Post-Game Talk: #19| Boston Bruins @ New York Islanders | February 25th | 7:00 PM | F/W 7-2

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
We are not firing on all cylinders yet. Every game has too many lapses or letdowns of effort. The loss to Pens last game is the effort and execution required to win if a few finishing goals are included in the mix.
1/3 of the season over. Step on the gas, I don't want to come down to the last few games with the playoffs still unsecured.
LGI

Speaking of firing on all cylinders and stepping on the gas.

D was a little loose, especially that 2nd pairing. Mayfield and Leddy turned that puck over countless times, nearly got burned. That said, the B's played the poorest team D I've seen from them in years.

Outside of that, could not have asked for a better game. Balanced scoring, that's the best we've seen the 2nd line since September, and ramped up the intensity.

Wahlstrom deserved a goal, he's been generating chances and has played, overall, well.

Want to see the same on Saturday.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
That was so stupid and typical him. That has always been the knock on him- that he's not mentally tough and not exactly a good locker room presence. Looks like he's done nothing to disprove that since he's left!

I've seen him do that at least twice now with the Bruins, I'm betting there are more. He actually made a lot of good stops.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
great game! obviously because of the score, but i think we put the B's in their place. again.

they had 3 days off, so Rask could easily have played. but they started Halak. i feel like they were sending a dig at us.

anyway...

i think Pageau and Oliver need to always be together. gives Pageau some consistency, and gives Wahlly some really solid mentorship. so far, so good.

wanna see Frederic punch Martin's fist, with his face. you don't come into our barn, and harass our star, without repercussions. love Martin!

Beau needed that goal. he's been working his way back slowly, but last night, he was on.

there wasn't anyone that i was unhappy with. not completely satisfied, but we played pretty damn good.

if i were Trotz, i put my top PP unit out there late. i don't care if we hurt the other teams' feelings. goal differential is a tie-breaker, no? we gotta learn to go for the juggler, at all times. no mercy. our boys are really hard to play against, and i love it!

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I used to think Queenstown was too touristy. But with my mate living there I've really come to like it. As you said, so much to do. Altho I tend to just fish!
It's a long flight for you guys though. From WA to West Coast for us is six hours to NZ and then another 12-13 to US

maybe because I lived in NYC a for so long that when I go far away I don’t see a place as “touristy.”

yes - The flight is insanely long. So long in fact that there’s no direct flight from NYC. It was 16 hours from LA to Sydney and I cannot believe that I ever spent 16 hours on a plane. Not sure I’d do that again. Next time I’m stopping in Hawaii and then Fiji.

Reactions: scottywiper

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Can't say enough good things about Dobson and how good it has been to have Greene here to help him. It has been a long time since there was an assistant coach here that could instruct/mentor the defenseman. Guys like Seidenberg and Greene have filled that void periodically.

The growing pains are still there with Dobson, but we've essentially seen flashes of everything he will bring to the table when fully mature... which is A LOT! I was personally happy to see him lay the wood on a big hit early in the game, we haven't seen that at all so far. The hockey IQ, the skating, the passing, the puck movement - they're all there.

As with any young d-man, consistency is key and the hardest to attain. He needs reps and to keep physically maturing, but the future is bright. Thanks again to the teams ahead of us in the 2018 draft for making the mistake of having him (and Wahlstrom) drop to us!

Reactions: Lek, MJF and buud

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
Isles have had Pens number until Burke and Hextall got hired. Isles were better in the games they lost IMO. But the bounces did not bounce their ways. Clutterbuck is out, hopefully he can get back in. The ID line always plays well against the Pens. With Beau, Pelech and Wahlstrom scoring, hopefully the secondary scoring is coming.
We do need to get 3 points at least from this set.
Pens played and lost to Caps last night as well.
If Clutter is out and also MDC, I would insert Ross the Boss on line 4 and still use Komorov on Pageau's line with instructions to take the body at every possibility. The idea is to wear them down for the second half of back-back game on Sunday with likely Sorokin in goal.
If those two can just pound bodies and stay out of the box,
it will be useful.

Reactions: IslesCLT and buud

Axel574

Dec 9, 2015
I got a question: on boston's second goal it clearly looked to me that the boston player threw the puck forward behind his back after he caught it. That's legal? I was screaming during the game cause there was no whistle, but no Islanders seemed to complain.

What's the rule?

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
Speaking of firing on all cylinders and stepping on the gas.

D was a little loose, especially that 2nd pairing. Mayfield and Leddy turned that puck over countless times, nearly got burned. That said, the B's played the poorest team D I've seen from them in years.

Outside of that, could not have asked for a better game. Balanced scoring, that's the best we've seen the 2nd line since September, and ramped up the intensity.

Wahlstrom deserved a goal, he's been generating chances and has played, overall, well.

Want to see the same on Saturday.
Teams rarely get everyone going 100% for anything but a few rare games, if at all.
Last night we started very slowly like not ready to play, especially Nelson who never really woke up. The play was sloppy in 1st and 2nd periods and very annoying they got hemmed in for like over 2 minutes. The Martin own goal was caused by Greene jumping down low and not getting the puck.
Varly was good and protected his blocker side well. The 3rd period explosion was just that. It's great and shows what this team is capable of. But they have to get more guys going every game.......Half Nelson and Mayfield are bad, lazy starts are not acceptable.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I thought Beauvillier had a lot of jump, but made some really bad decisions as well.

That's probably fair, his jump was back to what we were accustomed to seeing last season. Still tried to do too much at certain times.

Did you happen to see anything that would have sent clutter to the locker room?

I didn't. It was so late I was skipping all of the between whistle stuff so I didn't know he was missing until Burke mentioned it during the play by play. Didn't bother to go back to see if I could find it.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Teams rarely get everyone going 100% for anything but a few rare games, if at all.
Last night we started very slowly like not ready to play, especially Nelson who never really woke up. The play was sloppy in 1st and 2nd periods and very annoying they got hemmed in for like over 2 minutes. The Martin own goal was caused by Greene jumping down low and not getting the puck.
Varly was good and protected his blocker side well. The 3rd period explosion was just that. It's great and shows what this team is capable of. But they have to get more guys going every game.......Half Nelson and Mayfield are bad, lazy starts are not acceptable.

Especially w/ a roster that is mediocre-good. When on, they play a good team game, score by committee, and stay true to their identity--attention to D. Varly has played well; he's not letting pucks sneak behind him, he's square, economizes his motion, tracks well. Hasn't given up many softies. I feel more confident with him this season.

Mayfield-Leddy have been liabilities out there. Terrible puck management. Leddy can kind of get away with it b/c he's a much better puck transporter than Mayfield and springs the attack. The 2nd pairing is the weakest link, IMHO.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I've seen him do that at least twice now with the Bruins, I'm betting there are more. He actually made a lot of good stops.
Halak was strong in the 2nd period, though he was leaving rebounds all over the place last night. Unfortunately for Halak his defense left men open to pounce on those rebounds. Then the floodgates opened in the 3rd period and Jaro's frustration got the better of him.

Reactions: BelovedIsles

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
they had 3 days off, so Rask could easily have played. but they started Halak. i feel like they were sending a dig at us
I don't think it was a dig. Rask already lost 2 games to us and the Bruins are playing a B2B this trip to NY, so I just think Cassidy was trying to change things up.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
We do need to get 3 points at least from this set.
Pens played and lost to Caps last night as well.
If Clutter is out and also MDC, I would insert Ross the Boss on line 4 and still use Komorov on Pageau's line with instructions to take the body at every possibility. The idea is to wear them down for the second half of back-back game on Sunday with likely Sorokin in goal.
If those two can just pound bodies and stay out of the box,
it will be useful.
Why not 4 out 4? ;)

TMI

Dec 15, 2019
Can someone explain to me what happened with Martin and Frederic last night? I couldn't find anything.

THANK YOU
Lee pasted MacAcoy with as solid and clean a body check as you will EVER see - the clip in this thread reàlly highlights just how hard Mac flew backwards into the boards. It was a thing of beauty. Frederic gave Lee a little crosscheck with a couple minutes left, looked like he might want a little payback, and Martin was RIGHT there to wrap him up and tell him to not even think about it. It's little moments like that, that make me respect the HELL out of Matt Martin. The guy plays the right way. I bet he's loved by his teammates, btw, and that is huge in the room.

NC 1972

Dec 8, 2017
Frederic was being a dick all game, going after Barzal and then Lee. Matty decided to have a few words with him about it.
Lee took out McAvoy with a clean hit, the kid didn’t see it coming till the last minute, sent him flying. And so I believe Frederic targeted Barzal and near the game’s end he had a dust up with Lee.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
Lee took out McAvoy with a clean hit, the kid didn’t see it coming till the last minute, sent him flying. And so I believe Frederic targeted Barzal and near the game’s end he had a dust up with Lee.

I seem to remember Frederic messing with Barzal before the hit was made, but maybe not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad