Post-Game Talk: #18| Buffalo Sabres @ New York Islanders | February 22nd | 7:00 PM | F/W 3-2

Tahoeblue

Nov 29, 2019
Reno/Tahoe
Pulocks bomb has become Farnsworth 100 mph fastball. This means, everyone knows it's coming and they sit on it because it had no movement. I think they should starting setting up Pulock with slap/back door passes to keep the goaltenders honest. Basically when he is winding up the goalie knows the shot is coming and they are squared up to him. Also, it doesn't help with rebounds since he misses the net a bunch.
Plus, when he misses the net it usually rattles along the opposite boards and out like a clear.

Reactions: 12Dog

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
Brock Nelson has been bad this year, got to wonder why? He's not hurt I think? He is coming off a year as the Isles leading goalscorer, 2nd in points, and at a 65 point over 82 game pace. Was big in the playoffs. At 29, he doesn't look like his skating is declining. If you give me a 65 pts center at 6M that plays in a D first team philosophy I would be happy. He has got to up his performance. I would also attribute this to his teammates also, MDC, Beauvillier, and Bailey have 1 goal this year. I think blaming him solely is a little unfair, and I do think he should get some blame here, I would give him a little more leash given he has been pretty good since Trotz came in for this team. His linemates also need to start playing better.

Every line with Bailey on it looks a lot worse than it does without Bailey

Reactions: 12Dog

Zeeker

Feb 15, 2016
Pulocks bomb has become Farnsworth 100 mph fastball. This means, everyone knows it's coming and they sit on it because it had no movement. I think they should starting setting up Pulock with slap/back door passes to keep the goaltenders honest. Basically when he is winding up the goalie knows the shot is coming and they are squared up to him. Also, it doesn't help with rebounds since he misses the net a bunch.
Yeah, you see OV go for the slap passes every so often and the defense is usually not ready for it.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016

i think he should just play up high on the PP with wahly in the circle. If you run the umbrella with a guy who has that kind of shot other teams PKs also have to respect the quarterback as you can get a quality chance from the blue line essentially with bodies in front.

have wahlstrom on the circle. Defensemen don’t play the ovi spot ever pretty much and Pulock has been largely unsuccessful there however from closer to the blue line we’ve seen some f***ing rips

Goombha

Raging Ryan
Aug 27, 2013
I don't think it matters who shoots the puck on the PP, they just have to hit the net. Instead of blasting a shot off the boards and out of the zone after just 10 seconds on the PP, a rebound in front would do wonders. If there's a stat for how much time a team spends in the offensive zone on a PP, I'm guessing the Isles are scraping the bottom.

Reactions: TMI

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

There's no doubt that Pulock has to get better at shooting the puck, the quickness of the release and also getting it through consistently. The slap pass/back door passes is part of the PP issue, the other is that there isn't another legitimate threat on the PP that teams have to defend. Nobody can get a one timer off quick enough and pick corners from the wall consistently enough to prevent the PK from crowding Pulock.

Over the years I've always brought up Washington's PP and how Ovechkin is able to get space. It all starts with the fact that they have Backstrom controlling the play on the opposite wall, he creates a lot of movement, and is a good enough scoring threat that you can't ignore him. Then they typically have a defenseman who can shoot it too, so now that's two players, one at the top and one on the opposite wall that need to be respects/defended. This allows Ovechkin more room to get open and rip that shot. When teams do decide to stick tight to Ovechkin you'll see them change the setup too, rotating positions to create more headaches for the PK. We see Ovechkin slide closer to the net or rotate up to the top sometimes to create different angles.

I don't ever expect Pulock to be as good as Ovechkin from that spot, but if we had some of the other elements it'd lead to a much better power play in general. Everyone is way too passive and maintains their position that it it's stagnant. Dobson's willingness to move with the puck and ability to get it on net is definitely helping the PP, but we need a little more still.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I don't think it matters who shoots the puck on the PP, they just have to hit the net. Instead of blasting a shot off the boards and out of the zone after just 10 seconds on the PP, a rebound in front would do wonders. If there's a stat for how much time a team spends in the offensive zone on a PP, I'm guessing the Isles are scraping the bottom.
What?! Of course it matters. Very few can do what Ovechkin and Stamkos can do and it isn't just about hitting somewhere in the 4 x 6 box. These guys pick corners at high velocity without teeing it up, often from contorted body positions while still getting full wood on the shot. I saw a hint of that from Wahly last night. Yeah, it went straight to the breadbasket that time but it was a rocket with no hesitation. I'm hoping there's plenty of refinement to come but the baseline skill is there.

Last edited:
Reactions: TMI

Goombha

Raging Ryan
Aug 27, 2013
What?! Of course it matters. Very few can do what Ovechkin and Stamkos can do and it isn't just about hitting somewhere in the 4 x 6 box. These guys pick corners at high velocity without teeing it up, often from contorted body positions while still getting full wood on the shot. I saw a hint of that from Wahly last night. Yeah, it went straight to the breadbasket that time but it was a rocket with no hesitation. I'm hoping there's plenty of refinement to come but the baseline skill is there.

Uhhhh, I believe I said it doesn't matter who shoots the puck IF THEY DON'T HIT THE NET. Do you think Ovechkin and Stamkos would be successful if they never hit the net? Of course not. It would be better to have Czarnik putting it between the pipes than Pulock blasting it off the glass and out of the zone every time he shoots.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Uhhhh, I believe I said it doesn't matter who shoots the puck IF THEY DON'T HIT THE NET. Do you think Ovechkin and Stamkos would be successful if they never hit the net? Of course not. It would be better to have Czarnik putting it between the pipes than Pulock blasting it off the glass and out of the zone every time he shoots.
I see what your saying and acknowledge that I did not interpret your meaning correctly, but phrasing it as you did came across to me as dismissive of the special talent it takes to do what those individuals do. 99+% of NHL players can hit the net if you give them enough time, enough room, the perfect pass and so on, but being able to do it when none of those conditions exist is what makes finding a sliver of space within the 4 x 6 at 100 mph a rare commodity.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
I just think its a pairing that doesnt mesh well and they both commit their fair share of boneheaded plays.

The answer to our problem is Dobson, but he needs more time. It may not happen tomorrow, but come playoff time i think he swaps spots with Mayfield in the top 4.

And I don't think Leddy should be playing top-4 minutes, he was much better in sheltered minutes with Greene. You work with what ya got.

Perhaps Dobson takes on greater responsibilities next year; he needs more seasoning IMHO.

NC 1972

Dec 8, 2017
No doubt , Wahlstrom is a shooter quick release big body and has a nose for the net, finds ways to get pucks to the net doesn't hesitate when an opportunity presents.
His confidence seems to be growing with each game and he would be the likely candidate to be in the OV spot, however I don't think BT fully trust him yet.
He is one of our more creative offensive players and will eventually find his way to the first PP unit maybe not this year though.

Goombha

Raging Ryan
Aug 27, 2013
I see what your saying and acknowledge that I did not interpret your meaning correctly, but phrasing it as you did came across to me as dismissive of the special talent it takes to do what those individuals do. 99+% of NHL players can hit the net if you give them enough time, enough room, the perfect pass and so on, but being able to do it when none of those conditions exist is what makes finding a sliver of space within the 4 x 6 at 100 mph a rare commodity.

I hear ya. And I agree with you. We need one of those. I hope Wahly grows into that role, this team really needs to hit on his draft pick.

Reactions: Uncle Duke

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->