Post-Game Talk: #18| Buffalo Sabres @ New York Islanders | February 22nd | 7:00 PM | F/W 3-2

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Bro, if you wanna come out me, make sure you know and understand the full story. Also, we have any other proof of this? I mean, if it's so common and every team does it, we should have tons of proof.
Given that I was at KBC about a month earlier for a game vs the Flyers I would think I'd know the full story. And a situation like that where the prize was potentially the most talented player to ever put on a pair of skates and second was a franchise level player who would've been first in almost any other draft was unprecedented.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
Given that I was at KBC about a month earlier for a game vs the Flyers I would think I'd know the full story. And a situation like that where the prize was potentially the most talented player to ever put on a pair of skates and second was a franchise level player who would've been first in almost any other draft was unprecedented.

Go read the thread, and then we can discuss why I hold a grudge....

The Official "Isle's Draft Position" Thread Pt 1: (13-6-0), Bah Hambug

Also, that's not even counting the posts that were deleted because of posters actually rooting for injury on the Islander players.

Zeeker

Feb 15, 2016
Bro, if you wanna come out me, make sure you know and understand the full story. Also, we have any other proof of this? I mean, if it's so common and every team does it, we should have tons of proof.
But again, the “full story” you’re referring to has nothing to do with that video of fans cheering for their team losing. Fans across all sports will cheer for their team to lose once the season is over and they’re close to the top pick. Literally this past football season, Jets fans were pissed at winning a few games and losing Trevor Lawrence.

Reactions: sabremike

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
But again, the “full story” you’re referring to has nothing to do with that video of fans cheering for their team losing. Fans across all sports will cheer for their team to lose once the season is over and they’re close to the top pick. Literally this past football season, Jets fans were pissed at winning a few games and losing Trevor Lawrence.

Where was the booing in the stands when they were winning or the cheering when they were losing though? We have any video on that? Also, the Jets have sucked forever. The Sabres made it to the finals in 99 and the ECF in 03/04 and again in 05/06.

Last edited:

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Go read the thread, and then we can discuss why I hold a grudge....

The Official "Isle's Draft Position" Thread Pt 1: (13-6-0), Bah Hambug

Also, that's not even counting the posts that were deleted because of posters actually rooting for injury on the Islander players.
Yeah, and I found the handful of idiots that did that to be disgraceful and an embarrassment. But do you know what's worse than that: when fans go to the final road game their team will ever play before getting moved and the home fans mock them over their team dying. I know that real well: that was the penultimate game of my Hartford Whalers, a team that I loved more than any sports team I ever loved and the game was at the Nassau Coliseum. If I can get over something that awful and root for the Isles and love you guys maybe you can get over some of our fans acting like asses rooting for a guy to get injured who is now the most hated man in Isles history.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
This team is the definition of why advanced stats are flawed. They’re playing good hockey with the highest xGF in the division I believe and it shows. however, advanced stats don’t account for player skill and finishing ability and that is where we’re lacking.

gotta think some more pucks start goin in for us eventually but time will tell.

wahlstrom is good. Guy has some serious one on one dekes. Not the shiftiest skater but he’s really got some nifty hands. Kid is progressing nicely

Reactions: TMI

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
But do you know what's worse than that: when fans go to the final road game their team will ever play before getting moved and the home fans mock them over their team dying. I know that real well: that was the penultimate game of my Hartford Whalers, a team that I loved more than any sports team I ever loved and the game was at the Nassau Coliseum. If I can get over something that awful and root for the Isles and love you guys maybe you can get over some of our fans acting like asses rooting for a guy to get injured who is now the most hated man in Isles history.

I agree, we were almost out the door as well, hence why I took that thread so personal. If we were a team that just came out some glorious 20 year run of excellence I have may of felt differently. We we suffering fan base and for those rooting injury against us, was a slap in the face in my opinion. I might be jaded, however, I'm not over here wishing Eichel gets hurt (or any Sabre player for that matter).

I loathe JT as much as anybody, never would be celebrating or rooting for him to get injured.

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Isles are definitely their worst enemy. This fascination with the over pass is ridiculous when you factor in, they are very inaccurate. They rarely put together more than 1 pass on a stick. The Sabres model is what the Isles should copy-only problem is we dont have the guys who want to be shooters.
I watched Pulock on the right side sometime ready to one time it but puck never seem to go to him . He has the best shot from there right? There are 3 or 4 ways you can get the puck to him not just from Dobson. You can go across, go behind the net, from the centre point or feed to a guy in the middle then pop over to him.

They have to find a way to let him get that one timer away from that spot. Even if he hit the iron, it can create a rebound for someone in the front to pounce on it.

I like to see Pulock to be more of a threat on PP and that will make opposition think about twice taking a penalty on Isles. A lot of team used that one timer from either the right or left top circle to score on the PP and most of the time if the shot is not going wide will score on the goalie. Almost every team has one or two guys can one time shot from those circles. Isles PP team has to figure this out.

Reactions: BarzyClub

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
BTW, Pulock always seem to start slow slow in terms of scoring. Maybe we are sort of lucky that many of players haven't played their best and we are still holding down the fort. I mean can it really get any worse for Beau, Nelson, and all of our D not scoring goals? I think Bailey is due for some goals as well for that matter.

Reactions: TMI

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Where was the booing in the stands when they were winning or the cheering when they were losing though? We have any video on that? Also, the Jets have sucked forever. The Sabres made it to the finals in 99 and the ECF in 03/04 and again in 05/06.
05/06 and 06/07 ECF. In 2002/3 the Sabres were literally almost killed in the fallout of the Adelphia/Rigas Family bankruptcy, which I believe overtook Enron for the biggest financial fraud case in American history. The team was literally unable to pay players and the league had to step in to keep them going. Tom Gollissano bought the team in the 11th hour, saved us and is really one of the biggest heroes in hockey history.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
05/06 and 06/07 ECF. In 2002/3 the Sabres were literally almost killed in the fallout of the Adelphia/Rigas Family bankruptcy, which I believe overtook Enron for the biggest financial fraud case in American history. The team was literally unable to pay players and the league had to step in to keep them going. Tom Gollissano bought the team in the 11th hour, saved us and is really one of the biggest heroes in hockey history.

Lets just move on, I mean this in a respectful way btw.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Lets just move on, I mean this in a respectful way btw.
20210223_003911.jpg

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Up until the last ten minutes it looked like everyone had taken shooting lessons from Uncle Leo.

Reactions: 12Dog

Icejoker

Sep 14, 2015
Beau and Komarov has both playd 9 games and are 0+2 , remember when they start last year Beau score his first 3 games with Komarov as assist maybe they have to play Leo with Beau to get him start scoring.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
For as well as they played against the Penguins and lost, they played poorly against the Sabres and won

That's the disparity in the teams; to compound, every team plays differently, on each night. Buffalo is skilled, yet they do not have the components to win.

That said, they have to ramp it up. Almost mid-season and the stakes are higher (given 56 games).

Varly made important saves.

Wahlstrom keeps shooting, has nice dangles; some of these have to go in. I see Farabee with 8 goals (as of last night).

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
BTW, Pulock always seem to start slow slow in terms of scoring. Maybe we are sort of lucky that many of players haven't played their best and we are still holding down the fort. I mean can it really get any worse for Beau, Nelson, and all of our D not scoring goals? I think Bailey is due for some goals as well for that matter.

An optimistic view and a good point. Maybe a few guys heat up and we start rolling.

12Dog

Feb 14, 2013
I’ll take it a step further and say he can handle being the 2nd C and makes Nelson expendable. Only thing is we would need a suitable 3C

I’m on board with that, looking like a 4th line center will be needed soon too
Casey looking beat up, don’t know how much longer his body will hold up
Love him as a player, but I hope Lou doesn’t extend him

Reactions: mm11

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
I’d probably move Pulock over to the qb on PP 1 and put wahlstrom in the circle. Don’t think it would hurt Dobson too much to ride PP2 this season

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
I’m on board with that, looking like a 4th line center will be needed soon too
Casey looking beat up, don’t know how much longer his body will hold up
Love him as a player, but I hope Lou doesn’t extend him
the kid gave everything he had for the blue orange and white his entire career but yes I don't think Lou extends him. Isles may even unload him come deadline day (if there is one this year)

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Beau and Komarov has both playd 9 games and are 0+2 , remember when they start last year Beau score his first 3 games with Komarov as assist maybe they have to play Leo with Beau to get him start scoring.
The Optimist in me tells me, the Isles are still not hitting on all cylinders, but in a very tough division are very competitive to be tied for 2nd. A bad week and you can be out of the playoffs also. But once Beauvillier, Nelson, Bailey, all huge in the playoffs last season get their games going. There is a lot of room for improvement. Not to mention Wahlstrom, Pulock, Komarov, MDC, and Bellows start scoring. It's hard to believe the Isles are still winning when you take Nelson out of the equation, there is only 2 goals from the supporting cast mentioned above. 2 goals....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->