got to meet Pouzar at his hockey academy in Czech Rep. this year. And then his U12 team promptly laid a licking on the U12 Canuck kids. A good former player and very classy individual.

shazariahl

Apr 7, 2009
I didn't go ftr. But I doubt I would have been swayed by the tears of that jackal that had the audacity to call Gretz's tears crocodile tears. Pocklington is an ahole which most of us old enough realize. To see this man crying was worthy of scorn. Sorry, how I feel. He would mock anybody else crying tears in the same situation.

As for the latter I've tried to stop giving a **** about this hockey team. I find I can't really do that at present. Not sure why. I'm sure I'm in the same boat to a lot of posters with that. Those were great times, they're gone.

I get that you think it was a waste of time and money and thus you didn't go. That's fine. But several people in this thread did. Some people I know IRL went, and thought it was one of the best things they'd seen since we won the cup in 1990 (that is literally my friend's exact words). No one is telling you that you should have gone, or anything else, so I'm not sure why you have to spew so much venom on something that clearly many people enjoyed.

Yes, it was the past. But it was one night, for charity, and a chance for older fans who grew up with that team like me to see many of the heroes we grew up watching and hear them speak about those days. It was a chance for younger fans who never got to see that team get to experience something special. Honestly, the way the Oilers have played these last couple years, I think that this event was probably worth more than a ticket to watch the Oilers play live. I can watch them lose for free on TV, but this was something pretty special.

You think it was stupid? Fine, you've made that clear. You think it was living in the past? It is, but maybe that's ok for a night.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I get that you think it was a waste of time and money and thus you didn't go. That's fine. But several people in this thread did. Some people I know IRL went, and thought it was one of the best things they'd seen since we won the cup in 1990 (that is literally my friend's exact words). No one is telling you that you should have gone, or anything else, so I'm not sure why you have to spew so much venom on something that clearly many people enjoyed.

Yes, it was the past. But it was one night, for charity, and a chance for older fans who grew up with that team like me to see many of the heroes we grew up watching and hear them speak about those days. It was a chance for younger fans who never got to see that team get to experience something special. Honestly, the way the Oilers have played these last couple years, I think that this event was probably worth more than a ticket to watch the Oilers play live. I can watch them lose for free on TV, but this was something pretty special.

You think it was stupid? Fine, you've made that clear. You think it was living in the past? It is, but maybe that's ok for a night.

Not a problem. iIm glad they made it an enjoyable evening for some. If only we didn't have to come back to reality of seeing the present day oilers.

Probably if this team hadn't sucked for a quarter century I might not be cynical about all the adulation and glory. I think that's the bigger point that the org has done nothing but fleece its paying fans ever since.

Its too bad the logo has become tainted.

shazariahl

Apr 7, 2009
Not a problem. iIm glad they made it an enjoyable evening for some. If only we didn't have to come back to reality of seeing the present day oilers.

Probably if this team hadn't sucked for a quarter century I might not be cynical about all the adulation and glory. I think that's the bigger point that the org has done nothing but fleece its paying fans ever since.

Its too bad the logo has become tainted.

Well, it's hard to argue with that. I do agree that one of the biggest problems this team has isn't the players on the ice (though clearly that plays a part) but rather the "old boys club" that are running the show.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Well, it's hard to argue with that. I do agree that one of the biggest problems this team has isn't the players on the ice (though clearly that plays a part) but rather the "old boys club" that are running the show.

The owner is the problem. He is a fan boy and he likes having the 'old boys club' around cause its fun.

The owner likes this toy for that and other reasons like getting to pretend he knows something about hockey Ops by personally offering contracts to players and personally overriding managements decisions on who to draft.

Katz is the issue with this team but guess what...he isnt going anywhere and neither is Lowe.

IMO its better to put your energy towards things that actually have a chance to change. The only possible way to be a fan of this team right now with Katz as owner is to hope for the best. :D

Shootmaster_44

Sep 10, 2005
Saskatoon
I went and had a great time. As a Kings fan, it was a great way to return to my childhood and cheer for the Oilers one more time. Of course, any mention of the current Oilers got a boo from me. (I am a devout Kings fan now and after 26 years of cheering for them I stick with my team.) I know the first Cup was special, but I wonder if they will do this again next year for the '84-'85 Cup team? I know I would go again for that.

Also, since you weren't there Replacement Wayne thanked Wild Bill for bringing the Oilers to Edmonton. But Wild Bill really had no money, I grew up in Saskatoon and know of his many schemes to get teams for Saskatoon. He was a promoter who used other people's money to make himself look good. He was very good at whipping up a buzz, I will give him credit. 17,000 people put down deposits on season tickets for the Saskatchewan Blues in an arena that hadn't been built, but that Wild Bill promised would be built and finished in 6 months. Honestly, had Peter Puck not acquired the Oilers, I doubt they would have lasted through the WHA. Wild Bill would have folded/sold and moved the team before the NHL had ever come sniffing around the WHA.

Also, it was mentioned during the Saskatchewan Blues meetings in 1983, that many of the NHL owners didn't like Wild Bill and that is why a few teams voted against moving the team to Saskatoon. Had the Oilers survived until the end of the 1978-79, they would have been the Birmingham Bulls, who were paid by the 4 surviving members of the WHA to fold. Birmingham likely would have gotten in and Edmonton would currently be home to maybe the NHL, but it would have probably come in the form of the Ottawa Senators expansion team.

You can hate Peter Puck all you want. The fact is 16,000 or so people Friday night gave him a standing ovation and based on the age of many I saw at Rexall, these were people who were adults in 1972 when the WHA started and the Alberta Oilers took the ice. They remember Peter Puck running in the 1983 Progressive Conservative Leadership race and losing to Brian Mulroney (many likely voted in that race even). They remember the fiasco with the Gainers Meat Packing plant. They remember the hostage taking of Mrs. Pocklington. etc. etc. This was not the young Oilers fans who "don't know any better" cheering a man who brought a Stanley Cup to Edmonton that they only read about in books and saw highlights on TV. These people lived it and were there through the whole thing. I only know the history as I read it, I am only 31, so I was nearly 2 when this Oilers team won the Cup.

As I became a Kings fan after the Trade, I hold no ill-will towards Peter Puck (nor towards Bruce McNall who nearly killed off my Kings with his criminal enterprise). My thinking is this: if Wayne Gretzky, who sat there and heard all the awful things Peter Puck said about him and his family to Bruce McNall and in the media, can forgive him then Oilers fans should be able to as well. I am not just talking about Friday night where Wayne can put on a smile and pretend to be happy and chummy with Peter, but Wayne also wrote the forward to Peter's book entitled I'd Trade Him Again.

So I guess unless Peter did something personal to you or your family Replacement, I think you are being overly critical for no reason. Those who had a personal relationship with Peter Pocklington and were insulted and whatnot by him can forgive the guy, so should those who have no personal stake in this. Yes, I read his comments in the Sun on Wednesday about the unwashed and like everything Sun Media took that quote out of context. You realize he wasn't painting all fans that way, he was saying I don't care about what some idiots might think of me. It is a healthy attitude to have actually, as I don't care what some idiots think of me either.

In my opinion, Peter Pocklington is not Frankenstein, who deserves the villagers chasing him with torches and pitchforks anymore. The things that happened 26 or 36 years ago are history. I understand how Oilers fans may have felt about him on August 9, 1988. But how does that translate to today? Even if Wayne had played his entire career in Edmonton, he would have been retired for 15 years now. There would be nothing linking his playing days to the current Oilers team. The struggles and poor results of the last few years have nothing to do with what happened in 1988. You want to hate someone? Hate Darryl Katz and the management of the Oilers over the last decade, they are the ones responsible. But remember this, as a fan of a team who has won two Cups in three years after several awful years of play, I can tell you that all it can take is a couple smart moves and your team can turn around.

Objectively, this current Oilers team looks like the Kings of about '06-'07. They have some young talent ready to gel, but are missing a few key pieces. Providing the Oilers go out and get those pieces, they too could be in the upper echelon of the NHL. So give up on hating Peter Puck and look forward, things can only go up for this franchise and likely will with the right components.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
That's pretty classy, takes a lot of balls for him to show up tonight and I'm glad he didnt have 17000 people boo him off stage

A lot of balls? my god.

What were you expecting everyone in attendance to have sniper rifles pointed at him? Some people have some class after all these years.

Believe me, I was there that night and I was expecting some *** behind me to start booing but no one did.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
Man I'm glad people managed to enjoy something in connection with the Oilers but Pocklington and humble, with humility? lmao.

Yeah I saw it. Kindness and goodwill to man came from the crowd. Ironic who it was addressed to.

As for the night watched lots of it on Oilers site. A lot of non storys and "I can't tell that one" and "that's a long story" and "oh well ah, that's not getting talked about".

It was like a series of non stories. Really you learn more reading a few books on the Oilers than anything that came from this. Kind of surprised actually how tight lipped the footage is. Can't think of a single thing that was even new.

Replacement, did you ever think that they didn't want to tell some stories because their kids might be in attendance and didnt want to tell some stories that their kids would hear or the words that might have been repeated were not appropriate for their kids to hear or others kids in the audience?

Probably not. But we get to read your posts of whine after whine after whine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad