Speculation: 19/20 roster

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
I've been impressed with Bowey in the last couple of games. Always makes the heads-up play, can make big hits (like he did on Marchand this last week), +1 since March 2nd and, as a plus, he does have a Stanley Cup ring to his name (something only Helm, Kronwall, Daley have right now).

I'm curious to see if the Red Wings use a buy-out option this summer(The buyout period begins the later of June 15 or 48 hours after the Stanley Cup Final ends. It concludes on June 30 at 5 pm EST.).

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
I've been impressed with Bowey in the last couple of games. Always makes the heads-up play, can make big hits (like he did on Marchand this last week), +1 since March 2nd and, as a plus, he does have a Stanley Cup ring to his name (something only Helm, Kronwall, Daley have right now).

I'm curious to see if the Red Wings use a buy-out option this summer(The buyout period begins the later of June 15 or 48 hours after the Stanley Cup Final ends. It concludes on June 30 at 5 pm EST.).

I've actually really liked Bowey. All the talk of him have all the tools and no toolbox is puzzling me as I see him make so many little plays (passes up the middle, offensive zone possession plays, etc) I really believe he is going to turn into a nice 3/4 d-man for us which is huge. Build around Hronek, Cholowski, Bowey, Lindstrom, Mciisac, and hope to sign a top end guy like Trouba or EK65.

I would be perfectly okay if our d-core was the following next season:

DK- Hronek
Cholowski- Green
Kronwall- Bowey
Hickets

If we can somehow rid ourselves of Daley and Big E I would be very happy. Many would probably say that d-core is horrible, but I really don't think it is. Kronwall is playing great at the moment and with fewer minutes he could look even better, yes he struggles with speed but he still is a great transporter of the puck. Green is a good puck mover, Hronek looks phenomenal, Cholo is gonna be a good one, struggles a bit defensively but still is a great transporter of the puck, DK has played very well, and like I said I've been really impressed with Bowey.

The biggest reason we've played so well lately is because we've transitioned from d-zone to o-zone so quickly. With good puck movers we should be even better at it. All of those 6 can move the puck at a high level. Get the puck to our forwards and let the youth and speed attack the opposition that should be the strategy next season.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Honestly, even if the players that replace Daley, Ericsson, and Kronwall aren't "better" in a vacuum, just the fact that they can skate well (Hronek, Cholowski, Bowey) will be a big boon for our team considering the Red Wings best young forwards prefer more of a transitional offensive attack. Players like Ericsson and Kronwall can't keep up with that anymore and it really hinders the offense IMO.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
I think that's my favorite potential lineup for next year, hopefully with Hicketts playing well enough to replace one of the old dudes after a while.

Ya people may think its a terrible d-core, but I dont see it. You have a vet on each pair to go along with young and talented (Cholo, Hronek, Bowey) d-men. You have a L-R on each pair as well. That to go along with a bunch of speed and skill up front would be a solid team that will prob not make the playoffs, but I think will be close.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Bertuzzi - Larkin - Zadina (Poor man's version of Bruins line 1)
Athanasiou - Nielsen - Mantha (Pretty classic 2nd line, solid amount of size, speed, skill)
Rasmussen - Glendening - Helm (Match up line)
Svechnikov - De la Rose/ Ehn - Hirose (Energy/ spare parts for special teams units)

Abdelkader/ Kuffner/ Pearson/ Veleno/ our 1st this year maybe as other options

Dekeyser - Hronek
Ericsson - Green
Daley - Bowey

Cholowski/ Kronwall/ Hicketts as other options

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I know its the wrong thread, but so proud of Larks for this: (like Stevie Y, more road than home goals)

Top 10 NHL players: Road goals
1. Alex Ovechkin WSH 32

2. Alex DeBrincat CHI 23
John Tavares TOR 23

3. Leon Draisaitl EDM 22

4. Steven Stamkos TB 22

5. Dylan Larkin DET 21
Sidney Crosby PIT 21
Mike Hoffman FLA 21
Gabriel Landeskog COL 21
Vladimir Tarasenko STL 21

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
There was a debate on one of these threads (might have been a game day) about Kronwall getting 1000 games. Apparently it does matter to him:
Notes: Kronwall and Vanek pondering NHL futures

Sounds to me that he wants to come back. Not liking it, but as long as it's only one more year to get his 1000 games, I guess he deserves it. Wings aren't good enough to make the playoffs next year anyways...

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Bertuzzi - Larkin - Zadina (Poor man's version of Bruins line 1)
Athanasiou - Nielsen - Mantha (Pretty classic 2nd line, solid amount of size, speed, skill)
Rasmussen - Glendening - Helm (Match up line)
Svechnikov - De la Rose/ Ehn - Hirose (Energy/ spare parts for special teams units)

Abdelkader/ Kuffner/ Pearson/ Veleno/ our 1st this year maybe as other options

Dekeyser - Hronek
Ericsson - Green
Daley - Bowey

Cholowski/ Kronwall/ Hicketts as other options
Zadina value way to high, yes he is first line winger ,but not next year

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Should we target PK Subban? Currently under contract till 2022 about 8mil per season. He is pretty much Nashville #3 defenseman.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
The Wings D isnt awful if you get rid of 2 of 3 (Kronner, Daley, E). I'm most pro keeping Kronner as he can still make a good pass and I think is prob the legit ver leader in the locker room.

I mean it still desperately lacks a number 1 but I don't think Green, DDK, Hronek is a terrible supporting top 4.

Wings having dman that can move the puck is huge with this forward group. We score a lot in transition as we have one of the fastest forward groups in the league. If your D can't pass we lose our biggest forward advantage.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
The Wings D isnt awful if you get rid of 2 of 3 (Kronner, Daley, E). I'm most pro keeping Kronner as he can still make a good pass and I think is prob the legit ver leader in the locker room.

I mean it still desperately lacks a number 1 but I don't think Green, DDK, Hronek is a terrible supporting top 4.

Wings having dman that can move the puck is huge with this forward group. We score a lot in transition as we have one of the fastest forward groups in the league. If your D can't pass we lose our biggest forward advantage.
Last paragraph is evident from our record with Green vs without Green.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
One thing I hated hearing from Holland in his season ending press conference, was how good Kronwall and Dekeyser played. To me, they simply played, that is it, and while maybe not terribly it was also far from what I would call good. Dekeyser has reach and that is about it, but he also makes a lot of simple blunders on easy plays, doesn't provide offense, doesn't play physically, and doesn't keep net front clear, and even though Kronner played basically all year, he is behind the play way too often at this point to play any more than 12-15 minutes a night. I hope for a Kronwall retirement, Ericsson LTIR, Daley trade, and would love a Dekeyser trade, although he is going nowhere with Holland here.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
One thing I hated hearing from Holland in his season ending press conference, was how good Kronwall and Dekeyser played. To me, they simply played, that is it, and while maybe not terribly it was also far from what I would call good. Dekeyser has reach and that is about it, but he also makes a lot of simple blunders on easy plays, doesn't provide offense, doesn't play physically, and doesn't keep net front clear, and even though Kronner played basically all year, he is behind the play way too often at this point to play any more than 12-15 minutes a night. I hope for a Kronwall retirement, Ericsson LTIR, Daley trade, and would love a Dekeyser trade, although he is going nowhere with Holland here.
Kinda makes you wonder about his ability to judge talent, maybe he's overpaying DDK, Abby, Helm, etc because he actually believes they're talented players. That's even scarier than the loyalty theories....

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Ok, well, we didn't get Hughes. I'm still all for trying to get EK65 but now my pipe dream offseason went out the window :(

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

I'd be for keeping Kronwall out of that group because he was still better than them. Get rid of Daley and E, insert some better players in their place and Kronwall suddenly doesn't have to get exposed playing nearly 20 minutes a night.

MVPete96

Nov 12, 2011
Michigan
Should we target PK Subban? Currently under contract till 2022 about 8mil per season. He is pretty much Nashville #3 defenseman.

I’d be willing to part with Mantha, Rasmussen, 2020 1st, 2019 2nd. Like the player but he had a down year and $10mil a year is a lot

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
I’d be willing to part with Mantha, Rasmussen, 2020 1st, 2019 2nd. Like the player but he had a down year and $10mil a year is a lot

Did you mean all 4 of those assets for PK? That would probably set the team back 5 years.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Helene St. James:

Grade: It’s troubling just how much Abdelkader’s play has dropped off. He doesn’t contribute much offensively (he went 40 games between Goals 5 and 6), isn’t physical, and doesn’t move well. There are four years left on his contract. If next season begins as poorly as this one has gone, the Wings need to consider sending a message and putting him on waivers. D.

Hopefully she's channeling Ken Holland's thoughts like she normally does.....

Detroit Red Wings season grades: Individual highs among the collective low

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
Hopefully. Abby should be in the AHL while we cross our fingers for another round of compliance buyouts when the CBA expires.

That would be ideal, though I wonder how much appetite there would be for that on the players side. IIRC those buyouts are considered to be portions of their HRR so if there are a ton of them than the escrow % increases which is not ideal.

Without the #1 pick I guess my pipe dream is over, no one year offseason rebuilds for us :laugh: I would still like to see us try and sign either Karlsson or Gardiner, though I'd want his back issues to be thoroughly looked at. Both are young enough that they should still be contributing in a meaningful way in 2-3 seasons when the Wings are hopefully back in the playoff picture.

Knowing that our rebuild will take a little longer I'd also like to see the Wings try taking on capspace for a few seasons as a way to accumulate more assets. We no longer have any vets to sell that would be worth anything at the TD, this would really be the only way for us to continue gather picks. Some targets could be Callahan from TB, Lucic or Sekera from the Oilers, Backes in Boston, Boino in Nashville, or say Frolik/Ryan from Calgary.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
I don't see much change, another developing/rebuild year. Fans that don't wanna watch bad hockey might as well hit the snooze button till next year/offseason again. This is what I think's going to happen.

* No Yzerman *

Roster: 19 - 20
Tyler Bertuzzi – (C)Dylan Larkin – Anthony Mantha
Taro Hirose – Andreas Athanasiou – Darren Helm
Michael Rasmussen – Frans Nielson – Filip Zadina
Luke Glendenning – Christoffer Ehn– (A)Justin Abdelkader

* Jacob de le Rose, C/ LW
* Dominic Turgeon, C/ RW

Filip Hronek – (A)Niklas Kronwall
Mike Green – Trevor Daley
Madison Bowey – Danny DeKeyser

* Jonathan Ericsson, LHD

Jimmy Howard
Jonathan Bernier

No real reason to buyout Ericsson a year early, Same with Daley. Abdelkader you might as well keep around unless you want Turgeon/DeleRose getting 4th line minutes, either way it's going to cost money and not save much against the cap. It's not saving a ton to buy him out and I'd send him down to the AHL but honestly I rather younger fellas play expanded roles down there vs him eating even 3rd line ice time. Maybe also start Cholowski down in the AHL and revisit the situation around the dead-line or January if he's playing really, really well.

Look to move guys like Green/Daley/Howard/Bernier/Glendenning/Helm at the deadline. Move Ericsson/Abdelkader/Nielson for about literally anything.(7th rdp) If they can.

Idk, still firmly in the rebuild. I don't think much really has change from an organizational prospective. It's a waste to go sign guys to big money so, yeah, another year of muddling along. Hopefully they can keep the first two lines from the end of these season somewhat together, they looked pretty good, especailly Larkin/Bertuzzi/Mantha. That line was a legit threat night in and out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad