GDT: #19| Nashville Predators @ New York Islanders | November 12th | 7:00pm | F/W 3-1

BaileyToOkposo

Feb 2, 2009
Long Island
Nelson - Tavares - Okposo
Vanek - Nielsen - Bailey/Grabner
Bouchard - Regin - Bailey/Grabner
Clutterbuck - Cizikas - Martin

If Nelson continues to play well I'd like to see something similar to this. . even tho I don't like Bouchard or regin

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
Gaustad was 13-3 on faceoffs. Even as a left shot, he took a few draws right handed pulling the puck back in the defensive zone. Isles have been horrible on faceoffs this year.

I'm not a huge "face-off" guy, I think the stat is largely overrated, but did notice the isles barely won any draws tonight. Even though they played great and dominated at times.

Weber and Jones looked pretty ordinary. Maybe we can package Vanek (who needs him, Nelson already took his job like a young Tom Brady over Drew Bledsoe), MacDonald, and a coveted 2nd rounder in 2015 for Weber and Jones.

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011
I'm not sold. I need to see Bailey and Grabner more engaged.

Tonight's win was nice. Nelson and Poulin did not disappoint. They were great. But if we wanna be a good team, Grabner and Bailey gotta start making stuff happen out there.

JT and Zeekers lines carried the team tonight against an offensively challenged team.

Lines 2 and 3 didn't impress me at all. They have to be better if they except to get points out of the next 3 games - Kings, RedWings and Leafs.

Last edited:

Schwartzee

Mar 29, 2007
Great game tonight, Poulin showing promise in becoming the #1.

Did anyone notice Clutterbuck? Guy has a motor, I mean I honestly didn't expect him to move that quick.

original islander

Oct 12, 2011
Great game tonight, Poulin showing promise in becoming the #1.

Did anyone notice Clutterbuck? Guy has a motor, I mean I honestly didn't expect him to move that quick.

He's becoming one of my favorite players. His absence was noticeable the prior 2 games. He brings a lot of energy.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Question. I'm thinking of dropping one of gaborik or wheeler and picking up okposo or neilson in my pool. I get one trade the whole year in this pool.

Who will play Witt vanek When he returns? Who is a better bet for more points?

I'd hold off and wait till the second half . Things change and just to make sure KO doesn't do his half season disappearing act...I'd hold off till after first week of Jan just to be careful.

islandermaniac

Feb 27, 2002
Gaustad was 13-3 on faceoffs. Even as a left shot, he took a few draws right handed pulling the puck back in the defensive zone. Isles have been horrible on faceoffs this year.

I'm not a huge "face-off" guy, I think the stat is largely overrated, but did notice the isles barely won any draws tonight. Even though they played great and dominated at times.

Weber and Jones looked pretty ordinary. Maybe we can package Vanek (who needs him, Nelson already took his job like a young Tom Brady over Drew Bledsoe), MacDonald, and a coveted 2nd rounder in 2015 for Weber and Jones.

I cannot disagree more with regards to face offs. Winning draws on the pp gives extra time in the offensive zone while doing the same on the pk increases the chances of getting the kill. I don't even understand how this can be debated.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Vanek is not gonna lay on the second line..unless of course we don't want to sign him. Nelson IS getting valuable experience, but he will make mistakes (of course) and right now, we are not deep enough to handle mistakes on the first line because we can't always depend (not yet) on the others to continually/consistently produce.

I would really like to see

Vanek - JT - Nielsen
Grabner - Bailey - Okposo
Nelson - Regin - Clutterbuck
Martin - Zeeker - CMcD

That first line would tear it up. Vanek doesn't need to be as fluent in backchecking because the other two will make up..While Vanek causes damage in front of the net.

I honestly think Nielsens game will step up if he moves to wing. He is like a well rounded PA and that is what we needed all along on the top line...the only problem is that the other lines can't get consistent.

The coach needs to see this...he needs to see where the chemistry is. JTs chemistry with players is all JT. He knows how to make it work......that is not Cappy's doing. If it was, then you'd see something happening from all 4 lines. Cappy has seen these players long enough to know what works..yet he does..that just tells me he lacks a lot of important experience to build a winning team.

I think we are at a cross-roads folks...we got this far, but we can't see to climb higher..it's like a .500 mental block or a .500 coach. Has Cappy hit his ceiling? :cool:

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
I personally didn't think they played any better than they have been. The D were running around out of position all night. Poulin was the difference in the 3rd period. Nabby would have probably lost it. We did still give up 31 shots and many of them were quality shots. Against a better team that would have been another L. We should have beaten them like a rented mule. The Preds weren't very good

fnfelon

Oct 12, 2013
Long Island
Please someone tell me, is this all we get with Bailey? I've been a big fan since he was drafted, and I thought he really broke through last year, but now he seems to have disappeared. Is it him or Coaching, or perhaps a little of both?

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
I cannot disagree more with regards to face offs. Winning draws on the pp gives extra time in the offensive zone while doing the same on the pk increases the chances of getting the kill. I don't even understand how this can be debated.

I agree all around. Not all too sure how faceoffs can be so undervalued.

MDIsles

New Era
Oct 24, 2011
DE Beaches for now
I personally didn't think they played any better than they have been. The D were running around out of position all night. Poulin was the difference in the 3rd period. Nabby would have probably lost it. We did still give up 31 shots and many of them were quality shots. Against a better team that would have been another L. We should have beaten them like a rented mule. The Preds weren't very good

Can we stop with the "Nabby is Garbage" talk. Look I am coming around on Poulin, he looks more sure of himself. The real PROBLEM that is and was not addressed by "Our Backup Goalie GM" was defense. This will be the death of the Isles season and perhaps maybe the injury bug that seems like its reared its ugly head again. Right now ride KP but give Nabby some starts and try to develop a "tandem" in net. Also, can the coaches teach the Fwds. to win faceoffs!!! They must be last in the league in faceoffs which ARE VERY CRUCIAL in a hockey game, jeez.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I'm not gonna research it, but I bet Nielsen has assisted on no less than five of Tavares' eight goals. I'm thinking it might be more than that.

Speaking of JT, who else has sometimes seen Nelson curving with the puck the last few times and thought it was JT? I sure hope Brock is taking in every day he gets to watch and work with John. From the height to the stick work to the skating style, that's EXACTLY who Brock should be looking to emulate at all times.

Last edited:

CaptDenisPotvin

The Tampa Bay Astros are your 2021 Champions
Jun 20, 2007
Vanek is not gonna lay on the second line..unless of course we don't want to sign him. Nelson IS getting valuable experience, but he will make mistakes (of course) and right now, we are not deep enough to handle mistakes on the first line because we can't always depend (not yet) on the others to continually/consistently produce.

I would really like to see

Vanek - JT - Nielsen
Grabner - Bailey - Okposo
Nelson - Regin - Clutterbuck
Martin - Zeeker - CMcD

That first line would tear it up. Vanek doesn't need to be as fluent in backchecking because the other two will make up..While Vanek causes damage in front of the net.

I honestly think Nielsens game will step up if he moves to wing. He is like a well rounded PA and that is what we needed all along on the top line...the only problem is that the other lines can't get consistent.

The coach needs to see this...he needs to see where the chemistry is. JTs chemistry with players is all JT. He knows how to make it work......that is not Cappy's doing. If it was, then you'd see something happening from all 4 lines. Cappy has seen these players long enough to know what works..yet he does..that just tells me he lacks a lot of important experience to build a winning team.

I think we are at a cross-roads folks...we got this far, but we can't see to climb higher..it's like a .500 mental block or a .500 coach. Has Cappy hit his ceiling? :cool:

I get the premise that we are selling Vanek on playing with JT and that's fine BUT if we were a better team with Vanek on the second line....wouldn't that also be a selling point? I'm not saying it will or won't make us better, that's for Cappy to decide but I do think it will balance out the lines a bit and Frans is no slouch at setting up players. Either way I hope Cappy doesn't set up the lines purely based on what he thinks Vanek will prefer. He prefers to be on a winning team.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
I'm not gonna research it, but I bet Nielsen has assisted on no less than five of Tavares' eight goals. I'm thinking it might be more than that.

Speaking of JT, who else has sometimes seen Nelson curving with the puck the last few times and thought it was JT? I sure hope Brock is taking in every day he gets to watch and work with John. From the height to the stick work to the skating style, that's EXACTLY who Brock should be looking to emulate at all times.

That is one thing I noticed about Brock. At times the kid played with a confidence.

That touch pass to JT between his legs was absolutely awesome. Something you really don't expect from a rookie IMO. Especially one whom if had turned that over might be in the press box the next night.

Nelson should combine the play of Okposo and JT each and every practice/shift. Those are the guys you want to emulate!

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
Can we stop with the "Nabby is Garbage" talk. Look I am coming around on Poulin, he looks more sure of himself. The real PROBLEM that is and was not addressed by "Our Backup Goalie GM" was defense. This will be the death of the Isles season and perhaps maybe the injury bug that seems like its reared its ugly head again. Right now ride KP but give Nabby some starts and try to develop a "tandem" in net. Also, can the coaches teach the Fwds. to win faceoffs!!! They must be last in the league in faceoffs which ARE VERY CRUCIAL in a hockey game, jeez.
Where in my post did the, "Nabby is Garbage" come from? I agree our Defense is subpar but we do have 2 starters on IR. With the way our Defense scrambles you just can't give up those huge rebounds that he serves up. At least Poulin gobbles up those first shots. Poulin won that game for us in the 3rd period when the Preds poured on the pressure. I don't think Nabby would have done the same.

19NYSports91

Feb 1, 2012
Long Island
Solid win, should have had more goals considering the Preds didn't look/play so good. Their goalie gave up a lot of big rebounds in front of the net, unfortunately our guys couldn't get to it or didn't get a good shot off. I think we had 77 shot attempts, only 33 shots hit the net.

Like I said before the game if Brock plays well with Tavares, which looks like a very good fit at the moment I would keep him there. I love the kids puck control, he's similar to Tavares with stick handling and along the boards, smart player.

Let's get the Bailey-Nielsen-Okposo line back together when Vanek comes back. Will have 2 very good lines.

Vanek-Tavares-Nelson
Bailey-Nielsen-Okposo
Grabner-Cizikas-Clutterbuck
Martin-Regin-McDonald

enigmatic

Fire me please
Jul 7, 2009
nyc
Solid win, should have had more goals considering the Preds didn't look/play so good. Their goalie gave up a lot of big rebounds in front of the net, unfortunately our guys couldn't get to it or didn't get a good shot off. I think we had 77 shot attempts, only 33 shots hit the net.

Like I said before the game if Brock plays well with Tavares, which looks like a very good fit at the moment I would keep him there. I love the kids puck control, he's similar to Tavares with stick handling and along the boards, smart player.

Let's get the Bailey-Nielsen-Okposo line back together when Vanek comes back. Will have 2 very good lines.

Vanek-Tavares-Nelson
Bailey-Nielsen-Okposo
Martin-Regin-McDonald

interesting, though i doubt jack has the cajones to do it

IslesRock4

Ever Forward
Jul 21, 2007
Long Island
Please someone tell me, is this all we get with Bailey? I've been a big fan since he was drafted, and I thought he really broke through last year, but now he seems to have disappeared. Is it him or Coaching, or perhaps a little of both?
I don't think he's a good fit on RW. The acquisition of PMB has completely ****ed up Grabner and Bailey, IMO. They are not playing where they should because Cappy insists on having PMB as the 2nd line LW.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I don't think he's a good fit on RW. The acquisition of PMB has completely ****ed up Grabner and Bailey, IMO. They are not playing where they should because Cappy insists on having PMB as the 2nd line LW.

I think it falls on Regin, he is a defensive center and we have too many scoring forwards. Whether it's Grabner, Bailey or Bouchard playing that third line LW, they won't have the appropriate center to work with.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009

I really only care about faceoffs when there is five minutes left in any period or on special teams.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008

PMB has played better than BOTH Grabner and Bailey of late. Sure, he's getting prime minutes, even more PP time than both, but Bailey hasn't exactly stepped up their game or effort level. Bailey's been a tentative, perimeter player the last 7-8 games (most of the games, anyway). He's best when he's involved in the game, initiating contact, cycling and using his offensive skills to make plays. He's gotten away from that. Doesn't help that PMB-Nielsen are among the worst linemates for Bailey.

Grabner has improved his game so much from his first year (yes, even though he scored 34 goals). He's a pretty solid all-around player now. Not a Selke candidate by any stretch, but he back-checks hard, he hits, he hustles all the time, he's carrying the puck more and his passing is far better than it used to be. Capuano NEEDS TO SEE THIS and reward Grabs with more minutes and more offensive linemates.

Vanek-Tavares-Nelson
Bailey-Nielsen-Okposo
Martin-Regin-McDonald

LOVE these lines.

I think Cizikas, McDonald, Clutterbuck played their best hockey all season. They were total pests out there, gave Weber, Jones, Klein, Ellis FITS on the forecheck and cycle. Even Regin played effectively on the forecheck and defensively - too bad his offense is non-existent.

Regin seems like a very likable player and hard worker. He reminds me a lot of Sergei Nemchinov in his Isles-stint. Unheralded player, didn't do much offensively, but was pretty effective and rarely made mistakes, took bad penalties. Serviceable, unspectacular.

I just wish Capuano would use his best weapons in roles best suited to them.

Nielsen is a great passer. He'd be an amazing winger for JT in every way. Not likely to happen though.

Brock does play a bit like JT out there, at times, not nearly as good but similar in their on-ice tendencies with the puck - and yes, that's a huge compliment to Nelson. Nelson seemed tentative at first, like he didn't want to make a mistake. Plus he didn't get many minutes and often with energy-type players. And that's not really his game.

I recall Cappy talking about Nelson and Donovan and how he wanted to see them play THEIR GAME. The style they played in Bridgeport, the reason they are in the NHL now. To carry the puck more, try creating offense, don't always make the safe play. That's what many of us mean by putting players into situations where they can succeed and not trying to snuff all the creativity/offense solely to create another "safe" player.

I kinda blame Cap on that as well though, because it's talking out of both sides of his mouth, by limiting a player's minutes (or healthy scratch) while at the same time wanting them to do more.

Patience. I suppose.

I think Donovan is improving every game. Same for Nelson. Playing him with JT makes so much sense and does so much for his confidence. He was a different player vs. Nashville, hopefully a sign of things to come.

Jones23

Feb 27, 2002
Vernon B.C.
Visit site
A very solid effort and a much needed victory!

Poulin was very good coming up with big saves at the right time.

Clutterbuck,Martin,Cizikas and McDonald were relentless on the forecheck and physical.The goals will come if they stay consistent.

JT,KO & Nelson along with Nielsen were very noticeable and tough in the corners and loose pucks.When Okposo has his motor going it sure opens things up.

I've been away from HF for along time(BigPeca)but am back and hope to enjoy Isles talk with some of the original and new Isles HF fans.

Go Isles!!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad