Post-Game Talk: #19: Devils at FLYERS, Thursday, Nov. 15, 2018, 7:00 p.m. ET

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
Came in from shoveling and thought "I wonder what's going on in the PGT"...

Imagine my surprise when I saw the contrarian blindly blaming Sanheim, Ghost, Lindblom, and other good players for absolutely nothing, but never a single peep about the awful players who actually hurt the team.

I am shocked. SHOCKED. :laugh:

#ContrarianismIsADisease

To be fair there aren't a whole lot of bad players left. Just one fart vacuuming, beet tending, heavy headed, dinosaur of a coach.

And you know they can't blame him.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
The arena has been so so quiet this year even when they’re ahead. Sad really. Having a boring product for 6+ years, apathy has set in. And you know what? It’s 100% deserved.

The powerplay in the third last night was telling. The fans barely cheered.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
"the first of his career..." Shocking, I know.

Sanheim: again a game without a bad turnover. He's making good reads and decisions. I thought he was one of the more reliable players tonight. He, Patrick, and Elliot really were the only guys out there worth a damn tonight. Elliot, by far, the most out of the 3.
  • CLANK (oh look, Laughton hit one too) [oh look, Patrick hit one too] {oh look, Konecny hit one too} oh look, Lindblom too. I ran out of brackets sets.
I'm gonna like this Laughton/NAK pairing.

Folin lol the slug out of the box

Simmonds is such a bad passer. He always does that spinny whip like blind pass and it goes to either no one and out or someone, but it's too hot to handle. This isn't a new development, just seemed like I noticed it a lot this game.

I really don't have a lot of shit to say about this game. I'm very tired. It took me 3 hours to slide to work today and stayed until 2:45a because I got there like an hour late. Plus, I just watched a Flyers game. This team is maddening. Simmonds can't even score on an empty net from 9 feet out. The powerplay continues to be powerless. The waved off goal is the icing on the cake (it shouldn't have been a goal, they got it right). The time has come to start declining penalties. Shockingly, they didn't allow a ppga, though they should have if not for a superhuman series of saves by Elliot.

The way the Flyers were a) forced to exit the zone immediately after entering most times and b) were blanketed by Devils who sealed off all seams (shorthanded too) just highlights the shortcomings of this coach's system. You see one team stifling the opposition trying to carry the puck time after time after time, with nowhere to go if they final do get into the offensive zone. Juxtaposed with this is the Flyers in their defensive zone- watching and leaving players open on the weak side or allowing players a free line to the net.

The Flyers have been admirably opportunistic in the last few games. Tonight they were not. A ppg would help get things going, but lord knows that's not happening. I don't think there's much else worth saying other than this is such a typical Haltskunk coached hockey game complete with another team-changing injury.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Eh, they were fine last night, good even... bad luck game where they outplayed the opposition clearly and had lots of good chances.

If they played like that every night they would win ~50 games a year... problem is that they don't play like that all the time!

Though still even during a good game... way too many passes back to the point and shoot on site after getting over blueline.

Devils took like ~1-2 shot attempts from the blue-line all game to the Flyers ~15-20!

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
The arena has been so so quiet this year even when they’re ahead. Sad really. Having a boring product for 6+ years, apathy has set in. And you know what? It’s 100% deserved.

With the new coach i just want an outlandish system. It's as good to lose 6-5 as it is 2-1.

Reactions: Tripod

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
pretty funny watching post game interviews. players all say they were frustrated. coach says i didn't see any frustration out there. just shows how much of a disconnect their is.
This cracks me up about many fans on this board.

When Hakstol gets asked a question about what happened on a conceded goal, & truthfully says there was a coverage mistake (without naming names), posters rail against him, claiming he “threw his players under the bus.”

When he gets asked if he thought the players were frustrated, & he says no, they played hard all game, posters rail against Hakstol claiming he’s being disingenuous.

It’s a perfect example of how the Hak hate is so strong that everything will be interpreted against him.

Again, I would like a different coach. I hate how the team has no identity, let alone having lost the Flyers identity. But it’s still humorous to see how everything gets twisted against Hakstol pretty much regardless of what he does.

Kind of like Hagg making two very good defensive plays on his shift before the Devils’ 2nd goal, going for a line change when the Flyers were in possession of the puck, & then getting blamed by some for “making a bad change” (with no acknowledgement of his good defensive plays) when Couturier inexplicably coughs it up at the offensive blueline, and even though Sanheim was on the right side of the puck when he came on the ice.

So much protecting of favorites & scapegoating of whipping boys. It’s a fascinating psychological study.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Once again, I’d like to just quickly complain that

HAGG IS ALWAYS OUT WITH THE TOP LINE

This idiotic system forces players to pass back to the defensemen in the offensive zone and HES who the top line has to work with? And before someone is dumb enough to pretend I’m just biased against Hagg, I’ll also add Provorov to the list of people who shouldn’t be playing with the top line right now because he’s also been bad (although obviously not as bad as Hagg). Thats the worst possible pair to be PERMANENTLY ATTATCHED to the top forwards.

What needs to happen is the pairs need to be fixed.

Provorov-Ghost
Sanheim-Gudas
Hagg-Folin

Keep all the trash on one pair, give them minimal minutes, and let the top 4 help us win games.

WIP CALLER

Aug 18, 2016
Once again, I’d like to just quickly complain that

HAGG IS ALWAYS OUT WITH THE TOP LINE

This idiotic system forces players to pass back to the defensemen in the offensive zone and HES who the top line has to work with? And before someone is dumb enough to pretend I’m just biased against Hagg, I’ll also add Provorov to the list of people who shouldn’t be playing with the top line right now because he’s also been bad (although obviously not as bad as Hagg). Thats the worst possible pair to be PERMANENTLY ATTATCHED to the top forwards.

What needs to happen is the pairs need to be fixed.

Provorov-Ghost
Sanheim-Gudas
Hagg-Folin

Keep all the trash on one pair, give them minimal minutes, and let the top 4 help us win games.
Yeah keeping the trash contained to one pair is what has needed to happen for 4 years now, but something something he has no other choice!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad