GDT: #18: Panthers at FLYERS, Tuesday, Nov. 13, 2018, 7:00 p.m. ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Weal is 26, not exactly a veteran retread, and he'll probably be gone next year with Frost, Rubtsov and Vorobyev vying for center spots. And he'll start somewhere else as a 3C if he continues this solid play.

The point is unlike 2-3 years ago, when you looked at LHV and saw Leier, Cousins, Straka, Bardreau and Rosehill as our call up options, we have a lot more real talent behind the players on the NHL roster. We had Ghost (blew out his ACL), Morin, Alt and MacDonald as the veteran options on defense. Now we have players who could probably step in now if needed, and may be pushing for promotions before the TDL

Still talking out of both sides of your mouth. Either the players mentioned in those lower tiers are improvements that have shown progress the Flyers have made and it's recognizable in some measure, or those players are not improvements holding steady that the Flyers are running in place. If Weal is gone next year, and is not contributing to the team by being a traded asset, nor future contributor, he's effectively taking up space doing nothing. This isn't a knock on Weal the player, I prefer him to Jori, Weise, maybe even Simmonds (unfortunately), and NAK. But to propose the Flyers are improving, but still be maligned by the same faults as has been for multiple seasons, is foolhardy. If ever there was a team that is comfortably numb, it's the Flyers. Teams like the Senators aren't comfortable, they're just writhing tire fires. Teams like the Lightning aren't numb. Keep spinning some voodoo though, gotta stay busy living, or get busy dying.

Gert B Frobe

Nov 18, 2003
Chester County
When shifts are less than a minute, 15-20 seconds is kind of significant.

That aside, the point is that someone was trotting out Weal's CF% like that one number is particularly meaningful. No single stat can sum up anything. No two stats can sum up anything. Stats are a tool. Nothing more, nothing less.

Personally, I think Weal is a liability. He's weak on the puck and he doesn't bury his chances. His CF% doesn't change that. Weal is 26 now. When a guy has wheels, people tend to give him a lot more rope. I think Weal reached the end of his rope last season. He's just a placeholder at this point.

Agreed. If you're small and fast you have to either score, or play good defense. He doesn't do either of those well.

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
Fact.

Giroux’s personal play didn’t change, its merely that the people receiving his passes are actually converting now. And his own personal goal scoring is obviously due to his own great play too.

What’s really fantastic is how insanely good he’s been despite the PP slumping. In 17 games, 15 of his 22 points are at even strength.

No matter what we all think about the collective capability and performance of our Flyers, both on-ice and off-ice personnel...I would like to beleive that fans here, and everywhere, recognize that Claude Giroux is truly a really great player of hockey.

When I think of him and his ability, I think back to my hockey childhood, when the gaps between players was so vast and you could wreak such devastating havoc on opponents who simply did not have the same skill you did, or sometime intensity, or other factors that arised as you progressed. Giroux has that still, even in the best league in the world, with the very best players...he can overcome the very best defense thrown up against him, and suceced.

I don't want to add anything more...it's something that, once recognized, is self-evident. And if not, why bother with stats or accomplishments. He's quite simply at the top of the hierarchy with a few others.

I really hope he is not added to the list of great Flyer players who never won the Cup. Especially since it's so clear that now he is trying so hard to achieve it, and bring his best for his own game as well as raise all his teammates' games.

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
Agreed. If you're small and fast you have to either score, or play good defense. He doesn't do either of those well.
Weal is not moving the needle, yet. He could though, and there isn't anyone who deserves the chance over him...Vorobyev, Rubstov, Vecchione? They are a level down.

Now, if Hextall starts actually making improvement trades for 3/4F liners, Weal could be out in a heartbeat. But so far Ron has shown little appetite to improve from without, nothwithstanding the JVR signing, and other offseason moves. Ron's like a cobra in the shade...I hope.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Weal is not moving the needle, yet. He could though, and there isn't anyone who deserves the chance over him...Vorobyev, Rubstov, Vecchione? They are a level down.

Now, if Hextall starts actually making improvement trades for 3/4F liners, Weal could be out in a heartbeat. But so far Ron has shown little appetite to improve from without, nothwithstanding the JVR signing, and other offseason moves. Ron's like a cobra in the shade...I hope.

It's November, Ron's not doing anything until he knows which way the wind blows.
If the team is in contention come January, Simmonds plays out his deal, and if the kids haven't forced their way up from LHV, Ron might look at a short-term patch for a playoff run.
If the team looks dead by the TDL, fire sale time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad