Prospect Info: #19 OA - C/W Evgeny Svechnikov, QMJHL

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Nice little blurb:

Incredibly skilled offensive winger. Has a remarkably accurate shot to go along with some magic hands. Could be better defensively, but his game is based around his acute sense of what is happening on the ice in the offensive zone. All-in-all, a deadly player who possesses good size, elite-level skill, and smooth skating. (Curtis Joe, EP 2014)

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
Wings took like 11 centers last year. I don't give a damn if this guy is a center or not. If he's a dynamic NHL player, it doesn't matter.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
About time we picked a highly touted Russian. I imagine seeing some of the recent successes including the team that just ousted them in the playoffs may have opened their eyes a little.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Hope_Smoke ‏@Hope_Smoke 11m11 minutes ago
Pronman had Svechnikov ranked 9th.

http://thehockeywriters.com/next-ge...&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=sumome_share

Ross MacLean ‏@rossmaclean 11m11 minutes ago
Elite skater who can really pick his spots when releasing the puck. Doesn't need much room to execute and has great quickness in his hands

Todd Cordell ‏@ToddCordell 13m13 minutes ago
Svechnikov is the most classic Red Wings pick ever. High-end skill. Definitely not 18 players better than him in terms of pure talent.

His combination of size and elite offensive skills should have teams drooling, so I'll be surprised if he does slide into the mid-teens.

Nice little blurb:

Music to my ears :yo:

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
Problem with Russian player is you can't keep them in GR to "over ripen" or even fully ripen for that matter as the KHL will always come calling/ or in the very least is a good bluff to force a promotion to the big club.

Maybe over ripening was a Babcock thing and Blashill believes differently.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Pronman's analysis of the the Wings pick

Svechnikov is a 6-2 forward with a ton of talent who effectively switched to center in the latter months of the season. He's very shifty in tight, and can make lightning-quick moves to evade pressure. Svechnikov also uses his big frame well to protect the puck and doesn't shy away from putting physical pressure on his opponents. He sees the ice well, and has good touch on all his passes.

His skating isn't a standout attribute, but he skates fine as a bigger player. His defense is a notable "work in progress," and he doesn't at all seem like a player you're projecting into tough defensive roles as an NHLer. His upside is top-end, as you don't often see his combination of size, puck skills and offensive IQ.

Team fit: The Red Wings system is officially stocked with the pick of Svechnikov, as he adds on to prospects like Anthony Mantha, Dylan Larkin and Axel Holmstrom as legitimate top-end forward prospects. These are not your typical small high-end skill guys Detroit is known for, they all have size and top-end scoring tools.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
One thing to keep in mind: there was speculation early in the year that Svechnikov has it in him to convert to center. He did play down the middle a bit.

But yeah, he definitely has the skill, the size, and the skating. I can see why he was BPA.

The Capitals did this with Kuznetsov and Burakovsky, if I'm not mistaken. Maybe different prospects, but if I'm not mistaken, they've managed to convert a few young prospects from wing to center.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Problem with Russian player is you can't keep them in GR to "over ripen" or even fully ripen for that matter as the KHL will always come calling/ or in the very least is a good bluff to force a promotion to the big club.

Maybe over ripening was a Babcock thing and Blashill believes differently.

I think he is pretty physically mature already, so it might not be needed because he might be ready sooner than the small skilled guys we usually pick. I actually think that might have factored into why they took him.

Kind of like they were taking about Mantha making the team at 19.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Pronman's analysis of the the Wings pick

Svechnikov is a 6-2 forward with a ton of talent who effectively switched to center in the latter months of the season. He's very shifty in tight, and can make lightning-quick moves to evade pressure. Svechnikov also uses his big frame well to protect the puck and doesn't shy away from putting physical pressure on his opponents. He sees the ice well, and has good touch on all his passes.

His skating isn't a standout attribute, but he skates fine as a bigger player. His defense is a notable "work in progress," and he doesn't at all seem like a player you're projecting into tough defensive roles as an NHLer. His upside is top-end, as you don't often see his combination of size, puck skills and offensive IQ.

Team fit: The Red Wings system is officially stocked with the pick of Svechnikov, as he adds on to prospects like Anthony Mantha, Dylan Larkin and Axel Holmstrom as legitimate top-end forward prospects. These are not your typical small high-end skill guys Detroit is known for, they all have size and top-end scoring tools.

I honestly don't give a **** if Svech is a "work in progress" defensively. I can't stand it when GMs/scouts fawn over 18 year olds for their defensive prowess, without more. You can learn defense. Look at Datsyuk. You can't learn talent.

8snake

Aug 3, 2005
If he can make the transition to center and thrive as the competition level rises we are looking at the future #2 center for this team. Just from watching his tape you can see he has much more natural offensive skills and instincts than Sheahan. Just a more instinctive and fluid player.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Gotta admit I am really psyched by this pick. Mainly because I have a thing for highly skilled Russians.

This is pretty much the only reason I'm not pissed we took a winger. I love highly skilled Russians or, synonymously, highly skilled creative players. Even if you can't build a team around them, they're still ridiculously entertaining.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
A Russian who was playing in the QMJHL and came over to specifically learn NA ice. Probably has the lowest "Russian factor" out of all the Russians this draft.

Provorov is probably lowest, but yeah he is right there too.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Nyquist-Larkin-Svechnikov
Tatar-Sheahan-Mantha

Without dealing anyone... that looks pretty damn nice.

Maybe you flop them some, but Wings lineup does not look weak going forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad