Prospect Info: 18th Overall (Round 1) - Urho Vaakanainen (D)

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
Usually I'm not very high on defensive defencemen, but he's doing it against pros which is more impressive. Still, going to be a lot of competition for that LD slot. Don't think that Sweener is going to try to improve that area through trades anymore.

riverhawkey91

May 22, 2011
Lowell, MA
We all wanted Brodin. Guess we got him. His name is just Vananananana.

Exactly what I was thinking...why trade a boatload of assets for Brodin when we can just draft him at #18?

I don't mind the pick personally. I'm a big fan of the Nashville approach of hoarding good D and using them to build out a team...IMO it's the best approach when you aren't a top-3 lottery team.

My only issue is I think they could have moved down 3-5 spots and still gotten him, so it's not great asset management.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Kid is all over the rankings from different scouting services. Red Line might have him 50th, but Hockey Prospect had him 8th, and McKeen's had him 13th. I'm hoping he will be at Dev Camp and I can get a look at him.

Lockheed

Scope Dope
Feb 1, 2007
SW Asia
I know no one likes what I say but in my mind this pick went from Gab Lamdeskog, to Jonas Brodin, to Marco Scandella to ****ing Urho Vaakanainen. What a scam.

Sometimes I forget Boston is 4 hours ahead of me and most posters are at least a six pack in.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
You guys aren't serious are you? Another prospect buried I out ranks and everyone thinks this is great for our team.

Great pick, I look forward to him getting his first NHL experience when Bergeron is 38 and winding down his career. Ugh, this pick is nothing to look forward to, maybe after our window has opened again and closed he'll be a nice 2nd li e damn. Way to sit on you're thing and wiggle a little sweeny.

I know no one likes what I say but in my mind this pick went from Gab Lamdeskog, to Jonas Brodin, to Marco Scandella to ****ing Urho Vaakanainen. What a scam.

You've made your point.

s3antana5757

Feb 15, 2014
There's going to be a moment when everyone notices how easy it is to spell Urho

Post of the night. :handclap::handclap:
Exactly what I was thinking...why trade a boatload of assets for Brodin when we can just draft him at #18?

I don't mind the pick personally. I'm a big fan of the Nashville approach of hoarding good D and using them to build out a team...IMO it's the best approach when you aren't a top-3 lottery team.

My only issue is I think they could have moved down 3-5 spots and still gotten him, so it's not great asset management.

Saw it in another thread, but no one wants to come up. All the picks from like 12-40 are pretty close.

NeelyFan08

Feb 26, 2012
I'd be happy if Kate Upton dumped Justin Verlander for me. This kid has as much chance of becoming the next Peterangelo as that happening.

NHL.com's mock drafts of Adam Kimelman and Mike Morreale had him going 26th overall to Chicago and 27th to St. Louis.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
In all seriousness, nobody is expecting a great deal from anyone later in first round. We are not getting a top 6 forward and you can never have enough defensive depth. Give me a good defenseman to trade and I'll take that any day over a good winger. Our D prospects should net us help up top if we play it right.

toasterjam

Sep 23, 2014
Mass
excited by the potential, sounds like a real smart player.

Skate well, take away space, stays in position, good net front presence. Shuts down passing lanes, played against men in Finland

some quotes
"Urho Vaakanainen is a classic stay-at-home defenseman that has the uncanny knack to anticipate a transitional rush heading into his own zone. He seems more polished in front of the net than his peers, and is often described as playing beyond his years of experience. Vaakanainen is patient and rarely allows a streaking forward a clear path to the goal. Plus, he disrupts the passing lane, and smart enough to use the boards when clearing the puck out of the zone. These attributes make him the ideal candidate to preserve a one-goal lead late in games."

http://thehockeywriters.com/urho-vaakanainen-2017-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

Have Carlo manning one pair
Urho manning the other

Potential sounds good, welcome to Boston!!!

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008

And if those teams weren't gonna accept a reasonable deal including the pick?

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
NHL.com's mock drafts of Adam Kimelman and Mike Morreale had him going 26th overall to Chicago and 27th to St. Louis.

Both from NHL.com (googled them because I'd never heard of either before). I'll take feedback from Reed D, who like pick, any day of week.

rickizbruin

Feb 7, 2010
ONTARIO
Well hes not great offensively.. but on the other hand... he really dosnt have a lot of size.. looks like a pretty good skater ? im sure years from now the folks in providence will be yelling.. GO URHO ! kind of catchy.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
I'll trust the pick. They get credit after Frederic. Would have loved Yamamoto though.

zaYG

Nerevarine
Jun 29, 2012
Santa Cruz, CA
I'll trust the pick. They get credit after Frederic. Would have loved Yamamoto though.

Same, Yamamoto seems like the player most likely to make an impact the soonest outside of the top few.

Pick seems okay though. Good name. I'll give the drafting team the benefit of the doubt after seemingly making good calls on "reaches" the past few years.

TheBigBadB

Feb 13, 2003
North Andover
Visit site

Frederic has done jack in the NHL so far. So why are we giving credit? He has potential, just like all the rest. I said it before but 70% of Sweeneys picks need to pan out because he can't trade or pick up free agent worth crap. Seriously lacking in that area.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad