NHL Entry Draft #19 overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
IMO Ott has plenty of assets that can & should be used to acquire the players they have targeted in this draft especially those assets that may not have a future in this org due to having better players in those same positions. I think Ott has enough assets to acquire at least three of Lavoie, Moritz, Leason & Keppen which would be a great haul in this draft & still keep their 1st rd picks for the 2020 draft.

I also think they have a few assets that packaged correctly could get them into the top 10 of this draft should they find the right partner to deal with. But more realistically, I think three of those prospects could be acquired from the positions they have now & a package of assets could be put together to acquire that other 1st rd player they might covet. Besides Ott's picks I would add Abramov, Balcers, Veronne, Tychonik & Lajoie & other assets that can be moved to acquire the draft prospects Ott may have targeted in this draft.

Example:
19th overall - draft Raphael Lavoie C (add an asset to move up a couple of spots, if required)
Trade: Brannstrom for the pick that drafts Seider OR 2020 SJ 1st plus 2020 Dallas 3rd for Seider.
Trade: 32nd overall & Abramov to move up to maybe 28th overall to acquire Leason, if required.
44th overall - draft Ethan Keppen LW or John Beecher LW (move up again to get him).

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
IMO Ott has plenty of assets that can & should be used to acquire the players they have targeted in this draft especially those assets that may not have a future in this org due to having better players in those same positions. I think Ott has enough assets to acquire at least three of Lavoie, Moritz, Leason & Keppen which would be a great haul in this draft & still keep their 1st rd picks for the 2020 draft.

I also think they have a few assets that packaged correctly could get them into the top 10 of this draft should they find the right partner to deal with. But more realistically, I think three of those prospects could be acquired from the positions they have now & a package of assets could be put together to acquire that other 1st rd player they might covet. Besides Ott's picks I would add Abramov, Balcers, Veronne, Tychonik & Lajoie & other assets that can be moved to acquire the draft prospects Ott may have targeted in this draft.

Example:
19th overall - draft Raphael Lavoie C (add an asset to move up a couple of spots, if required)
Trade: Brannstrom for the pick that drafts Seider OR 2020 SJ 1st plus 2020 Dallas 3rd for Seider.
Trade: 32nd overall & Abramov to move up to maybe 28th overall to acquire Leason, if required.
44th overall - draft Ethan Keppen LW or John Beecher LW (move up again to get him).
The only one of those examples that isn't awful for th Sens is taking Lavoie at 19

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I wouldn't move up

Pick 19 32 and 44

Should get 3 big pieces for the rebuild
That would be fine. But i'd be happy to hear they've moved up with those picks turning them into two higher picks rather than 4 lower picks if a good opportunity is there and they have guys they are targeting.
I want quality not quantity at this point especially.

Last edited:

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
You don't like Seider or Leason or Keppen?

Brannstrom isn't going anywhere. I know he's not your type of guy, but considering the price we paid for him the organization is gonna give him a ton of rope. He's also rated as the 10-15th best prospect in the world on most lists, that's certainly better than the 12th-18th pick in this draft.

Reactions: bert

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
That would be fine. But i'd be happy to hear they've moved up with whose picks turning them into two higher picks rather than 4 lower picks if a good opportunity is there and they have guys they are targeting.
I want quality not quantity at this point especially.

Except you lose picks when you move up

The rankings of this draft are all over the place

I dont see how moving up a few spots will do much.. chances are a guy at 19 will fall and be a fit here. I dont see much different in the quality of guys ranked outside the top 10 in the 11-20 range

You're not moving into the top 10 so just pick the best guy at 19

And theres good options at 32 and 44 so keep those picks and dont use them to move up

Last edited:

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
You don't like Seider or Leason or Keppen?
Love Seider, not at the expense of Brannstrom though, that's moronic. Not sure any team would trade a pick for SJ 2020 pick and a 3rd

Keppen would be a terrible pick that high, cuod get him much lower than early 2nd.

Beecher would be a bad pick for the Sens, especially that high,

Leason would be great at 32, as would about 10 other guys. No need to trade a guy our scouts loved to move up 4 spots when you can get a guy just as good by staying put.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Brannstrom isn't going anywhere. I know he's not your type of guy, but considering the price we paid for him the organization is gonna give him a ton of rope. He's also rated as the 10-15th best prospect in the world on most lists, that's certainly better than the 12th-18th pick in this draft.
I think you're right, we're stuck with him. :skeptic:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Love Seider, not at the expense of Brannstrom though, that's moronic. Not sure any team would trade a pick for SJ 2020 pick and a 3rd

Keppen would be a terrible pick that high, cuod get him much lower than early 2nd.

Beecher would be a bad pick for the Sens, especially that high,

Leason would be great at 32, as would about 10 other guys. No need to trade a guy our scouts loved to move up 4 spots when you can get a guy just as good by staying put.
They moved up to acquire Gagne, ... (you loved that move:sarcasm:) ... I don't think we know what they will do to get the player they target. I had Keppen at 57th until we moved up to 44th. I don't know a lot of those guys not playing in the OHL as much but Keppen is a very decent player with a non-stop motor who has some skills & decent size, have you ever seen him play? I don't like Brannstrom & would like to see him traded for a RD, yea he's skilled, still don't like him. Beecher is ranked higher than Keppen as are other players I have seen who I would not rank higher, I like Keppen a lot.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Why do you have such a size fetish. Look around the league. Some of the best players in the league are average or below size.
Some of the best players in the history of the league are big tough players who can do everything & are not one dimensional small soft perimeter players. Why do you have such a fetish for puny players?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
They moved up to acquire Gagne, ... (you loved that move:sarcasm:) ... I don't think we know what they will do to get the player they target. I had Keppen at 57th until we moved up to 44th. I don't know a lot of those guys not playing in the OHL as much but Keppen is a very decent player with a non-stop motor who has some skills & decent size, have you ever seen him play? I don't like Brannstrom & would like to see him traded for a RD, yea he's skilled, still don't like him. Beecher is ranked higher than Keppen as are other players I have seen who I would not rank higher, I like Keppen a lot.
Should check that, I certainly did not...and how did that pick work out?

Of course they are, Keppen is the 110th ranked NA skater...Saw him play at the W-U 17's, that's it, have only seen a few OHL games all season

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
U18s coming up .. Great chance to see several prospects compete vs their peers.
I am interested in seeing how Legare does .. looking like a 2nd rounder
Also a good chance for Newhook to show his stuff. He was left off the Hlinka team to the surprise of many. Cozens should be a force again.

Swedes have Broberg and Soderstrom for this draft.. Raymond and Holtz were great at the Hlinka they are 2020 eligible. Gunler was left off so far .. which is disappointing.

Fins have Heinola 2019 and Lundell who I think is pretty intriguing for 2020

USA should have all their big names from the USNTDP there.

Russia will have Podkolzin who was a human highlight at the Hlinka.

Should be fun .. well worth watching.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008

Totally agree with you on Keppen, Beecher and Brannstrom.

Also agree that Abramov would be a high price to pay to move up ~4/5 spots. That being said, if the team has Leason (or Pelletier or whoever) in their top 20 I don't think it's completely out of the realm of possibilities to see that type of move made. Would I prefer to throw in a draft pick instad of VA? Absolutely. Would I completely shut down the idea of moving one of our B/C prospects to make sure the scouting staff gets their target? Probably not.

Caertinaly makes for an interesting conversation. I do know I'm higher on Leason/Pelletier than the "10 other guys" we can get in that range though, so I'm a bit biased.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Should check that, I certainly did not...and how did that pick work out?

Of course they are, Keppen is the 110th ranked NA skater...Saw him play at the W-U 17's, that's it, have only seen a few OHL games all season

I know ... hence the sarcastic emojii.

I doubt Keppen is your kind of hockey player anyway but there are a number of players ranked higher that I have seen that I would not take before him. Should be an interesting draft this yr. Enjoy your day.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
If Newhook is still available at about 16 I'd look at trading up. If he's long gone I think Seider is worth a look. If by chance he goes at 17-18 then I would be OK with trading down for Lassi Thomson.

Also be OK with taking Lavoie. Quite a bit of upside there by all accounts.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Some of the best players in the history of the league are big tough players who can do everything & are not one dimensional small soft perimeter players. Why do you have such a fetish for puny players?

I don't have a fetish for small players. I have a fetish for dynamic players with hockey sense no matter the size.

Reactions: Riceroni

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
The steal of this draft, if he slips because of his size, will be Caufield. High IQ player and can flat out score. He's smart and has a hell of a wrist shot.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Caufield/Pelletier/Hoglander need to be the picks.

Would be a massive draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad