18/19 MGMT Thread X: This is the song that never ends, it just goes on and on my friends...

Status
Not open for further replies.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
People are still disputing whether Jacob Markstrom is a starter? He's top 20 in SV% of 42 goalies who've played 120 games since 15/16. He's faced the 26th most shots and played the 26th most minutes.

At minimum he's an NHL starter.

And to say he's a different goalie than when he was acquired, duh, Schneider and Luongo are different than when they were traded. Bo Horvat has developed since he was traded also.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
At the end of the day, Benning and his buddies are just awful at pretty much everything that is important in actual management. Sure they've had some good picks in the draft, but that's the bare minimum of what you should expect from 5 years on the job.

When it comes to evaluating pro talent, planning, and roster and cap management, they are just god awful. This goalie situation is a perfect example, just zero semblance of foresight for such a mundane task, instead of being proactive they waited too long. And this isn't a one off either.

Do they expect us to have faith in their ability to have a coherent vision for the team 3-4 years down the line when they seemingly can't even formulate a vision for the team 3-4 weeks down the line?

Last edited:

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Oh cool, we would have possibly traded a 2nd or 3rd round pick for a stopgap solution if the draft wasn't in Vancouver this year.

Like why would you say that.....why would say "but the draft is in Vancouver" as an excuse? That directly implies that its the main reason you aren't trading a 2nd round pick for Mika ****ing Noronen.

I actually just can't get over how bad they are at communicating, and how clearly they communicate their every misstep to the public.

Reactions: MisfortuneCookie

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Oh cool, we would have possibly traded a 2nd or 3rd round pick for a stopgap solution if the draft wasn't in Vancouver this year.

Like why would you say that.....why would say "but the draft is in Vancouver" as an excuse? That directly implies that its the main reason you aren't trading a 2nd round pick for Mika ****ing Noronen.

I actually just can't get over how bad they are at communicating, and how clearly they communicate their every misstep to the public.

:laugh:

And people think this is a rebuild.

The only reason Benning hasn't traded away draft picks this year is because the draft is in Vancouver. If it were in New York or Winnipeg he would have traded away his 2 or 3.

What an embarrassment. Anyone who openly defends this moron should be utterly embarrassed.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
People are still disputing whether Jacob Markstrom is a starter? He's top 20 in SV% of 42 goalies who've played 120 games since 15/16. He's faced the 26th most shots and played the 26th most minutes.

And to say he's a different goalie than when he was acquired, duh, Schneider and Luongo are different than when they were traded. Bo Horvat has developed since he was traded also.
Who's disputing he's a starter..?...Thats pretty much a given.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
When it comes to evaluating pro talent, planning, and roster and cap management, they are just god awful. This goalie situation is a perfect example, just zero semblance of foresight for such a mundane task, instead of being proactive they waited too long. And this isn't a one off either.

Do they expect us to have faith in their ability to have a coherent vision for the team 3-4 years down the line when they seemingly can't even formulate a vision for the team 3-4 weeks down the line?
HF alumnus arsmaster made a good analogy, I think:

Criticisms-of-the-criticism so often miss the point as to what gives people problems with their thinking... or lack thereof. Imagine the CEO of a Fortune 500 company, subject to actual competitive pressure, making little oopsies at every turn. Shareholders would never stand for it.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I took your post hoping he'd be a consistent #1 on the last page of the last thread as not thinking he is one. I guess I misunderstood.
I'll say.....I've always been supportive of Markstrom...I asked the poster RandyV if he ever thought that Marky would be a #1..?...He's been with the team for 5 years,..He's 29...He was a major project back when we acquired him, went through waivers, and had to deconstruct and relearn his game in the minors...

He could have easily fallen through the cracks, gone back to Europe etc

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
There is a a long discussion on the goaltending situation on 1040 today. The funniest is where they're trying to figure out what goaltenders Cloutier and Clark recommended that would cost a 2nd round pick. That's like what you pay for a starter! Quite funny.

Botchford: Canucks need to totally rethink and rebuild defensive group

Quite a bit of discussion on the tire-fire defensive unit as well (obvious by the title).

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
There are a few tidbits from the Botchford segment above that definitely deserve some discussion:

1) The Canucks had offers on the table for Sutter and Gudbranson through the summer (known);
2) GMs knew ahead of time "multiple teams" were going to put in claims for McKenna;
3) The Leafs acquired Hutchinson for a 2020 5th rounder despite Florida receiving multiple offers for him (known);
4) They effectively played Gudbranson with Edler at the tail-end of last season to justify the extension;
5) They have committed to giving Edler AND Tanev retirement contracts (?!);
6) If Gubdranson were a UFA this season, they believe he'd be offered 1 year at ~$1M AAV.

Terrifying stuff. And these guys haven't learned a thing.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

I would still like a bigger sample size. Remember those early goals he kept giving up to start the season? Those were real bad. But he has looked real good of late. If he keeps this up and does the same thing next season, I say give him an extension for sure (provided Demko doesn't look like he's on his way to being better than Markstrom).

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
“Taking active steps to justify a move to make it seem less bad” is one they’ve done before... leading to the obvious question, “If they can see it’s bad, why do they do it?”

I think they literally just can’t say no or disappoint a player.

I think they get tunnel vision on certain players who they (for whatever inexplicable reason) have decided are going to be good or should be good and just can't seem to accept when it's not working. Granlund, Sutter, Gudbranson, Pouliot, Vey...it's like they're looking at a receipt for good hockey players and then looking on the ice going: "They're supposed to be good...let's keep watching! Maybe they'll get good soon!" Also maybe they don't understand the sunk cost fallacy, I don't know. Their avatars here certainly don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->