Prospect Info: 18th Overall (Round 1) - Urho Vaakanainen (D)

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
I really like Sweeney's approach to the drafts. Taking smooth skating decent-sized d that play their role is great going forward.
Carlo, Zboril, McAvoy, Lauzon, Lindgren and Vaakanainen - that could be major parts of an extremely good defence in a few years. They bring different aspects but seem to be cut from the same mold.
I'm excited.

Jorah Marshmont

Long may he reign
May 10, 2012
I guess, I just followed supposed "Bruins trades" for the past year and they came no where near the value of who the "rumors" suggested you d get. When the **** does Vaakanainen actually become Bruins? 3 years from now? What a joke?

You realize this is the NHL draft, right?

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
I like fighters, I also like Torey Krug and David Pastrnak. I don't like soft players or players ranked 30 spots lower than where the bruins take them.

You win with toughness, skill and talent. Not wasting picks on players you can get a round later. This seems to be a Donny specialty. Can't wait to here team X would have taken him if we didn't

You're so hung up on ONE ranking. He's been as high as 11 on another ranking and 16 on yet another. So it's not like the Bruins went off the board like you seem to think.

toasterjam

Sep 23, 2014
Mass
woah Vaakanainen was playing against men at 16 in the SM-liiga during 2015-2016

and playing D nonetheless, that's pretty impressive.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Frederic has done jack in the NHL so far. So why are we giving credit? He has potential, just like all the rest. I said it before but 70% of Sweeneys picks need to pan out because he can't trade or pick up free agent worth crap. Seriously lacking in that area.

Well gee, Sweeney has been GM for two previous drafts so how are we to judge. Frederic outperformed all expectations last year. Even the analysts on tonight's broadcast were raving about the Frederic pick, or are you not watching and just trolling.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I wanted Thomas. I know next to nothing about this kid but i wish him all the best in his development.

reffree

Apr 24, 2003
ste-justine québec
Visit site
I like fighters, I also like Torey Krug and David Pastrnak. I don't like soft players or players ranked 30 spots lower than where the bruins take them.

You win with toughness, skill and talent. Not wasting picks on players you can get a round later. This seems to be a Donny specialty. Can't wait to here team X would have taken him if we didn't

He's been ranked as high as 11th. Who care about Red Line. If he was ranked arround 50th more or less everywhere, then you would be on something, but one single list? meh

REally like the pick. Playing 1st division in Finland for two years, not much offense against men, but every time he played against junior he did produce good number. Those who have him 11th think the offense he showed against junior can translate against men, those who have him at 50 probably think it won't translate, but everyone agreed about him being a good transition guy with good defense.

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
Was hoping for a forward. Meh. Is he physical?

He can be physical when it comes to separating opposing forwards from the puck and stepping up at the blueline, but the physical play is only a small part of his game. Vaakanainen is more about smarts, timed stickchecks, pursuit of the puck defensively and positioning than pure strength and agressive checks.

Vaakanainen reminds of Gabriel Larsson whom the Ducks drafted a few years ago, who looks like a diamond in the rough for them, and I'm pretty miffed you guys drafted him.

Cheers and Merry Hockey Christmas.

TheBigBadB

Feb 13, 2003
North Andover
Visit site
Well gee, Sweeney has been GM for two previous drafts so how are we to judge. Frederic outperformed all expectations last year. Even the analysts on tonight's broadcast were raving about the Frederic pick, or are you not watching and just trolling.

Still just potential, no matter the raving. Just saying dont say Sweeney is Christ because of his picks just yet. I am just not drinking koolaid that everything Sweeney had done is magic. Met him a couple of times and he has been arrogant every time. Maybe that's good, maybe it isn't. I reserve judgement until I see the body of work. I can say his trades and free agent pickups haven't been all that great and that's a fact, which is why I said he needs to hit a lot on his picks.

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
Was not expecting this pick. So far under GM DS, the Bruins have drafted good Dmen (1 per year so far making it to the NHL) so until they make a mistake on D, I'll wait and see a year or two before complaining.

One thing I read, and this confirms, is that the Bruins would pick a Euro because they have a lot of prospects under contract. They hold European players rights longer without a contract so no rush on getting him signed.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
He's not the pick I would have made.

I spent an hour listening to Kirk, skimmed through the Redline report, and read a couple websites.

They spent what amounts to thousands of man hours evaluating the varying players, and probably had people spend at least 100 man hours watching him play.

So I'm guessing they know a bit more about it than I do.

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
Or maybe some people just don't like it?
Some people wouldn't have been happy if they had picked Nolan Patrick at #18.

Still just potential, no matter the raving. Just saying dont say Sweeney is Christ because of his picks just yet. I am just not drinking koolaid that everything Sweeney had done is magic.
I think it's fair to reserve judgement on Sweeney's drafting. This is only his 3rd one.

That said, I also think it's fair to suggest that things are trending in the right direction. The vast majority of players they've picked in the first two rounds seem to be on the right track, and a couple of later round picks show some promise as well.

At this point, I think you can legitimately argue that he deserves the benefit of the doubt when it comes to the draft.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Same, Yamamoto seems like the player most likely to make an impact the soonest outside of the top few.

Pick seems okay though. Good name. I'll give the drafting team the benefit of the doubt after seemingly making good calls on "reaches" the past few years.

You can always pick up a guy like Yamamoto in free agency.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Some people wouldn't have been happy if they had picked Nolan Patrick at #18.

I think it's fair to reserve judgement on Sweeney's drafting. This is only his 3rd one.

That said, I also think it's fair to suggest that things are trending in the right direction. The vast majority of players they've picked in the first two rounds seem to be on the right track, and a couple of later round picks show some promise as well.

At this point, I think you can legitimately argue that he deserves the benefit of the doubt when it comes to the draft.

I think it's more of the same people always complaining and the same people finding no fault. Regardless, don't love the pick, but seems safe. I do trust Sweeney though, so whatever he wants :)

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
You're so hung up on ONE ranking. He's been as high as 11 on another ranking and 16 on yet another. So it's not like the Bruins went off the board like you seem to think.

for past 30 years ive read everything i can get my hands on for draft information... and periodically i look back at past drafts to see how things turned out

what i find is outside the top 10... NO ONE is more than 50% accurate. trying to guess the 11th best player available is like a one in twenty chance... trying to guess the12th best player is a one in twenty chance

just go back to past drafts... check how many good players fell to later rounds... reaching for a player isnt bad if you reach for the right player

check how many top ranked players never had nhl careers... sticking to the rankings will lead to failure often

sorry to anyone that wants to believe they know it all.. but these very well paid nhl scouting groups get it wrong 50% of the time so you and me in our little corner of the world need to stay humble

not responding here to op... just to this notion that anyone can judge this a good/bad pick today

this draft is considered weak... and less than 50% of guys drafted this late go on to be above average nhl players... so chances are not to get too excited... but theres always some success stories late in draft too.. as a fan its ok to cross our fingers

after all bergeron, marchand, krejci, lucic, chara were all drafted later and krug wasnt even drafted at all... scouts dont know everything

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I'll say it again but he has top4 potential, could be Bostons Brodin.

What do you think, will Sweeney bring him to AHL?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad