Prospect Info: 190th - Brett Stapley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
That selection reminded me of Mike Cichy quite a bit, which didn't turn out too good for us sadly. Hopefully Stapley will have a decent freshman season in Denver and won't have to switch programs after a year. I'm not opposed to trying something weird in the 7th round mind you, I'm all for it at the right moments.

Last edited:

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
Pretty amazing hands and skating, it's great that he'll have plenty of time to develop physically and put it all together

Stive Morgan

Mhm. Mhm. Mhm.
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
So I was talking to my friend who knows more about the BCHL than I do and he thinks Montreal got the best player in the 7th round (personally I think the Caps did with Florchuk). He said if Stapley can put it all together and capitalize on his chances, he could be an impact player in the NHL. Those hands certainly are impressive. Personally I can't wait to see how he does at Denver.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
So I was talking to my friend who knows more about the BCHL than I do and he thinks Montreal got the best player in the 7th round (personally I think the Caps did with Florchuk). He said if Stapley can put it all together and capitalize on his chances, he could be an impact player in the NHL. Those hands certainly are impressive. Personally I can't wait to see how he does at Denver.

I'll get to see a lot of him at Denver, they have a young team and a very young coach so it will be interesting to see how it all goes. They did just bring in Koberstein's former coach as an assistant so it gives them a lot of experience to help with the rookie head coach.

Stive Morgan

Mhm. Mhm. Mhm.
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
I'll get to see a lot of him at Denver, they have a young team and a very young coach so it will be interesting to see how it all goes. They did just bring in Koberstein's former coach as an assistant so it gives them a lot of experience to help with the rookie head coach.

They have some very nice young pieces in Demin, Mitchell, Pettersen, Teräväinen, and Larsson. Can't wait to see how that goes.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
They have some very nice young pieces in Demin, Mitchell, Pettersen, Teräväinen, and Larsson. Can't wait to see how that goes.

well there's a reason they are a top program but when you lose the best player in the NCAA in Borgstrom, that's stings. Plus they are in a very tough conference, maybe the toughest (though it varies year to year) but with SCSU likely being very good, North Dakota is usually very tough, Western Michigan is a well coached team that are tough to beat. But it's not bad if they struggle a bit so Stapley can get more ice as long as he does well.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
That selection reminded me of Mike Cichy quite a bit, which didn't turn out too good for us sadly. Hopefully Stapley will have a decent freshman season in Denver and won't have to switch programs after a year. I'm not opposed to trying something weird in the 7th round mind you, I'm all for it at the right moments.

I would have gone for a goalie at this point. He hasn't progressed offensively like he should have in a average league. Will see what he is all about...but not expecting anything. At this point, might as well go with a goalie.

Stive Morgan

Mhm. Mhm. Mhm.
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
Yeah. Good choice. And while I know he's small, in a 7th round, I would hope for some growing....would have been patient....and pick Amir Miftakhov.

Or d-man like Galenyuk or Yeromenko.

I was really iffy on Paddock this whole season but he was absolutely money at the Memorial Cup this year

I would have went with Topping, not sure how the heck he didn't get picked although I only saw him once. Then again I didn't get how Bajkov didn't get picked either.

He scored 3 points both times I saw him live. Still can't wrap my head around why he got passed over. He's everything you'd want in a player.

Reactions: montreal

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
Love the pick, he didn't progress (even though he scored 11 more goals) but maybe the Habs have inside info on why he didn't progress. Also the guy plays like a superstar.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stive Morgan

Stive Morgan

Mhm. Mhm. Mhm.
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
Love the pick, he didn't progress (even though he scored 11 more goals) but maybe the Habs have inside info on why he didn't progress. Also the guy plays like a superstar.

It was the same thing with Bajkov. Only scored 1 more point in his draft year than his D-1, but people didn't realize that Everett lost some key offensive people and their coaching staff made them play a very defensive system that year, so while statistically he didn't improve, as a player he grew overall. Juulsen went from 52 to 28 points for example, but was named a defensive all-star that season. Obviously I'm not super well-versed in the Vernon Vipers, but I think there's more than meets the eye with Stapley. Excited to see how he does at Denver.

Reactions: montreal

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Skating and great hands? Might not have been the player some were hoping for us to take, but he is the type of player to take.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Denver just lost their captain to the Avs, they are bringing in undrafted FA from the BCHL, Brendan Budy so a really young team just got younger. They have lost 4 of their top 7 scorers plus both goalies. Couple that with a new coach who has never been a head coach before, it could be an interesting year for Denver.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Denver just lost their captain to the Avs, they are bringing in undrafted FA from the BCHL, Brendan Budy so a really young team just got younger. They have lost 4 of their top 7 scorers plus both goalies. Couple that with a new coach who has never been a head coach before, it could be an interesting year for Denver.

No idea how Budy didn't get drafted. If he shows what I thought maybe we will get a look at him and sign him when he graduates.

Stive Morgan

Mhm. Mhm. Mhm.
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
No idea how Budy didn't get drafted. If he shows what I thought maybe we will get a look at him and sign him when he graduates.

Could very well turn into a Juulsen situation. (We drafted him after seeing him so much while scouting Scherbak in Everett, same thing happened with Wyatte Wylie and Carter Hart in Philadelphia, and Riley Sutter and Garrett Pilon in Washington) Teams seem to stick to the same junior/NCAA teams with their prospects.

Last edited:
Reactions: WeThreeKings

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Stapley just missed joining Harris and Gorniak in the getting a point in their 1st ever NCAA game, he was on the PP and faked a shot but had a real nice cross ice pass but his teammate couldn't put it home.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I already completely forgot he's a prospect of ours. :laugh:

When this thread was bumped, I was: who the hell....:huh:

Ooops. Oh yeah, the 7th round pick from 2018.

Hope the kid turns into another Evans.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Denver's a top program but they lost a lot of firepower so he should be in a good spot to play. So far he's been at center all night and has a lot of PP time. Looks more of a playmaker, good skating, speed. He did fall down twice for no reason, might want to get his blades checked.

Reactions: savard95
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad