Prospect Info: 18th Overall (Round 1) - Urho Vaakanainen (D)

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I don't believe it was Cassidy who said it. I thought I read that Kevin Weekes talked to his Bruins people and they said that Krug was fine. Who knows at this point. My main point was that if Boston needs to go to Providence for defenseman, I don't think it's Vaakanainen.

Cassidy said to a reporter that he would not assume Krug was concussed and that he was day to day. Weekes did say on the NHL Network that people he knew around the team said Krug was “ok”. Not sure exactly what that means?

As far as UV goes, Divver said that he (and Lauzon) had missed the last couple of games before this past weekend, so not sure they will get the call at this point?

Hopefully, Moore is close and Krug and Clifton are back quick.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Cassidy said to a reporter that he would not assume Krug was concussed and that he was day to day. Weekes did say on the NHL Network that people he knew around the team said Krug was “ok”. Not sure exactly what that means?

As far as UV goes, Divver said that he (and Lauzon) had missed the last couple of games before this past weekend, so not sure they will get the call at this point?

Hopefully, Moore is close and Krug and Clifton are back quick.

Vaakanainen was sick according to Divver, and played yesterday? Zboril is on re-call, so it appears he was the next guy if needed, but looks like Moore may be good to go according to morning practice.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
UV didn't look particularly good yesterday,he's literally played a handful of games since January,I wouldn't count on him this year

KlausJopling

Feb 17, 2003
CT
Visit site
2 of our bottom pairing guys are currently injured so i think UV will probably make the roster out of camp as 7th or 8th defenseman and gets in some games. But unless the Bruins get another injury or move out a defenseman he will probably be in the AHL for the bulk of the year (1st or 2nd call up though)

Caper Bruins fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
2 of our bottom pairing guys are currently injured so i think UV will probably make the roster out of camp as 7th or 8th defenseman and gets in some games. But unless the Bruins get another injury or move out a defenseman he will probably be in the AHL for the bulk of the year (1st or 2nd call up though)
Remember how many defenceman went down last year early in the year ? I think we see a lot of Vaak this year .

Reactions: Chief Nine

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
Remember how many defenceman went down last year early in the year ? I think we see a lot of Vaak this year .

At one point, Lauzon was playing near 30min per game as the #1D when everyone was injured.

Bruins depth on D ain’t fair for others:

Chara
McAvoy
Krug
Carlo
Gryz
Clifton
UV
Lauzon
Moore
Miller
Kampfer
Zboril

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Can anyone help with the amount of games he can play over the next 2 season before he has to be exposed to Seattle or protected?

slim399

May 1, 2002
Boston
Visit site
Chara-McAvoy
Krug-Carlo
Gryz-Vaak
Clifton

Looks real solid to me.

I would love to see Vaak get some time playing with Chara as well like McAvoy and Carlo did.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
Chara-McAvoy
Krug-Carlo
Gryz-Vaak
Clifton

Looks real solid to me.

I would love to see Vaak get some time playing with Chara as well like McAvoy and Carlo did.

Has Vaak ever played on his off/right side before? I don't believe he has and that's what you are proposing.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Vaak-McAvoy
Krug/Gryz-Carlo
Chara-Clifton

Trade Gryz or Krug(if we don’t feel like we can sign Krug this offseason) for a 2nd line RW.
Obviously with gryz you’ll need a bigger package to get a 2nd line RW.

Chara can move up to play with McAvoy in certain defensive situations, but this helps preserve chara for the playoffs

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
I like him but I don't think he's ready to make the jump quite yet.

He only played 32 professional games last year. Let him go down to Providence and play all situations. He needs to learn how to play in NA (ice size, physicality) and let him play in all situations + big minutes. In Liiga, Vaakanainen didn't put up a lot of points. May have just been due to usage, but clearly his offensive game is what he needs to work on. He's good defensively and on transition. So let him learn down on the "A" while Boston has plenty of depth for the NHL. He will get a look this season. I just don't see why now, even if he is our top defensive prospect. Lauzon, Zboril, etc. should get a look before him with Miller/Moore out.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
This kid looks very smooth in the few games I have watched him in, not yet polished nor should I/we expect him to be for a while yet but you can see the possibilities of what might be down the road

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad