18/19 MGMT Thread X: This is the song that never ends, it just goes on and on my friends...

Status
Not open for further replies.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
At least he’ll probably give us one or two good years before the contract will start looking little like crap. An improvement of the six million dollar Swede who’s looked like CRAP from day one.
I looked back at the Seguin trade, while we all know Jimbo pushed hard to rid of Seguin, what struck was how desperate he was to re-sign Horton. Boston dodged a bullet there.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
I may have to just quit reading this board. It is literally the same thing over and over again with the same posters. Its maddening.

Reactions: Jay Cee

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Here comes MS to imply that there's zero correlation between rebuilding and roster turnover. :facepalm:
Literally every team has significant (likely more than 35%) roster turnover in a multi-year sample size. This is how the salary cap works.
Even in pre-cap times... here are the main rosters of the 2000 Stanley Cup Champion New Jersey Devils and the 2003 Stanley Cup Champion New Jersey Devils. (In between, they made the finals another time in 2001 and made the playoffs in 2002).

Screen%20Shot%202019-03-13%20at%2012.02.34%20AM_zpss5aycdlj.png

Fully half the roster turned over. Was this a "rebuild" just because there was player movement? Weirdest timing ever if so...

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Ok...If all these rankings are a joke..Why dont you tell us all where the Canucks prospect pool will rank?..and we're its all at?
LOL, an expected response.

Bring something to the table, I beg you. Think for yourself.

If I had to ball park it, the Canucks prospect pool is probably middle of the road. But you still don't see the irony in you dismissing a prospect list from 2014? Like I find it hilarious. I didn't say any lists were a joke....but it seems like maybe now you're realizing that these lists don't mean anything. For the exact reason you stopped reading after the Islanders being #3 in 2014.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Where is the point of reference in ranking prospect pools then.?..genius.....Does one crappy prospect ranking from 2014, mean all subsequent rankings are completely bunk?
All it was is an avenue to show you how much weight you'd like to put into these prospect pool rankings. They should be taken with a grain of salt, but the job this GM has done for 5 years has been so poor it's quite literally the only things his supporters can cling to.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

I know it's John Shannon, but still, pre-emptive sighhhhhhh....

This is absolutely idiotic.

This problem has literally just solved itself. Alex Biega is killing it in 2nd pairing minutes and Luke Schenn is looking really solid on the 3rd pairing.

Both are massive-character guys and great partners/mentors for younger players. These are your Beagle-equivalents and cost us $1.5 million/year *combined*.

To go throwing bigger money at worse players like McQuaid or Lovejoy is just braindead.

These guys have no idea how to use cheap, effective players at the bottom of the roster to leverage more cap space to spend on actual good players.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Biega is not good enough to be an NHL regular. He's good in small sample sizes but give him anything more than 10ish games in a row and he shows you why he was in the AHL for so long.

Schenn looks good but it's a small sample size.

How comfortable are we having Schenn and Biega in the top 6 of our depth chart? What happens when they get injured? What if, God forbid, Edler, Tanev, Schenn, AND Biega are injured at the same time? Congrats Ashton Sautner is on your top pair. It's a disaster waiting to happen.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
This is absolutely idiotic.

This problem has literally just solved itself. Alex Biega is killing it in 2nd pairing minutes and Luke Schenn is looking really solid on the 3rd pairing.

Both are massive-character guys and great partners/mentors for younger players. These are your Beagle-equivalents and cost us $1.5 million/year *combined*.

To go throwing bigger money at worse players like McQuaid or Lovejoy is just braindead.

These guys have no idea how to use cheap, effective players at the bottom of the roster to leverage more cap space to spend on actual good players.

Lol, I just realized he meant on defense. f***, you're right.

I responded to that tweet thinking they meant the "back end" of free agency; ie. ideally signing the Franson/Vanek equivalents that expect $2-3M going into the offseason and end up taking whatever non-PTO contract they're offered in the last week of August. Of course you'd expect a Benning premium, but even if it's a slightly inflated dollar value, it's not the worst idea to sign a Patrick Maroon type that could be useful or flipped.

But yeah, they're probably referring to a player like Lovejoy. Ugh.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Brisebois, Gaudette, Demko, Tryamkin, Forsling.

In his first two drafts Benning drafted 5 NHL players outside of the first round. Yet some people refuse to ADMIT he's an elite drafter.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
All it was is an avenue to show you how much weight you'd like to put into these prospect pool rankings. They should be taken with a grain of salt, but the job this GM has done for 5 years has been so poor it's quite literally the only things his supporters can cling to.

Yes a well 'ranked' prospect pool is always a nice thing to have, but finishing in the basement is always going to give you a huge boost here and at the end of the day what's ultimately important is how well you develop and graduate these prospects - especially ones that aren't lotto picks. You can even further expand the evaluation by looking at how well a teams prospect does at the AHL level, which is generally the next final step non-top prospects before making the NHL.

Either way you look at it, the Canucks haven't done very well in this regard under Benning.

Reactions: 420Canuck

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
LOL, an expected response.

Bring something to the table, I beg you. Think for yourself.

If I had to ball park it, the Canucks prospect pool is probably middle of the road. But you still don't see the irony in you dismissing a prospect list from 2014? Like I find it hilarious. I didn't say any lists were a joke....but it seems like maybe now you're realizing that these lists don't mean anything. For the exact reason you stopped reading after the Islanders being #3 in 2014.
According to you ..the prospect rankings "dont mean anything" (especially ones which propel the Canucks into a good light)...As evidence, you 'bring to the table' one very poorly written Bleacher Report article from 2014,which was clearly written by someone that has no idea (its almost comical to read)...There's no irony, or even a 'gotcha' moment there..If you find that hilarious, then fill your boots.

Its a fact,.. that as of the beginning of this season the Canucks had a top 3 prospect pool..You'll eventually get used to it.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
According to you ..the prospect rankings "dont mean anything" (especially ones which propel the Canucks into a good light)...As evidence, you 'bring to the table' one very poorly written Bleacher Report article from 2014,which was clearly written by someone that has no idea (its almost comical to read)...There's no irony, or even a 'gotcha' moment there..If you find that hilarious, then fill your boots.

Its a fact,.. that as of the beginning of this season the Canucks had a top 3 prospect pool..You'll eventually get used to it.

Still can't point to any specific transactions that show the Canucks are in a rebuild eh?

Reactions: Javaman

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
Brisebois, Gaudette, Demko, Tryamkin, Forsling.

In his first two drafts Benning drafted 5 NHL players outside of the first round. Yet some people refuse to ADMIT he's an elite drafter.
What about the 2016 draft?
Do elite drafters have an entire draft class at the risk of busting? Only lockwood is trending as he should. We had a high pick that year too.

I think if you average out his drafts you'd get like 1-2 nhl players a year which is what most organizations get.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018

I literally googled it and clicked on the first list, I didn't feel like I needed to find any others. I could if you like. Hockey's Future - Fall Team Rankings 2012-13

You might laugh at this one too....Winnipeg is 29th of 30 with Scheifele and Trouba as their top 2. That's a problem with these lists. Just noticed the Islanders were ranked 6th the year before Bleacher Report ranked them 4th.

There is irony, and there is certainly a gotcha moment. You're referring to the list you don't like as comical. It's hilarious. You appeal to the authority of these lists, but only when it supports you, and now you're trying to say that's my position. It is not my position.

Anyways, I'm comfortable with the light this conversation paints me in. You do you.

Last edited:

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I looked back at the Seguin trade, while we all know Jimbo pushed hard to rid of Seguin, what struck was how desperate he was to re-sign Horton. Boston dodged a bullet there.

Really?

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I literally googled it and clicked on the first list, I didn't feel like I needed to find any others. I could if you like.

There is irony, and there is certainly a gotcha moment. You're referring to the list you don't like as comical. It's hilarious. You appeal to the authority of these lists, but only when it supports you, and now you're trying to say that's my position. It is not my position.

Anyways, I'm comfortable with the light this conversation paints me in. You do you.
I dont even have give you lists..there's plenty of media/expert evidence out there that the Canucks (as of the beginning of this season,) have one of the best prospect pools.

You claim it to be "middle of the road"...So I'm guessing around 15th or so....?...Are you comfortable with that?...

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I dont even have give you lists..there's plenty of media/expert evidence out there that the Canucks (as of the beginning of this season,) have one of the best prospect pools.

You claim it to be "middle of the road"...So I'm guessing around 15th or so....?...Are you comfortable with that?...

Still waiting for you to list the transactions Benning has made that suggests he's rebuilding. Why do you keep ignoring this question or refusing to list those transactions?

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018

You've got to write better, I'm not even sure what you're saying here. Media are experts? Pretty sure I've read you discounting many media members insight when it didn't suit your narrative in the past. Take your time, type full sentences, punctuate. You don't need to respond in 30 seconds or less.

Yes, I'm comfortable saying their mid-level.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
You've got to write better, I'm not even sure what you're saying here. Media are experts? Pretty sure I've read you discounting many media members insight when it didn't suit your narrative in the past. Take your time, type full sentences, punctuate. You don't need to respond in 30 seconds or less.

Yes, I'm comfortable saying their mid-level.
Thats all I needed to hear...thanks:thumbu:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->