1984 Oilers Reunion

Shootmaster_44

Sep 10, 2005
Saskatoon
I don't see a thread about this on here, if there is please merge. I have my ticket for the event which should be a special night. Growing up Wayne Gretzky was my hero and I was an Oilers fan until he was traded. So for one night only, I am going back to my roots and cheering on the Oilers greats.

Anyway, my question is does anyone know about any autograph sessions going on in relation to it? I would love to get some autographs from some of the players (especially those who played for the Kings later on). I hadn't heard that any would be done at the actual event, but I do wonder if there might be some at WEM or a car dealership or something before the event.

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
Someone try tweeting the Oilers official account. They usually answer whenever they can...

NHLFAN82

Jul 15, 2014
I know Gretzky mentioned signing autographs in his video when they announced the reunion.

What is all the hype if all they do is just sit on a stage telling stories for a couple of hours?

EchoesoftheEighties

HF Oil's Unofficial Shitposter
Jan 30, 2006
Edmonton
To each his own, but I'd think for a lot of fans hearing stories from the '84 Oilers would be well worth the price of admission... I know I'd love to be there.

:dunno: My friend is going to be in row 3 or something. He'll tell me any stories I might like. For 200+ a ticket I'd rather get prime seats to an actual game.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I know Gretzky mentioned signing autographs in his video when they announced the reunion.

What is all the hype if all they do is just sit on a stage telling stories for a couple of hours?

No they're going in as super heros playing a comic hockey team of villains from Planet Mars. With Bugs Bunny getting a prime spot with Anderson and Messier and Daffy Duck up with Gretz and Kurri. Foghorn Leghorn gets demoted to playing on a pairing with Steve Smith. Huddy gets the high energy Tasmanian Devil. Lowe gets to play with Tambo just because.

Look for madcap hilarity and never a dull moment.

What did people think this was going to be?

A little lol at the ADHD going on as well..I guess if the stories aren't interesting to you the people that are the players behind the stories are boring. Kind of odd anybody would feel that way and be an Oiler fan.

Alex87

May 26, 2008
Edmonton
:dunno: My friend is going to be in row 3 or something. He'll tell me any stories I might like. For 200+ a ticket I'd rather get prime seats to an actual game.

I can understand wanting to spend limited entertainment dollars on something else, but in my opinion there's no substitute for hearing those stories directly from the mouths of Gretzky et al.

I have been to quite a few games in my life, but seeing the '84 reunion is probably once in a lifetime (or at least once a decade, if they decide to do a 40th anniversary in 10 years). But again, to each his own.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I can understand wanting to spend limited entertainment dollars on something else, but in my opinion there's no substitute for hearing those stories directly from the mouths of Gretzky et al.

I have been to quite a few games in my life, but seeing the '84 reunion is probably once in a lifetime (or at least once a decade, if they decide to do a 40th anniversary in 10 years). But again, to each his own.

Spoken word though is spoken word. We don't have to be there for JFK or MLK giving a speech. Just reading it, hearing it, is enough.

As much as I'm interested I wouldn't pay asking ticket prices for this and would get just as much out of the audio, video, or book transcript of it.

Just feel that the bolded is a bit off.

If people want to pay to see the emotions on the stage, any crying, drama, pats on back etc and get that from the event thts something different. The event should emote quite a lot. But that's a different thing than the spoken word meaning which is easily obtained through other means.

NHLFAN82

Jul 15, 2014
For anybody still looking for tickets - they are releasing tickets tomorrow at 10:00 AM.

Alex87

May 26, 2008
Edmonton
Spoken word though is spoken word. We don't have to be there for JFK or MLK giving a speech. Just reading it, hearing it, is enough.

As much as I'm interested I wouldn't pay asking ticket prices for this and would get just as much out of the audio, video, or book transcript of it.

Just feel that the bolded is a bit off.

If people want to pay to see the emotions on the stage, any crying, drama, pats on back etc and get that from the event thts something different. The event should emote quite a lot. But that's a different thing than the spoken word meaning which is easily obtained through other means.

Fair point, but like I said, to each his own. For me, I'm a huge fan of the history of the game, but I'm too young to even remember the 80s Oilers. I'd be willing to pay the asking prices because it would/could give me a connection with the history of my favourite team.

I certainly understand that people (including myself) have limited dollars to spend on entertainment. I was more taken aback by the poster's seemingly dismissive view of the whole event. I mean, it's not like it's a Q&A with Patrick LaForge or something. It's the '84 Oilers and they're all (or at least some of them) in the same room at the same time. That's pretty cool - maybe not $200 a pop cool, but cool nonetheless. Just my opinion, though.

Shootmaster_44

Sep 10, 2005
Saskatoon
Is this going to be a concert setup? The seating chart shows no seats on the floor, I hope they have the ice open and for one last time get to see Mess, Gretz and Jari etc. skate around and maybe play a little on the Northlands (it was Northlands Coliseum in 1984) ice. Its too bad Steve Smith ruined the chances of a Cup in 1986, something like this would have been a perfect way to close down Rexall.

I really have no idea what to expect from this event. When I heard Wayne Gretzky was going to be there, that was all I needed to ensure I was going. I never had a chance to see him play in person nor coach in person and the closest I ever came to seeing him was the few brief seconds at the 2002 NHL Draft in Toronto when he announced the picks for the Coyotes. There was no way I was going to miss this, even if I am sitting behind the opposite goal from where the stage is.

For $99 and the fact all proceeds are going to the Stollery, this is worth it for me. It isn't everyday you get a chance to see your idol in person. Even if that is 190' away from where I am sitting. I think it is even time I get a few pictures with his statue, even though I have been to Rexall many times.

Out of curiosity (and being that this is an Oilers board I have a feeling I know the answer), is it in bad taste if they do an autograph signing to get the guys who played for LA to sign a Kings practice jersey I have? I am collecting Kings/former Kings autographs on it and would love to add Fuhr, Coffey, Gretzky and whomever else spent time with the Kings to it. My Dad gave this to me many years ago and the only non-King on it was Scott Hartnell, who my Dad (a Habs fan) thought played for the Kings.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
If it wasn't for charity I may not have bought tickets, but it is a pretty cool idea.

I'll be happy as long as Laforge isn't blabbing at the event.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
So apparently Katz sent an offer to Peter Pocklington to be a part of the festivities, and he accepted.

705.jpg

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
So apparently Katz sent an offer to Peter Pocklington to be a part of the festivities, and he accepted.

705.jpg

I dont have any problems with pocklington, other than the fact he should have just stuck to owning the team and sold his other businesses. He basically had too much ego to let go of his poor businesses and hang on to just the one that he really loved.
In all fairness too..,his ownership era went from eagleson and ziegler, to goodenow and bettman. Thats going from full power to even your own commish spanking you. Ziegler was a perfect absentee president letting the owners do whatever they wanted...and of course we know eaglesons issues. Then you go to ray bourque talking about his salary to the oilers during the canada cup of 87 and in a month you have messier, anderson, coffey, moog, and krusher and mcsor holding out of camp. The beginning of the finance issues.

I dont really think many players hate pocklington. He is like a boss that rubbed you the wrong way quite a few times but you dont really hate the guy. Poop on his car? Yes. Punch his face? He wasnt that bad.

He deserves to be there and from what i have heard from players, he did love the team alot and he might not have been a big believer in gretzky but gretzky has never minded the lack of peter pucks vote of confidence. Coffey might actually be the one to hate pocklington the most. When coffey held out in 87 it was pocklingtons closed door talk to him that infuriated coffey so much that he immediately told reporters he had played his last game as an oiler.
DESPITE coffey wws my favorite oiler of that time and only doug weight ties him for favorite oiler of all time...i cant hate pocklington. I look at pocklington with a sense of pity. The guy has to carry around the knowledge that he broke up what could have been the most dominant professional sports team of all time...all so he could keep trash companies afloat just a little longer.

I remember sather saying something about when the atb took the team from pocklington and sather used his guest card or something to let puck watch his last game as an oilers owner. Something like that and sather talked about how he doesnt get emotional but it was emotional to watch pocklington from afar as puck watched the oilers playoff game. I think sather would have seen all the ups and downs and theatrics over the years...i remember his quotes of watching pocklington that last game being very surprising. Pocklington always acted like the oilers were just a business and no emotion and etc...but away from cameras it was his baby and pride.

I think that is a classy move by Katz and i hope nobody becomes a complete idiot and makes a rude gesture to the guy or anything. Puck is as much a pert of when it was all going right as he was a part of the team when it was all going wrong.

For the record i know he always like anderssons humor and style. Anderson was kind of a puppy though and i think it was easy for puck to like him because anderson wouldnt fight, unlike guys like mess and gretz and others with their agents etc and stardom anderson was kind of always the guy that didnt want to be nor ever think of himself as a star.

One of my favorite memories is anderson swinging his arms around as he looked up to the crowd with his usual massive smile even more massive...going nuts in the finals seconds before the cup. And the other guys were lined up for the draw and he wasnt paying any attention lol. 87? After his cup clincher i think.

Last edited:

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
While I'm not really upset at pocklington for anything other than the fact that he does illegal ****, it seems like a dick move of Katz to bring him to an event like this where a huge chunk of the fan base hate him with a passion. But Katz basically doesn't give a crap what the fans think anyways. Probably thinks Pocklingn got a bad rap.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
One of my favorite memories is anderson swinging his arms around as he looked up to the crowd with his usual massive smile even more massive...going nuts in the finals seconds before the cup. And the other guys were lined up for the draw and he wasnt paying any attention lol. 87? After his cup clincher i think.
Yup. They just don't make em like that anymore.
For my money Anderson, on his best nights, was the most exciting player I've ever seen. Only jersey I ever bought.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Classy move inviting Pocklington. Yes he's not popular around here (and for good reason), but without him that night in 1984 never would've happened. If it's a night to celebrate the 84 Cup, he deserves to be there.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
He was an elitist with a big ego...looking down his nose at the regular joe and even the exceptional joe.
He got knocked down a peg
I dont mind him coming back now. I think loss and humility are about the only influences that can bring personality change. He has had both. Maybe...and he should try...he can fix a bit of his tarnished history. When you are closer to the end of your road than the start, you really need to think about the legacy you want attached to your name. There is still time for him to do some good and i have no doubt that he has powerful connections still. He perjured himself in fed court and got house arrest. Nough said.

I think all of his problems and all of his pains came from ego and looking down at the worker. The ego to hold bad businesses, the ego to win labor wars, the ego to stubbornly break workers and defraud systems. But when he was and oiler owner i heard he was exceptional...when his ego wasnt acting needy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad