1984 Oilers Reunion

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Its funny that last year at this time Eakins is ripping pictures of wall and fumigating the dressing room for any signs of the glory years Oilers. Eakins and MacT stating such things as its the kids time now, stop living on past glories, and start making a new team, identity and new memories. Front and center is that team needs its own identity.

FF one year and its an about face with the glory year oilers here all week, visiting the team, going to dressingroom, going to game, being on ice at game etc. while the current Oilers squirm nervously once again. Whats a player even to think about this change from one year to the next? That anything this org says and does is ********?

This org is so inconsistent its laughable. Diametrically different philosophy from one season to the next.

Are glory years pictures going back up on the walls now?

tbh I wouldn't have paid 20bucks to go to this thing tonight. Are we going to be milking this teams past forever? 3 decades ago? Whats the significance of that?

Strikes me as more distraction from the misery of the current team. Like sitting around a campfire telling the same stories we've all heard 20 times.

heres an idea. Put a team on the ice worth watching one of these decades and we can all move.

Most people living in Edmonton weren't even around the first time the Oilers won the cup.

Oh well, lets throw on Jethro Tull's Living in the Past Album. Seems fitting. it skips and repeats a lot as well..

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
More people are interested in the reunion than will ever care about this squad. THOSE people have nothing to come on here and whine about.
Most of those people would simply stop watching if they dont like the product. Smart people.

EchoesoftheEighties

HF Oil's Unofficial Shitposter
Jan 30, 2006
Edmonton
Most people living in Edmonton weren't even around the first time the Oilers won the cup.

This is precisely why many Oilers fans my age wanted to go. I grew up with the hard working 90s Oilers who made it to the playoffs on heart alone. I never got to experience the glory of the 80s like my older brothers did. 06 is honestly one of the few glorious moments I have of the team.

At the same time, the org is too attached to its past. The 1990 cup was 25 seasons ago. It's time to move on and give a new generation of Oilers fans something worth remembering. And hopefully it's not a LOSS in the cup final. Plus the details of this thing we'
re extremely hush hush so to me it seemed like a waste of time. I'm not paying hundreds of dollars for some storytelling.

Last edited:

Marc08

Mar 17, 2006
He threw his phone over with the jersey?

He threw his jacket or sweater on the ice and the funny part on this one is he didn't empty his pockets.

If you didn't empty it, that's what happens.

I bet the security will look at his phone and track him down. Then banned him from entering Rexall Place.

Butane Fan

Jan 29, 2013
Cowtown
I wanted to be there but it sold out. The tickets at 10 this morning well sicker than a dog in Calgary. The rumours and stuff that flew about the team back then I don't think they would survived the Internet era. This does matter I tell my kids about the hey days of Oilers. Last year I got some stuff signed Theo Fleury for his charity he asked me if I wanted the picture of him doing his slide err nope but do have him at the Olympics. Both orgs have seen hard times but those glory days were a thing to behold back when Battle of Alberta did not just happen on the ice.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
He threw his jacket or sweater on the ice and the funny part on this one is he didn't empty his pockets.

If you didn't empty it, that's what happens.

I bet the security will look at his phone and track him down. Then banned him from entering Rexall Place.

Perron gave the phone to one of the employers, and said if the guy wants his phone back, he better man up and come down to Rexall to retrieve it. :)

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Its funny that last year at this time Eakins is ripping pictures of wall and fumigating the dressing room for any signs of the glory years Oilers. Eakins and MacT stating such things as its the kids time now, stop living on past glories, and start making a new team, identity and new memories. Front and center is that team needs its own identity.

FF one year and its an about face with the glory year oilers here all week, visiting the team, going to dressingroom, going to game, being on ice at game etc. while the current Oilers squirm nervously once again. Whats a player even to think about this change from one year to the next? That anything this org says and does is ********?

This org is so inconsistent its laughable. Diametrically different philosophy from one season to the next.

tbh I wouldn't have paid 20bucks to go to this thing tonight. Are we going to be milking this teams past forever? 3 decades ago? Whats the significance of that?

Strikes me as more distraction from the misery of the current team. Like sitting around a campfire telling the same stories we've all heard 20 times.

heres an idea. Put a team on the ice worth watching one of these decades and we can all move.

Oh well, lets throw on Jethro Tull's Living in the Past Album. Seems fitting. it skips and repeats a lot as well..

Congrats you've managed to out grump me.

Pressure

Real Talk
Aug 11, 2005
Edmonton
What an unbelievable night. It was everything I thought it was going to be but just so special. I wish every real Oiler fan could have experienced it. Wayne out there improvising and making up on the fly. Got everyone's family to come on stage for an amazing photo op and listen to Sara McLachlan up close. Pocklington's ovation was special. I got up and clapped loud, we had some amazing seats and you could see how humble he was. His humility was very evident in that moment and he thanked everyone with tears. What a great night.

Words can't express how happy and proud I am to be an Oiler fan. I wish all the current Oilers were able to attend or watch it, they could have learned quite a bit.

Pressure

Real Talk
Aug 11, 2005
Edmonton
Just got home from the Oilers Reunion Party. Classy all the way as only the Oilers can do.

Such a classy crowd. Very different than the ones that attend games. All those players touching on how special it was we acknowledged Pocks. They knew it was going to be controversial, we proved to the hockey world we still have some class here. All those players touching on how we need to treat our kids, and we should never give up on the team made me think twice about how I've been a fan. They're all right about it though, we have been poor fans, we need to rally when they're down instead of stomping on them.

mactforcoach

Nov 18, 2008
Drayton Valley Ab
What an unbelievable night. It was everything I thought it was going to be but just so special. I wish every real Oiler fan could have experienced it. Wayne out there improvising and making up on the fly. Got everyone's family to come on stage for an amazing photo op and listen to Sara McLachlan up close. Pocklington's ovation was special. I got up and clapped loud, we had some amazing seats and you could see how humble he was. His humility was very evident in that moment and he thanked everyone with tears. What a great night.

Words can't express how happy and proud I am to be an Oiler fan. I wish all the current Oilers were able to attend or watch it, they could have learned quite a bit.

Agreed. It was great to be part of such a special night. Wayne is such a natural at this stuff. It was very touching to see the standing ovation for Pocklington, by not only the fans but also all the players. It sends a great message that Edmonton does indeed have some class and is willing to let things pass.
All this plus a huge amount of money was raised for charity. Was also moved by Pouzers (sic) speech. He was very grateful to be invited back for this. Nice to see Gretz give him a hug after he left the stage.

People can say what they want about missing playoffs, throwing jerseys, etc but tonight put everything back into place for me. Well done Oilers, Well done.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Such a classy crowd. Very different than the ones that attend games. All those players touching on how special it was we acknowledged Pocks. They knew it was going to be controversial, we proved to the hockey world we still have some class here. All those players touching on how we need to treat our kids, and we should never give up on the team made me think twice about how I've been a fan. They're all right about it though, we have been poor fans, we need to rally when they're down instead of stomping on them.

I'm glad you enjoyed yourself, and no offense meant here.... But that is complete and utter garbage. Oiler fans have sold out that building night in and night out during arguably the worst stretch of hockey in NHL history. There are maybe two other teams that would be able to do that.

There is nothing more insulting than someone insinuating that loyal Oiler fans are somehow responsible for the disaster this team has been and continues to be. I have no respect for the opinion that Oiler fans are somehow responsible in any way for what has transpired over the years here.

Pressure

Real Talk
Aug 11, 2005
Edmonton
Agreed. It was great to be part of such a special night. Wayne is such a natural at this stuff. It was very touching to see the standing ovation for Pocklington, by not only the fans but also all the players. It sends a great message that Edmonton does indeed have some class and is willing to let things pass.
All this plus a huge amount of money was raised for charity. Was also moved by Pouzers (sic) speech. He was very grateful to be invited back for this. Nice to see Gretz give him a hug after he left the stage.

People can say what they want about missing playoffs, throwing jerseys, etc but tonight put everything back into place for me. Well done Oilers, Well done.

Absolutely. Put me back in my place, gained my perspective again.
Those Europeans didn't mince any words. They basically told the fans to shut up and support the team in their not so subtle ways. I agree. I can't believe I've been so bad lately. I grew up watching the Oilers on my dads lap through the glory years. I remember many more plays on TV than I do in real life. When Summanen told us we should never give up, and what he saw the other night with the hoody thrown on the ice really hit home. Poulzar was a leader in the dressing room apparently, the guy is all class. I liked his speech he said he gave it his all every night. What a stand up guy. That 1984 is something special though, they genuinely love each other.

Pressure

Real Talk
Aug 11, 2005
Edmonton
I'm glad you enjoyed yourself, and no offense meant here.... But that is complete and utter garbage. Oiler fans have sold out that building night in and night out during arguably the worst stretch of hockey in NHL history. There are maybe two other teams that would be able to do that.

There is nothing more insulting than someone insinuating that loyal Oiler fans are somehow responsible for the disaster this team has been and continues to be. I have no respect for the opinion that Oiler fans are somehow responsible in any way for what has transpired over the years here.

I'm not saying we are responsible, but we have our part to play. It's been so negative the past 8 years, it's clearly not working.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I'm not saying we are responsible, but we have our part to play. It's been so negative the past 8 years, it's clearly not working.

It's not working because the same morons that sank this team in the first place are the same morons that are still calling the shots. That's the only reason. That has nothing to do with the fans.

So no. Fans don't have our part to play. The amount of support the team garners is incredible when you consider how bad they have been for this long.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Man I'm glad people managed to enjoy something in connection with the Oilers but Pocklington and humble, with humility? lmao.

Yeah I saw it. Kindness and goodwill to man came from the crowd. Ironic who it was addressed to.

As for the night watched lots of it on Oilers site. A lot of non storys and "I can't tell that one" and "that's a long story" and "oh well ah, that's not getting talked about".

It was like a series of non stories. Really you learn more reading a few books on the Oilers than anything that came from this. Kind of surprised actually how tight lipped the footage is. Can't think of a single thing that was even new.

FiveFourteenSixOne

5-14-6-1
Sponsor
Jan 28, 2006
Edmonton
Man I'm glad people managed to enjoy something in connection with the Oilers but Pocklington and humble, with humility? lmao.

Yeah I saw it. Kindness and goodwill to man came from the crowd. Ironic who it was addressed to.

As for the night watched lots of it on Oilers site. A lot of non storys and "I can't tell that one" and "that's a long story" and "oh well ah, that's not getting talked about".

It was like a series of non stories. Really you learn more reading a few books on the Oilers than anything that came from this. Kind of surprised actually how tight lipped the footage is. Can't think of a single thing that was even new.

Replacement, I'm sorry but this has to be said -- you are the most cynical son of a ***** I've ever seen. I often share your viewpoints, and can appreciate the fact that you don't mince words, but if an event as genuinely uplifting as this can't allow you a moment of happy, nostalgic reflection than maybe its time for you to redirect your disdain, and stop watching and talking about this hockey team.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton

Who are you kidding, I'm pretty sure if the current Oilers won the stanley cup this year you would ***** about the parade route.

mactforcoach

Nov 18, 2008
Drayton Valley Ab

You poor tortured soul. Be happy that you didn't drop the $200 to attend. But rather stayed home watching clips on the internet while forming an opinion on the atmosphere of the event. Were you expecting them to come out with a bunch of never before told stories just to satisfy you?
This was a celebration of something special that happened 30 years ago. It was a wonderful evening for a great cause. I'm sure everyone left there feeling a little bit prouder to be an Oilers fan.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Who are you kidding, I'm pretty sure if the current Oilers won the stanley cup this year you would ***** about the parade route.

No I was at the parade route and I was at some of those SC winning games. This didn't recreate any of those feelings. Everybody has a different definition and take on the past in anycase. The day I start living in the past and only for nostalgia is the day I die.

Again everybodies different. I can see younger people being transfixed with this and great for them. Thanks on their behalf for Gretzky putting this together.

I do suggest however that people pick up one of the great books on the Oilers that go into so much more detail and that really do tell the stories. I feel that stories were mostly missing from this dialog.

Last edited:

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
I have to agree. I went last night and was a bit skeptical of what would happen. It was a great night and it was nice to remember how great that was. What was also great was to hear that a good team cares about each other and it isn't about self. There was a lot of stuff said that the current Oilers should have to watch every day until they get it or get out. There was lots of great insight on what it takes to win in this league and be a true team. Very timely IMO.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Replacement, I'm sorry but this has to be said -- you are the most cynical son of a ***** I've ever seen. I often share your viewpoints, and can appreciate the fact that you don't mince words, but if an event as genuinely uplifting as this can't allow you a moment of happy, nostalgic reflection than maybe its time for you to redirect your disdain, and stop watching and talking about this hockey team.

I didn't go ftr. But I doubt I would have been swayed by the tears of that jackal that had the audacity to call Gretz's tears crocodile tears. Pocklington is an ahole which most of us old enough realize. To see this man crying was worthy of scorn. Sorry, how I feel. He would mock anybody else crying tears in the same situation.

As for the latter I've tried to stop giving a **** about this hockey team. I find I can't really do that at present. Not sure why. I'm sure I'm in the same boat to a lot of posters with that. Those were great times, they're gone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad