Post-Game Talk: #19: Devils at FLYERS, Thursday, Nov. 15, 2018, 7:00 p.m. ET

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Eh, they were fine last night, good even... bad luck game where they outplayed the opposition clearly and had lots of good chances.

If they played like that every night they would win ~50 games a year... problem is that they don't play like that all the time!

Though still even during a good game... way too many passes back to the point and shoot on site after getting over blueline.

Devils took like ~1-2 shot attempts from the blue-line all game to the Flyers ~15-20!

And this is why I can hardly care when they do play well; the good play goes towards futile point shots. So what's the point?

Reactions: Philly Phish

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I love the blame Giroux crowd. Yes, he has made mistakes (uhhh every player does) but what he brings to the table and his play heavily outweigh any negative play he has had this year. It has throughout his career. Giroux doesn’t only put points up but he does a hell of a lot more. This is especially noticeable when you’re at the games.

You know what the captain is doing, leading by example. You know what that means. He is playing in a system that is designed to utilize the points for shots on net. Ever since you are told to put on skates the dirty areas are where you get your goals. This teams strategy is to pass away from those areas and then try and crash and deflect anything from the points. It’s extremely basic. Konency constantly gets benched due to playing outside the system and going east west instead of north south. In the new nhl that’s how teams are creating. You make plays to trailers and soft spots of the ice. Which is usually east or west of you.

Keep spitting the same old shit garbage about the player who literally carried the team. “Defending” the coach is about the last thing anyone should be doing. Watch other teams in the nhl. Watch the type of plays they are doing on the ice. Yes teams will pass it back to the point for those shots but it’s not the staple of their system. It is for ours. It leads to boring defensive hockey. That’s not winning anymore in the NHL.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I love the blame Giroux crowd. Yes, he has made mistakes (uhhh every player does) but what he brings to the table and his play heavily outweigh any negative play he has had this year. It has throughout his career. Giroux doesn’t only put points up but he does a hell of a lot more. This is especially noticeable when you’re at the games.

You know what the captain is doing, leading by example. You know what that means. He is playing in a system that is designed to utilize the points for shots on net. Ever since you are told to put on skates the dirty areas are where you get your goals. This teams strategy is to pass away from those areas and then try and crash and deflect anything from the points. It’s extremely basic. Konency constantly gets benched due to playing outside the system and going east west instead of north south. In the new nhl that’s how teams are creating. You make plays to trailers and soft spots of the ice. Which is usually east or west of you.

Keep spitting the same old **** garbage about the player who literally carried the team. “Defending” the coach is about the last thing anyone should be doing. Watch other teams in the nhl. Watch the type of plays they are doing on the ice. Yes teams will pass it back to the point for those shots but it’s not the staple of their system. It is for ours. It leads to boring defensive hockey. That’s not winning anymore in the NHL.
One of them literally said the stars didn't carry the team last year... that they made the playoffs because of MacDonald coming back from injury. :laugh:

They just refuse to admit how good Giroux is, no matter how many times he embarrasses them.

First reason is because they swore he was declining and refuse to admit they were wrong.
Second reason is because part of their Hakstol defense is pretending the roster is to blame and he doesn't have elite talent.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Uh, how many people on this board have “blamed Giroux” for the Flyers’ play this season? I’ve seen overwhelming praise, & an extreme degree of sensitivity & defensiveness if anyone so much as points out a single mistake.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Hagg has been solid, Weal has been solid.
Are they building blocks for a SC contender? Nah.
But they're not the reason this team is struggling.

Facts are facts, opinions from amateurs unsupported by facts are garbage.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
One of them literally said the stars didn't carry the team last year... that they made the playoffs because of MacDonald coming back from injury. :laugh:

They just refuse to admit how good Giroux is, no matter how many times he embarrasses them.

G + V + C + Gh + P only combined for 369 points. That's moon-level production at best.

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
You miss the point, the 1st line isn't carrying Hagg, and Hagg isn't the reason the 1st line has struggled, they were playing worse before being matched with Provorov - Hagg, though that was probably due to Couts coming back too soon from his MCL.
The first line is struggling cause the center was injured to start the year and they are being used differently than last year. At this time. Last year hak use filp and Laughton to ease match ups. The point people were making is that provy and hagg. Are not helping sustain pressure and are being used as the shut down pair. As is coots. He wants them to be the shut down group not a scoring line. Hence their deployment. That’s the problem.

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
If ... the Flyers' PK wasn't 30th in the League;

If ... what should be our primary competitive advantage (the power play) wasn't ranked 29th;

If ... we hadn't just thrown points away by playing a game (against Florida) where we sleepwalked through two periods and, only after that, showed that we are actually capable of playing with talent and competitive drive; and

If ... our defensive pairings and on-ice match-ups weren't so bewildering:

I would have actually shrugged off last night's game as a bad beat where we played pretty well but lost due to some tough breaks and few inches on our shots.

But we're a mediocre .500 on this home stand, with the toughest opponent coming up. We should be .750, at least. If we drop to .400 after Saturday and our overall record drops below .500 (again) that will be another sure sign that this club needs a serious shake-up that should start behind the bench.

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
You miss the point, the 1st line isn't carrying Hagg, and Hagg isn't the reason the 1st line has struggled, they were playing worse before being matched with Provorov - Hagg, though that was probably due to Couts coming back too soon from his MCL.
This is also disingenuous as that happened eight games in. Your use of stats again are only to support an agenda not to provide context. It’s a shame. It’s like watching a first grader use them. Or a drugged ex hippie who just learned

Reactions: Curufinwe

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
This is also disingenuous as that happened eight games in. Your use of stats again are only to support an agenda not to provide context. It’s a shame. It’s like watching a first grader use them. Or a drugged ex hippie who just learned

And your statistical expertise is what?

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
Gritty isn’t even threatening other teams mascots any more. I hate to say it buddy but I think your losing me Grits.

Gritty has taken on the personality of the team and Hakstol.

Become soft and lifeless.

Mrs. Gritty is very afraid.

"What's happened to the man, errrr ... thing, I used to know?"

giphy.gif

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Everyone, use the ignore list, please. I do it. 30+ accounts on ignore. It works well. It saves time. I mostly avoid trolls. My blood pressure stays low. You will be happier. Do it.
Second day here I started using it. Mag told me there was an ignore feature here when I was over at HB. Decided to see what all the fuss was about a little bit thereafter. Read a post by a poster who shall remain nameless, responded to it, read 3 more posts by this poster who shall remain nameless, and in 15 minutes I was using ignore.

It is a heartwarmingly great feature

JXC

#ThisAintXbox #ThisAintMightyDucks #FireHakstol
Dec 28, 2005
I honestly still don't have anyone on ignore. I wonder if anyone is ignoring me.

If so, i imagine there's just too much charm there for some people to handle.
I’ve just one particularly annoying and prolifically noisy guy in Ignore. I love everyone else.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->