GDT: #19| Nashville Predators @ New York Islanders | November 12th | 7:00pm | F/W 3-1

Words Of Wisdom

Truth Speaker
Oct 20, 2011
Long Island.
Poulin looked great last night, he seems to learn from mistakes and gets better and better. Hopefully he stays confident, he plays much better when you can see his confidence. All in all, it was a good win, but the Preds looked awful. My main concern is Tavares.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
I cannot disagree more with regards to face offs. Winning draws on the pp gives extra time in the offensive zone while doing the same on the pk increases the chances of getting the kill. I don't even understand how this can be debated.

not debating the importance of winning a faceoff at key moments in a game - absolutely agree.

To clarify:

My issue is with the stats themselves. Besides a few outliers who can win 55-60% of draws with consistency, the VAST majority of players hover around 50%. I don't see much difference in a player who wins 53% vs. 47%, for example. When it comes to winning ONE KEY faceoff, it's essentially a toss-up.

So I'd choose the best player to have on the ice versus a player who's just "good" at faceoffs. For example, Zenon Konopka and Patrice Bergeron were among the league best last year, around 60%. I'd put Bergeron on the ice, no problem. But would rather have a guy like Nielsen on a draw over Konopka, because once the puck is dropped, IF THE FACEOFF IS LOST, then Nielsen gives me a better chance on the ice.

19NYSports91

Feb 1, 2012
Long Island
not debating the importance of winning a faceoff at key moments in a game - absolutely agree.

To clarify:

My issue is with the stats themselves. Besides a few outliers who can win 55-60% of draws with consistency, the VAST majority of players hover around 50%. I don't see much difference in a player who wins 53% vs. 47%, for example. When it comes to winning ONE KEY faceoff, it's essentially a toss-up.

So I'd choose the best player to have on the ice versus a player who's just "good" at faceoffs. For example, Zenon Konopka and Patrice Bergeron were among the league best last year, around 60%. I'd put Bergeron on the ice, no problem. But would rather have a guy like Nielsen on a draw over Konopka, because once the puck is dropped, IF THE FACEOFF IS LOST, then Nielsen gives me a better chance on the ice.

Good point. Didn't we see how Okposo was on the PK vs the Caps just to take the draw and then went straight to the bench. He lost the faceoff, and moments later the Caps scored.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
PMB has played better than BOTH Grabner and Bailey of late. Sure, he's getting prime minutes, even more PP time than both, but Bailey hasn't exactly stepped up their game or effort level. Bailey's been a tentative, perimeter player the last 7-8 games (most of the games, anyway). He's best when he's involved in the game, initiating contact, cycling and using his offensive skills to make plays. He's gotten away from that. Doesn't help that PMB-Nielsen are among the worst linemates for Bailey.

Grabner has improved his game so much from his first year (yes, even though he scored 34 goals). He's a pretty solid all-around player now. Not a Selke candidate by any stretch, but he back-checks hard, he hits, he hustles all the time, he's carrying the puck more and his passing is far better than it used to be. Capuano NEEDS TO SEE THIS and reward Grabs with more minutes and more offensive linemates.

LOVE these lines.

I think Cizikas, McDonald, Clutterbuck played their best hockey all season. They were total pests out there, gave Weber, Jones, Klein, Ellis FITS on the forecheck and cycle. Even Regin played effectively on the forecheck and defensively - too bad his offense is non-existent.

Regin seems like a very likable player and hard worker. He reminds me a lot of Sergei Nemchinov in his Isles-stint. Unheralded player, didn't do much offensively, but was pretty effective and rarely made mistakes, took bad penalties. Serviceable, unspectacular.

I just wish Capuano would use his best weapons in roles best suited to them.

Nielsen is a great passer. He'd be an amazing winger for JT in every way. Not likely to happen though.

Brock does play a bit like JT out there, at times, not nearly as good but similar in their on-ice tendencies with the puck - and yes, that's a huge compliment to Nelson. Nelson seemed tentative at first, like he didn't want to make a mistake. Plus he didn't get many minutes and often with energy-type players. And that's not really his game.

I recall Cappy talking about Nelson and Donovan and how he wanted to see them play THEIR GAME. The style they played in Bridgeport, the reason they are in the NHL now. To carry the puck more, try creating offense, don't always make the safe play. That's what many of us mean by putting players into situations where they can succeed and not trying to snuff all the creativity/offense solely to create another "safe" player.

I kinda blame Cap on that as well though, because it's talking out of both sides of his mouth, by limiting a player's minutes (or healthy scratch) while at the same time wanting them to do more.

Patience. I suppose.

I think Donovan is improving every game. Same for Nelson. Playing him with JT makes so much sense and does so much for his confidence. He was a different player vs. Nashville, hopefully a sign of things to come.
I thought Donovan took a step backward last night.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->