Prospect Info: #19 OA - C/W Evgeny Svechnikov, QMJHL

sully6one

Unregistered User
Aug 6, 2011
Michigan
Kids good and will be good. Wish there was a way for him to play on GR next year. Between him, mantha, Larkin, Athanasiou, and holmstrom we have some really skilled kids with size. The team will be very successful with vets like abdelkader, helm and glendening leading them.

wingfan

Jul 1, 2012
Kids good and will be good. Wish there was a way for him to play on GR next year. Between him, mantha, Larkin, Athanasiou, and holmstrom we have some really skilled kids with size. The team will be very successful with vets like abdelkader, helm and glendening leading them.

Forgot Bertuzzi... Honestly if I had to pick two untouchable prospects they'd be Larkin and Bertuzzi, the kid has the skill, the grit and the determination. I think he's our real diamond in the rough.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I suggested this guy would be a good pick, but got flamed, and was told the wings would never draft a Russian in the first round.

The odds were heavily against it. Not sure how pointing that out = flaming, but hey at least we got a good player? That's what matters, right?

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Best quote: "Scouts seem to believe that his time in North America is already paying off, as his defensive work seemed to improve during the second half of the 2014-15 season"

I'm glad to see he excelled at center, and because of that, he improved his defensive game. No questions about his work ethic!

Plus there is a zero Russian factor as he WANTS to play in North America which is why he left Russia. I like this kid!

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Best quote: "Scouts seem to believe that his time in North America is already paying off, as his defensive work seemed to improve during the second half of the 2014-15 season"

I'm glad to see he excelled at center, and because of that, he improved his defensive game. No questions about his work ethic!

Plus there is a zero Russian factor as he WANTS to play in North America which is why he left Russia. I like this kid!

This is a home run pick. Behind Larkin I would rate him as the Wings' top prospect.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009

They should just keep drafting centers. They seem to be able to transition to wing anyway and they're more valuable. Plus we're weak on top end centers. This will be our second *projected* top end center in the system.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
After some time to think about it, I'm pretty happy with this pick. He's described as having ELITE skill, and you don't get a lot of those guys at 19. If he can convert to center, he'll be a huge acquisition. If he can't, he'll still be an impact top six winger with size.

I mean, how many Wings picks these days have ELITE skill, plus size, and good skating on top of that? Not too many.

Probie

Feb 19, 2009
Vancouver Is, Canada
The odds were heavily against it. Not sure how pointing that out = flaming, but hey at least we got a good player? That's what matters, right?

The reply to my ideas were derisive. I've been a wings fan for 26 years, I don't need thingslike our drafting tendencies pointed out. My thinking was due to the Russian factor not really playing into things anymore as much, that this would be more then a good pick at this position considering his talent, and because of this it could happen. Guess what it did.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
The more I think about this pick, instead of working like I'm supposed to, the more I love it.

Aug 6, 2012
After some time to think about it, I'm pretty happy with this pick. He's described as having ELITE skill, and you don't get a lot of those guys at 19. If he can convert to center, he'll be a huge acquisition. If he can't, he'll still be an impact top six winger with size.

I mean, how many Wings picks these days have ELITE skill, plus size, and good skating on top of that? Not too many.

Considering how rare a combo that is, I'd say the Wings actually have quite a few in their system. Mantha, Larkin, AA, Schvekinov... I'm very excited with this pick. Then again I was a little disappointed with the Larkin pick so time will tell.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
The more I think about this pick, instead of working like I'm supposed to, the more I love it.

We agree on something. Though I have been calling for this pick for 6 months now. He gives the Wings a great player and the ability to trade Mantha for a D-man if they so choose.

Aug 6, 2012
We agree on something. Though I have been calling for this pick for 6 months now. He gives the Wings a great player and the ability to trade Mantha for a D-man if they so choose.

Yep or keep them both and hope they have an elite forward corps. One of the best prospect pools in terms of forwards in the league in my opinion.

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
Got to see some videos of him, he's a very talented player with tremendous puck skills. If the problem is learning how to play defense then that's no issue, you can teach that, but you can't teach talent.

I'm very happy with this pick, well done.

Jul 30, 2005
Well, one thing seems obvious: Detroit is going to have an incredible prospect tournament group this year. Larkin, Mantha, and Bertuzzi will all be there (I read it somewhere). Add Svechnikov, Holmstrom, Nastasiuk, Turgeon, maybe Frk, and that'll be a sick forward group.

Defense is still kinda ehh, but you take what you can get.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010

That was actually my first thought, too. I wouldn't be surprised to see Mantha traded now.

MrTaterSalad

May 29, 2011
What kind of deal can we make to move up and get Kylington now? Is it worth giving up a forward prospect, future picks, a current NHL'er for him? Maybe a trade with Toronto at #34 or Columbus at #38?

Bobby Digital

Jun 15, 2006
You guys got a beast. Top 10 talent in this draft. I've been wanting the Canucks to trade up for him the last couple of months. Great pick!

Jul 30, 2005
So I watched some video. Couple of things.

1. His skating needs work. and I mean literally that: his skating. With some guys, you say their skating needs work and you mean they're slow. He's not. It comes across to me like Svechnikov needs a skating coach or something. When you get him in stop-and-go type situations, he looks awkward and falls down a lot. He actually looks rather athletic in terms of power and the like, but it seems like he's fighting his skates and his stride at times.

2. His first step needs a bit of work. He's not great in his first few strides. Once he gets going, he looks fine. Not a burner, but he can be a good NHL skater in terms of overall speed. Like I said before, he seems athletic, kind of like Hossa is athletic.

3. Very good passer. His passes were frequently on the mark, and he seemed to keep track of his linemates very well. Seems to have the ability to hit you right on the tape right in the split second you're open.

4. He didn't shoot a lot, but he had a laser in the shift by shift video. and he missed the net a couple of times altogether, but I'm really not worried about his shot. His stickhandling is very good also, but maybe not a dangler in the sense of a Datsyuk. More of a very good puck protector.

5. His hockey sense seems very good. He's constantly looking around and studying the game around him, and he seems to make good reads. He's not the kind of player who does his own thing and lets others adapt to him. He adapts to them on the fly and reads the play as it comes.

6. Seems like kind of a defense optional player at this point. Reminds me of Mantha a bit. He comes back to his own zone, but he's not very involved. Almost always the last guy back, and almost always the first guy out.

Last edited:

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
People can knock Holland all they want because he doesn't make trades. He does two very important things not many GM's can do at his level. That is make sure the organization has the staff needed to be successful and his drafting is amazing. If you want to win you got to have winners in your management and Holland attracts, finds and develops these guys.

Every year people act like we will never have the pieces we need by the time D, Z, and Kronwall are gone. It's like they forget that we have a few drafts to go and we draft exceptionally well. We already have good pieces and we just got another very good one. All it takes is one draft and we could steal the D we need and suddenly everyone's mindset will change. We have a lot of promising talent and tons of depth.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
People can knock Holland all they want because he doesn't make trades. He does two very important things not many GM's can do at his level. That is make sure the organization has the staff needed to be successful and his drafting is amazing. If you want to win you got to have winners in your management and Holland attracts, finds and develops these guys.

Every year people act like we will never have the pieces we need by the time D, Z, and Kronwall are gone. It's like they forget that we have a few drafts to go and we draft exceptionally well. We already have good pieces and we just got another very good one. All it takes is one draft and we could steal the D we need and suddenly everyone's mindset will change. We have a lot of promising talent and tons of depth.

I don't think anyone disagrees that Holland has a great management team and drafts well. But I do disagree about lucking into a defensemen and having it change the tide. It could happen, sure. But Datsyuk, Kronwall and Z maybe have three good seasons left if we're lucky. Even if we draft that defensemen this year, they might be on the team in 3 years and make an impact in 5. That's a long way off.

The Wings have a lot of great support pieces right now. We need Larkin, Mantha, Holmstrom, Svechnikov etc... to become an elite player. Until then there's a ton of uncertainty.

VladTheImpaler

Go Wings
Feb 27, 2012
Really like this pick for us. I know we all love to bash Kenny, but lets he hasn't ever even come close to mishandling things the way the Bruins have destroyed their franchise in just two summers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->