Prospect Info: #19 OA - C/W Evgeny Svechnikov, QMJHL

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
If he can make the transition to center and thrive as the competition level rises we are looking at the future #2 center for this team. Just from watching his tape you can see he has much more natural offensive skills and instincts than Sheahan. Just a more instinctive and fluid player.

If he can do that, we're probably looking at a future #1, given his talent/size. Mind you I'm not saying elite or franchise-level center, but statistically, I could see him being a top 30 center in his prime if he switches. Its a stretch, though.

XO

Nov 4, 2009
I honestly don't give a **** if Svech is a "work in progress" defensively. I can't stand it when GMs/scouts fawn over 18 year olds for their defensive prowess, without more. You can learn defense. Look at Datsyuk. You can't learn talent.

This x1000. This guy can play wing and center. He's got serious offensive ability. Just what we needed to add.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Kinda surprised how happy I am that we drafted a Russian. Must be nostalgia for the old days where we had talent coming out of our ears and got to watch the beauty on ice that was the Russian Five.

wingfan

Jul 1, 2012
Holy ****, so happy with this pick.

Jacked about this pick. I wanted Scherbak last year real bad and was disappointed we went with Larkin. Thank god I'm not a scout, though Scherbak is still a very respectable prospect, I'm cool with waiting a year for my big, skilled, fast Russian winger. Very encouraging comments from Holland right after the pick too. Quick summary was that he expects all three of Larkin, Mantha, and Svechnikov to compete for roster spots.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Nyquist-Larkin-Svechnikov
Tatar-Sheahan-Mantha

Without dealing anyone... that looks pretty damn nice.

Maybe you flop them some, but Wings lineup does not look weak going forward.

That's a decently sized and highly skilled group. Hard not to be a little excited.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
Glad with this pick. So damn excited about his further development. Not really worrying on his defensive work, still got some time to learn. Seems to be explosive offensively. Hell yeah.

The Geelee

Jul 27, 2013
Love the look of our future forward group.

The defense tho.. is looking pretty rough

Larkin1578

Jun 22, 2015
I'm not going to lie..I wanted Eriksson Ek, but when I started reading about Evgeny Svechnikov and how some scouts say he's NHL-ready already...I'm liking this pick more and more.

Player comparisons, anyone...if that's okay?

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
Pavel Datsyuk ‏@Datsyuk13 7m7 minutes ago
Congratulations to Evgeny Svechnikov! Welcome to @DetroitRedWings ! I look forward playing with you!

Pav has always wanted a Russian youngster he could mentor. This could keep him playing a couple years longer as well.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Yeah...except when you factor in the defense:

Dekeyser-Ouellet
Ericsson - Marchenko
Smith-Hicketts
Sproul

:sarcasm:

Of course.

That's why you have to deal for a D. But the ones I listed are just their top prospects. They have two full lines of guys who are top 6 guys or who have clear top 6 potential.

The defense definitely needs to be addressed, but they should have firepower up front in perpetuity.

XO

Nov 4, 2009
Jacked about this pick. I wanted Scherbak last year real bad and was disappointed we went with Larkin. Thank god I'm not a scout, though Scherbak is still a very respectable prospect, I'm cool with waiting a year for my big, skilled, fast Russian winger. Very encouraging comments from Holland right after the pick too. Quick summary was that he expects all three of Larkin, Mantha, and Svechnikov to compete for roster spots.

I wanted this guy so bad, pretty sure I said so previously on the forums, he's got the size, skill and overall great offensive ability.

Think most Red Wings fans we're a little "disappointed" or not overly excited with the Larkin pick if I remember correctly but they made a great call on him because he's looking great. Very excited for our future atm.

Big Ed

~
Feb 5, 2011
Hope we can pick up his friend Lazarev too, no idea where hes projected to go tho.

Larkin1578

Jun 22, 2015
Of course.

That's why you have to deal for a D. But the ones I listed are just their top prospects. They have two full lines of guys who are top 6 guys or who have clear top 6 potential.

The defense definitely needs to be addressed, but they should have firepower up front in perpetuity.

I would like to see the Wings signing atleast one of the following defensemen:

Cody Franson
Mike Green
Paul Martin
Zbynek Michalek

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Of course.

Definitely, but as you can see on the Oilers, having a stacked group of prospects with no defensemen who can get the puck to them can cause some issues. Reading that Svech is transitioning to center makes him an even better pick IMO.

Very excited to see where he is in a few years.

Larkin1578

Jun 22, 2015
Definitely, but as you can see on the Oilers, having a stacked group of prospects with no defensemen who can get the puck to them can cause some issues. Reading that Svech is transitioning to center makes him an even better pick IMO.

Very excited to see where he is in a few years.

That's what I'm afraid will happen to the Wings, if they don't upgrade that defense.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Pavel's happy, so I'm happy. Sticking around for a little Pav?? ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad