Prospect Info: 190th - Brett Stapley

Status
Not open for further replies.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
anybody has been watching him play other than just stats checking? he's only at his first year in the NCAA, he was 7th round pick overager so he's already 19 ( 1 month younger than poehling who was drafted in 2017) he's quitely putting some solid numbers... already a PPG 3 goals, 4 assists in 7 games with a +5... for example Jake evans put up 17pts in 41 games in his rookie season ( he was younger than stapley tho) it's very impressive none the less.

anyway i was just looking for some insight from his overall game and hows he's looked!

ps: RH Center... even if he ends up a decent RW NHLer thats a massive win. We are so low on RH prospects.

Reactions: Acadien86

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
anybody has been watching him play other than just stats checking? he's only at his first year in the NCAA, he was 7th round pick overager so he's already 19 ( 1 month younger than poehling who was drafted in 2017) he's quitely putting some solid numbers... already a PPG 3 goals, 4 assists in 7 games with a +5... for example Jake evans put up 17pts in 41 games in his rookie season ( he was younger than stapley tho) it's very impressive none the less.

anyway i was just looking for some insight from his overall game and hows he's looked!

ps: RH Center... even if he ends up a decent RW NHLer thats a massive win. We are so low on RH prospects.

I haven't seen any games but the highlights show him to be pretty damn shifty. Would be great if he was skilled and/or fast enough to be something exciting. Great start.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

he plays a lot on the PP, top 6 center, no PK needs to get stronger, fill out his frame more and work on his defensive game. He's more of a playmaker but has some slick hands. He'll likely spend a few years in the NCAA, if comparing him to Evans, I would use Evan's 2nd season where he put up 33 pts in 37 games at 19 that's also when he started to breakout.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
he plays a lot on the PP, top 6 center, no PK needs to get stronger, fill out his frame more and work on his defensive game. He's more of a playmaker but has some slick hands. He'll likely spend a few years in the NCAA, if comparing him to Evans, I would use Evan's 2nd season where he put up 33 pts in 37 games at 19 that's also when he started to breakout.
i agree with you with having to compare evans second season like i also stated stapley started as a 19 year old and evans 18, but at the same time i'd give a little more credit to stapley (stat wise) because like i said i haven't watched him! stapley still had to adapt to a higher pace, while Evans even if he was 18 he still had an idea and better ajustement in his second season!

thanks for the comment tho! how fast is he?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
i agree with you with having to compare evans second season like i also stated stapley started as a 19 year old and evans 18, but at the same time i'd give a little more credit to stapley (stat wise) because like i said i haven't watched him! stapley still had to adapt to a higher pace, while Evans even if he was 18 he still had an idea and better ajustement in his second season!

thanks for the comment tho! how fast is he?

I follow our NCAA prospects very closely every year. Evans like Harris just turned 18 around the time of the draft, so they went to the NCAA having just turned 18 a few months in whereas Stapley turns 20 in Feb so he's been able to mature a bit more physically which is important for the NCAA since they are facing kids as old as 23-24 and the average is usually over 21. So while Evans had a full year under him, he is 18.4 when his season starts to Stapley being 19.8 so that means Evans turned 20 four months before his Junior year whereas Stapley turns 20 in 3 months. If Stapley stays all 4 years as Evans did he'll be 24 by the time he signs a pro contract whereas Evans finished his NCAA career at 21.

Stapley has good speed.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Trying not to get too excited since he was drafted as an overager but that being sad he's still exceeded my expectations so far

It's hard not to get excited because he's already exceeding expectations. But we know things can turn around just as easily.

I'm impressed that Habs have a knack in finding good players in the 7th round.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
any body knows if hes injured or something? he hasn't played in the last couple of games... can't seem to find any info on it!

Stive Morgan

Mhm. Mhm. Mhm.
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
His production seemed to slow at the end of the season. Injuries or what?

Also just realized I played with his brother Mitch many years ago. Never made the connection until now.

Reactions: McTusk

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
His production seemed to slow at the end of the season. Injuries or what?

Also just realized I played with his brother Mitch many years ago. Never made the connection until now.

yes he had some injuries, missed a month but when they brought him back they limited his ice time from what I understand. I was paying a monthly fee to get all the NCHC home games but I canceled it about half way through the season so I missed the last few games of the regular season.

He's on the skinny side for sure so playing center in the toughest conference likely wore him down some as well. I never heard what his injuries were. But also he was never going to keep up that pace imo, in his first 2 months of the season he was at a ppg, after that he had points in just 4 of 17 games. Now how much of that was due to injury, rust, limited TOI (as he went from the 2nd line to 4th when he came back from injury), I can't say.

canadiensnation

Jun 11, 2011
GTA
My scouting report on Stapley from this past season.

Brett Stapley is a tricky player that can be really shifty when handling the puck in the offensive zone. His puck handling skills are above average and has flashed some high-end skill. He has the ability to slow the pace, draw defenders and then quickly shift gears to get by the defenceman. His playmaking skills are very good, a solid passer who finds players in opportune positions. Stapley’s has that ability to read off his teammates and see the ice using his above-average vision. Overall his skating is not spectacular, his straight-line speed is just about average at best but he uses his agility to his advantage. His edgework and cross overs are very solid and prefers to go east-west rather than north-south. His shot is slightly below average as he’s proved to show good accuracy but his velocity and mechanics lag behind.

Notes: Habs Prospects in the NCAA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->