18/19 MGMT Thread X: This is the song that never ends, it just goes on and on my friends...

Status
Not open for further replies.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Yup. I still think they take a run at Tyler Myers too.

My guess Ferland 6x6
Myers 6.5 x 6
McQuaid 4 x 3

All 3 will be bad contracts, and the hindsight card will be played.
Myers is already on nearly $6m, no? He's going to be in the $7m range no matter where he goes IMO. Like $7m I feel would be low, that's what he'd get on a contending team, a desperate bottom feeder would pay much more.

I don't want him, just to be clear.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
If that's the plan there isn't going to be any cap space for "top dogs" at that point. At some point it comes down to a balance of having say Ferland and Gaunce or Roussel and Beagle.
And the good old conflict of interest between an outgoing GM and his successor raises its ugly head again...

No significant improvement: Demko, Juolevi, Brisebois, DiPietro
Between failure to make the big club, a mixed showing in the AHL and injury troubles, I don't see how Juolevi's stock hasn't fallen this year.

Reactions: timw33

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Columbus just traded for him at the deadline and he's been regularly healthy scratched since arriving. He's done. Just bring back Schenn if you need a ham and egger.

Was he actually ever really any good (at things other than fighting?)

He was a top 4 dman somewhere between 2011 and now if I recall correctly but benning throwing stupid money at an ex Bruin wouldn’t surprise me

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014
And the good old conflict of interest between an outgoing GM and his successor raises its ugly head again...

Between failure to make the big club, a mixed showing in the AHL and injury troubles, I don't see how Juolevi's stock hasn't fallen this year.
Mixed showing with the Comets is kind. He was awful.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Where do you think they'll find themselves on these rankings now that EP and Hughes aren't prospects....I asked you more questions than to just post links, I want to know what you think personally. Besides, I don't really like appealing to the authority of these list makers. Have you ever vetted them? Like what does their 2010 list look like now, 2014? 2016? Does it correlate?

I know you wont answer any of these, you never do.

I won't say this is an authority, but here's an example of a list done after the 2014 draft as an example.

Re-Ranking Every Team's Prospect Pool After 2014 NHL Draft
What else have you got to rank prospect pools except appealing to authority.?...I dont have anywhere near the knowledge (or the time of day) of prospects to assess other teams prospect pools...do you?

On you're Re-Ranking after the 2014 draft..the first thing that popped up on the page was NYI at #3 with the outstanding talent group of Dal Colle,Ho Sang and Griffin Reinhart..stopped reading after that.

As far as the Canucks go..they will slip out of the top 3...but players like Madden,Woo,Rathbone have all kicked it up a notch in their D+1 years...Hughes will probably bypass the prospect pool completely..It also depends on the Canucks selections in the 2019 draft.?..Again though.I will have to wait until August (and appeal to authority) and see where we rank.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
What else have you got to rank prospect pools except appealing to authority.?...I dont have anywhere near the knowledge (or the time of day) of prospects to assess other teams prospect pools...do you?

On you're Re-Ranking after the 2014 draft..the first thing that popped up on the page was NYI at #3 with the outstanding talent group of Dal Colle,Ho Sang and Griffin Reinhart..stopped reading after that.

As far as the Canucks go..they will slip out of the top 3...but players like Madden,Woo,Rathbone have all kicked it up a notch in their D+1 years...Hughes will probably bypass the prospect pool completely..It also depends on the Canucks selections in the 2019 draft.?..Again though.I will have to wait until August (and appeal to authority) and see where we rank.
Why did you stop reading after that? Griffin Reinhart was two drafts removed from going 4th overall, Ryan Strome 3 years from going 5th overall.....you stopped reading at a perfect place to prove my point. These rankings aren't worth the paper they're written on. Fluff pieces pumping teams who've had lots of high picks.....do you really not see the irony?

You couldn't have made a better reply to prove my point than what you did.

Last edited:
Reactions: tantalum

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
and In 2014 those guys were still highly thought of
It doesn't even matter, the guy proved the point I was trying to make. Just listing prospects doesn't mean jack shit.

Prospect ranking lists don't correlate to any future success, and it's just a bunch of guys like us here who try and rank teams. The lists are subjective and really tell you nothing.

I like reading the lists as fodder, but they don't really tell you anything.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
It doesn't even matter, the guy proved the point I was trying to make. Just listing prospects doesn't mean jack ****.

Prospect ranking lists don't correlate to any future success, and it's just a bunch of guys like us here who try and rank teams. The lists are subjective and really tell you nothing.

I like reading the lists as fodder, but they don't really tell you anything.

Oh completely but I bet POM completely ignores all this as he has no rebuttal

Reactions: 420Canuck

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
But even teams not rebuilding turn over a roster over several years. And keep in mind MUCH of the roster turnover you are talking about is veteran players being brought in and underperforming. A very large chunk of the turnover has nothing to do with youth or picks. Parts of those that do are failed reclamation projects where draft pick assets would have been more use now and in the long run.

The prospect pool ranking was based primarily on Pettersson, Hughes, Dahlen, Juolevi and Demko. If you were to redo the prospect pools now after the struggles of Juolevi, Dahlen, Palmu, Lind etc I can almost guarantee it's not in the top 3. Pettersson pick is a good one (clearly). We will see on Hughes. But it has been 5 drafts now and there still isn't much to call up once you get more than one injury deep. And thank god for Pettersson because without him it is quite honestly looking very bleak at this point.

The other issue is that having a top 5 or top 10 prospect pool isn't enough when you are the worst team in the NHL over the last 4 season. You can't just simply have prospects that are as good or as many as several other teams. You need to be head and shoulders above them in terms of quality and quantity to dig yourself out of the organizational hole (and you need to excel at other aspects of management).

The notion that roster turnover automatically equals rebuilding is just blatantly incorrect.

There were 7 players on our roster to start the 13-14 season who finished the 07-08 season. This means that 16/23 roster spots had changed over that 5-year period (roughly the same timeframe as Benning has been in charge) for a 70% roster turnover.

Were we rebuilding during that period? I don’t f***ing think so.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
The notion that roster turnover automatically equals rebuilding is just blatantly incorrect.

There were 7 players on our roster to start the 13-14 season who finished the 07-08 season. This means that 16/23 roster spots had changed over that 5-year period (roughly the same timeframe as Benning has been in charge) for a 70% roster turnover.

Were we rebuilding during that period? I don’t ****ing think so.

Here comes MS to imply that there's zero correlation between rebuilding and roster turnover. :facepalm:

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

Call it a combination of being generous or not having much faith in his stock to begin with. First year in North America finish with an N/A rating because he barely played. If he was a mid-late 1st rounder and you didn't have expectations of him being the best dman in the draft that's a fairly neutral season.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Why did you stop reading after that? Griffin Reinhart was two drafts removed from going 4th overall, Ryan Strome 3 years from going 5th overall.....you stopped reading at a perfect place to prove my point. These rankings aren't worth the paper they're written on. Fluff pieces pumping teams who've had lots of high picks.....do you really not see the irony?

Ok...If all these rankings are a joke..Why dont you tell us all where the Canucks prospect pool will rank?..and we're its all at?

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Here comes MS to imply that there's zero correlation between rebuilding and roster turnover. :facepalm:

Literally every team has significant (likely more than 35%) roster turnover in a multi-year sample size. This is how the salary cap works.

If anything it's been kind of weird how attached we've been to random loads of nothingness like Granlund.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
The Blackhawks had quite a bit on roster turnover between the years they won their cups. Were they rebuilding then?

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Well by my count only 10 of the 33 players that played a game for Tampa bay in 2014/15 played a game for theM this year.

That would equate to a turnover of 66% roughly since 2014/2015 which is in line with what the canucks have and I don’t think Tampa bay has been rebuilding over that time period

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
You honestly have to ask the question, does POM even believe what he writes?

He literally never posts a single thing on here that isn’t about Jim Benning. You can remove all of my Benning posts and I still have thousands of posts about other things.

Does that answer your question?

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
He literally never posts a single thing on here that isn’t about Jim Benning. You can remove all of my Benning posts and I still have thousands of posts about other things.

Does that answer your question?

Not really. I refuse to fully believe that poster who believes roster turnover automatically equates to rebuilding is genuine.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation

A-hem. Hint #1 right there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad