Prospect Info: #19 OA - C/W Evgeny Svechnikov, QMJHL

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
I don't understand the logic of putting prospects on the taxi squad.

Taxi squad players are literally doing nothing, right? Okay, practicing with the team, but that's about it. So you fill it with "responsible veteran" types that you don't really care about in terms of development and progression, like Lashoff. Right? Like Nielsen and Filppula. Maybe Gagner. Maybe Helm.

Anyone under like 25ish should be playing somewhere, right? Play them here or play them in Grand Rapids. Don't put them on the taxi squad to rot.

Am I missing something?
I think everyone probably agrees with you. I'd say wait and see if he actually gets put on the roster tonight.
I wouldn't be mad either if he practiced with the team for a couple days before playing Friday. But, of course he shouldn't just be hanging out permanently on the taxi squad

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I don't understand the logic of putting prospects on the taxi squad.

Taxi squad players are literally doing nothing, right? Okay, practicing with the team, but that's about it. So you fill it with "responsible veteran" types that you don't really care about in terms of development and progression, like Lashoff. Right? Like Nielsen and Filppula. Maybe Gagner. Maybe Helm.

Anyone under like 25ish should be playing somewhere, right? Play them here or play them in Grand Rapids. Don't put them on the taxi squad to rot.

Am I missing something?
In his particular case it might be to evaluate his skating. He wasn't fast to begin with and he hadn't fully recovered last season. Either way he needs to practice with the big club if he's ever going to play for the WIngs.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
Larkin and Brome as net front

Galaxy brain stuff Dan

Larkin as a net front is fine with me actually as long he retrieves pucks, which he's pretty good at. Not sure what the numbers say but I feel like the ideal spot for him on the powerplay is the bumper. I can't stand watching him force shots and passes from the flanks anymore but for all I know he still may be the best option there.

Brome? Enh. Not the worst option I guess. He battles at least.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

Coach speak from Blash is not very promising

What does Svech need to show you guys to stick, or what hasn't he done in the past?
First he needs an opportunity. RIght now he's on the outside looking in. He's here as depth. If he doesn't get an opportunity then anything I say beyond that really doesn't matter.
When he's had opportunities he's play OK.
What you need to do to stick is you got to play great.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007

Coach speak from Blash is not very promising

What does Svech need to show you guys to stick, or what hasn't he done in the past?
First he needs an opportunity. RIght now he's on the outside looking in. He's here as depth. If he doesn't get an opportunity then anything I say beyond that really doesn't matter.
When he's had opportunities he's play OK.
What you need to do to stick is you got to play great.

Wish the same standards were present for guys like Nielsen, helm, fil, gagner

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
Man blashill is infuriating. Asked about what svech has to do and he says be great. Take the 8-10 mins a night and play great and earn more minutes. In a vacuum that’s fine but smith did this then played a bad game and was out. Seconds later he says ultimately we want the best players in the lineup to help the team win, but he continues to play guys like Nielsen, helm, fil, gagner. So what is it blash because it doesn’t make sense to me.

cjm502

Bingo Bango!
Jun 22, 2010
Mid Michigan
Man blashill is infuriating. Asked about what svech has to do and he says be great. Take the 8-10 mins a night and play great and earn more minutes. In a vacuum that’s fine but smith did this then played a bad game and was out. Seconds later he says ultimately we want the best players in the lineup to help the team win, but he continues to play guys like Nielsen, helm, fil, gagner. So what is it blash because it doesn’t make sense to me.
It doesnt make sense to me either. From what it seems like, if youre fighting for a roster spot and are not consistently one of the very best players on the team you wont stick. One bad game and you take 5 steps backwards.

Reactions: MBH

raymond23

Go Griffs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Larkin as a net front is fine with me actually as long he retrieves pucks, which he's pretty good at. Not sure what the numbers say but I feel like the ideal spot for him on the powerplay is the bumper. I can't stand watching him force shots and passes from the flanks anymore but for all I know he still may be the best option there.

Brome? Enh. Not the worst option I guess. He battles at least.

Idk about Larkin at the bumper. He's not very good with the puck in tight spaces and doesn't have a quick shot. I get Larkin isn't playing very well but he's still the best player on the team and should be getting the puck on the half wall. Also we need to commit to developing these guys skills, changing their role every other game is not going to help us in the long run. We need Larkin to figure it out.

I think pp1 should look like this. You run the pp through Larkin on the half wall and every single player on the ice is an option.

Ryan

Larkin Bertuzzi Mantha

Djoos

And pp2 could look something like this...

Rasmussen

Fabbri Gagner Zadina

Hronek

These at least make sense to me in terms of roles, strategy and strengths. Not even saying it would be a good pp but it at least makes sense on paper. What disco dan is putting out there is a failure before they even hit the ice.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Bertuzzi should be the bumber/net-front. Thar's a no-brainer.

Ryan - Larkin - Mantha

Djoos on the point.

It's just the best guys. Larkin gives the faceoff guy there, he has been 55% at power-play faceoffs. Also good in PP entries. That middle man role has least impact, so Larkin's lack of skill ain't so big deal, but he'll bring those other needed skills on the 1st unit.

Man love already see Raymond controlling that 1t unit, on the left side.

Reactions: golffuul

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Maybe somewhere in this thread over the years I compared Svech to Tatar.
Different guys obviously.
But they both have a straight-ahead drive to the net and are determined to get there. Quick shots. Good hands.
Tatar is smaller and feistier and quicker.
Svech is bigger, slower but stronger.
I can still easily see Svech being a 15-20-35 winger from the middle six. Maybe more.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
1G 1A today, but some huge defensive lapses

Coasting behind the play
Janmark scores goal | NHL.com

The replay of the replay (halfway through this video clip) shows how far behind he was on this play. Breakaway from being defensively lazy, AA material there, but he got a goal out of it.
Svechnikov extends lead | NHL.com

Mistakes will happen, but guy was the one-ice Shots for/against leader. Especially least shots & xGoals against, so picking up the only mistakes, when he played best overall, is very odd.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Mistakes will happen, but guy was the one-ice Shots for/against leader. Especially least shots & xGoals against, so picking up the only mistakes, when he played best overall, is very odd.
It's not mistakes, it's lazy play. He got rewarded for his laziness on his goal which is actually bad. Watch the replay I posted, he's well behind the play which is why he had the breakaway.

If he's doing it in games, he's more than likely doing the same in practice which explains why he didn't play the first 20 games.

I do like his puck carrying abilities though, protects the puck well on teh Nielsen goal. Nice feed too.
Svechnikov sets up Nielsen | NHL.com

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
It's not mistakes, it's lazy play. He got rewarded for his laziness on his goal which is actually bad. Watch the replay I posted, he's well behind the play which is why he had the breakaway.

If he's doing it in games, he's more than likely doing the same in practice which explains why he didn't play the first 20 games.

I do like his puck carrying abilities though, protects the puck well on teh Nielsen goal. Nice feed too.
Svechnikov sets up Nielsen | NHL.com

I get what you are saying, but on the first one, it looked more to me like a conditioning (ie out of gas) situation as opposed to laziness. He seems kind of slow, although I did only see the highlights of tonight's game.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I get what you are saying, but on the first one, it looked more to me like a conditioning (ie out of gas) situation as opposed to laziness. He seems kind of slow, although I did only see the highlights of tonight's game.

Yeah, let him play 10 games and then see how it goes. Guy is out of game shape, for sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad