Post-Game Talk: #18| Buffalo Sabres @ New York Islanders | February 22nd | 7:00 PM | F/W 3-2

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Brock Nelson has been bad this year, got to wonder why? He's not hurt I think? He is coming off a year as the Isles leading goalscorer, 2nd in points, and at a 65 point over 82 game pace. Was big in the playoffs. At 29, he doesn't look like his skating is declining. If you give me a 65 pts center at 6M that plays in a D first team philosophy I would be happy. He has got to up his performance. I would also attribute this to his teammates also, MDC, Beauvillier, and Bailey have 1 goal this year. I think blaming him solely is a little unfair, and I do think he should get some blame here, I would give him a little more leash given he has been pretty good since Trotz came in for this team. His linemates also need to start playing better.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I’d probably move Pulock over to the qb on PP 1 and put wahlstrom in the circle. Don’t think it would hurt Dobson too much to ride PP2 this season

I think Pulock is too slow and not quick enough to be the PP QB. He can't carry the puck through the neutral zone and there has to be a second option to do it, right now that is Dobson.

Reactions: mm11 and WangMustGo

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
It looks like Trotz still has kept the training wheels on Dobson, but we need to reduce Mayfield's ice time and role for the betterment of the whole group. He is killing Leddy and taxing the other pairs as a result. Like I said last night, I am getting flashbacks of the negative impact that Brian Strait had on the rest of the defense when Capuano rode him like Secretariat.

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY
It looks like Trotz still has kept the training wheels on Dobson, but we need to reduce Mayfield's ice time and role for the betterment of the whole group. He is killing Leddy and taxing the other pairs as a result. Like I said last night, I am getting flashbacks of the negative impact that Brian Strait had on the rest of the defense when Capuano rode him like Secretariat.

Mayfield has been shakey for sure. But not brian strait level shakey!

Last edited:

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Mayfield has been shakey for sure. But not brian strair level shakey!
Scott Mayfield does some things that irritate the shit out of me. Mostly it's that he's weak on the puck with clearing passes and they result in turnovers. But he's strong enough to keep the opposition from setting up on the doorstep-he keeps them off to the side and results in more low-danger scoring chances against. He might not be a good pairing with Nick Leddy. I agree with that part.

If Scott Mayfield is our weakest link on defense the chain is still pretty strong.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Beau and Komarov has both playd 9 games and are 0+2 , remember when they start last year Beau score his first 3 games with Komarov as assist maybe they have to play Leo with Beau to get him start scoring.
You may have an idea. Two years ago Beau really got going when put on a line with Leo and Flip.

12Dog

Feb 14, 2013

Thanks
You first you brought up Brian Strait, then compounded it with Capuano and I threw up in my mouth

Reactions: PWJunior

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC

tenor.gif

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Toews’ departure has weakened the 2nd pairing. Leddy cannot adequately handle top- 4 responsibilities; Mayfield cannot cover for him, nor himself.

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY
Scott Mayfield does some things that irritate the shit out of me. Mostly it's that he's weak on the puck with clearing passes and they result in turnovers. But he's strong enough to keep the opposition from setting up on the doorstep-he keeps them off to the side and results in more low-danger scoring chances against. He might not be a good pairing with Nick Leddy. I agree with that part.

If Scott Mayfield is our weakest link on defense the chain is still pretty strong.

Agree on your points..He is a solid NHL #6. Nothing more nothing less.

Reactions: MJF

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
I think Pulock is too slow and not quick enough to be the PP QB. He can't carry the puck through the neutral zone and there has to be a second option to do it, right now that is Dobson.

I hear ya, we just know there’s not a shot Barry is confident enough in the kids to run the points which is probably smart right now. Won’t argue that wahly-dobber might lead to some shorties against

islesnyc

Jul 5, 2012
I’d probably move Pulock over to the qb on PP 1 and put wahlstrom in the circle. Don’t think it would hurt Dobson too much to ride PP2 this season
I was thinking the same thing last night. Love Dobson as a prospect but he’s not quite there to qb pp1 at the moment.

Our typical pp1 right now is Dobber to Barzy to Dobber to Barzy to Dobber to forced pass to Pulock leading to turnover or blocked shot. Wash, rinse, repeat for 70 seconds and pp2 comes on.

Tahoeblue

Nov 29, 2019
Reno/Tahoe
I know Beau is streaky, but his cold spell worries me. He also may be costing himself some $$$$. Lou will be a tough negotiator.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
Toews’ departure has weakened the 2nd pairing. Leddy cannot adequately handle top- 4 responsibilities; Mayfield cannot cover for him, nor himself.

I just think its a pairing that doesnt mesh well and they both commit their fair share of boneheaded plays.

The answer to our problem is Dobson, but he needs more time. It may not happen tomorrow, but come playoff time i think he swaps spots with Mayfield in the top 4.

Reactions: 12Dog

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I was thinking the same thing last night. Love Dobson as a prospect but he’s not quite there to qb pp1 at the moment.

Our typical pp1 right now is Dobber to Barzy to Dobber to Barzy to Dobber to forced pass to Pulock leading to turnover or blocked shot. Wash, rinse, repeat for 70 seconds and pp2 comes on.

I don't think he forces that pass at all, that's part of why I like him there. He'll actually shoot the puck or skate to create a little more space.

islesnyc

Jul 5, 2012
I don't think he forces that pass at all, that's part of why I like him there. He'll actually shoot the puck or skate to create a little more space.
Fair. Forced was not a great term in that I didn’t mean the pass is covered and he’s making it anyway. However, it seems opposing teams know pp1 is trying to get the puck to Pulock for the one timer and so they either cover it which leads to the ping pong between Dobson and Barzal or they play off but get a bit of a jump on the play when it’s made knowing that’s where it’s going and either get a chip clear or are right on top of Pulock when he receives the puck.

Reactions: PK Cronin

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Fair. Forced was not a great term in that I didn’t mean the pass is covered and he’s making it anyway. However, it seems opposing teams know pp1 is trying to get the puck to Pulock for the one timer and so they either cover it which leads to the ping pong between Dobson and Barzal or they play off but get a bit of a jump on the play when it’s made knowing that’s where it’s going and either get a chip clear or are right on top of Pulock when he receives the puck.
Hopefully it will be Wahly slotting in over there on PP1. He put the puck right on net for JGP's rebound tap in and once he gets comfortable there, he'll start picking corners. Pulock shoots it over the net or wide more than half the time. As for Dobber, he's getting there. IMO the thing he has to work on, and will, is telegraphing his passes and dusting them off before he makes them. One touch, quick movement is lacking. It'll come.

Last edited:
Reactions: buud

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
Pulocks bomb has become Farnsworth 100 mph fastball. This means, everyone knows it's coming and they sit on it because it had no movement. I think they should starting setting up Pulock with slap/back door passes to keep the goaltenders honest. Basically when he is winding up the goalie knows the shot is coming and they are squared up to him. Also, it doesn't help with rebounds since he misses the net a bunch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad