18/19 MGMT thread VIIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I disagree, and my experience has been much different. All you had to do was see our back and forth in the tank thread. When someone is presented with a ton of facts and chooses to ignore them...I don't know what else you want to call them.
Sedins

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Sopey we hardly knew ya...

*but for all of your pining for a lost forum golden age, just remember that these are the good old days ;)

I welcomed him back with open arms and would do it again. but if the forum has advanced to the point where people are more quickly discouraged from that behaviour, then that is fantastic.

Address arguments others make. Show why they are faulty using logic and evidence. Make counter-arguments that don't hinge on a lack of evidence and fallacious reasoning. Or be prepared to face a lot of people telling you why you're wrong.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
I just think any time we lose a forum brother it's kind of a sad day.

Perhaps we could craft a quick elegy for a fallen 'Nucklehead to honor Sopey's passing?

Maybe just throw a little something together on the fly ;)

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
at this rate, might as well rename the thread drop the sopel since this is no longer the management thread.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
It actually dawned on me last night, that, maybe sharing positive opinions on this board isn't actually good for the discussions here. HF Canuck generally seem to be a lot more content when everyone pulls in the same direction and don't allow for conversations to devolve into anything positive. It's unfortunate that you don't feel welcome posting elsewhere, and it's actually a reflection of society as a whole right now. Instead of conversations where diversity of opinions are welcome, people are separating into opposing factions, and only expressing themselves when surrounded by like minded thinkers. This tribalism is now everywhere, from politics, to religion, to sports, to you name it. Jonathan Haidt explains it a lot better than I in his book, 'the coddling of the American mind'.

I have never been one to go to reddit or CDC either to express my views or stay up to date with the team. HF is still, and will continue to be my favourite place to stay informed on the Canucks happenings. But it dawned on me last night that maybe what's best for this place is to give a certain group of fans the one last respite from what they deem, 'unpopular opinion'.

To my albeit, untrained eye, it appears it's going to take a management turnover before this place is ready to get back to where it was 5-10 years ago. There is just too much water under the bridge and emotion attached to the current regime IMO. So until then, I will continue to lurk, enjoy the opinions of many, and pop my head back in, in a year or 2, or if we see Jim Benning get replaced! Enjoyed the debate as usual. Stay safe, and see you in 2020! :thumbu:
See you tommorow

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
"His boss even walks away to see him survive..."? Is this one of the "truths" you speak of? As for your first sentence you do realize that there is a thread devoted to tanking that is strictly off limits to anybody who disagrees with that strategy...

You do realise its there to protect Benningsters from unpleasant opinions, right?

member 290103

It actually dawned on me last night, that, maybe sharing positive opinions on this board isn't actually good for the discussions here. HF Canuck generally seem to be a lot more content when everyone pulls in the same direction and don't allow for conversations to devolve into anything positive. It's unfortunate that you don't feel welcome posting elsewhere, and it's actually a reflection of society as a whole right now. Instead of conversations where diversity of opinions are welcome, people are separating into opposing factions, and only expressing themselves when surrounded by like minded thinkers. This tribalism is now everywhere, from politics, to religion, to sports, to you name it. Jonathan Haidt explains it a lot better than I in his book, 'the coddling of the American mind'.

I have never been one to go to reddit or CDC either to express my views or stay up to date with the team. HF is still, and will continue to be my favourite place to stay informed on the Canucks happenings. But it dawned on me last night that maybe what's best for this place is to give a certain group of fans the one last respite from what they deem, 'unpopular opinion'.

To my albeit, untrained eye, it appears it's going to take a management turnover before this place is ready to get back to where it was 5-10 years ago. There is just too much water under the bridge and emotion attached to the current regime IMO. So until then, I will continue to lurk, enjoy the opinions of many, and pop my head back in, in a year or 2, or if we see Jim Benning get replaced! Enjoyed the debate as usual. Stay safe, and see you in 2020! :thumbu:

I don't know, this seems pretty dramatic for a f***ing hockey message board.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
You're right in saying that Reddit and CDC do not reflect the general sentiment here. Everyone knows this. However, I would caution you in perceiving this as a restriction on the diversity of opinion. It's actually the opposite. I can't go onto Reddit and CDC and consistently put forth a negative opinion and hope to stick around. Here, there is nothing stopping you from being consistently positive. You may not find agreement, but that doesn't prevent you from at least sharing said opinion. That's the difference.

What's preventing you from putting forth a negative opinion and hope to stick around on other sites other than you don't like it? I do not post on Reddit or CDC, but do you get banned by virtue of having a positive opinion?

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
I just think any time we lose a forum brother it's kind of a sad day.

Perhaps we could craft a quick elegy for a fallen 'Nucklehead to honor Sopey's passing?

Maybe just throw a little something together on the fly ;)
moine.gif

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
It doesn't seem to occur to people that defending the current management group is actually difficult. They aren't good at their jobs. So obviously you're going to get a lot of push back. Especially on this board where we have a wealth of statistically oriented individuals who actually follow the game in great detail. You're not among people who think blindly cheering for an organization regardless of quality of management, or direction, makes you a "true fan."

So yes, of course it's difficult to argue in favor of a management group that's generated some of the worst results in the league over the past four years despite trying to compete. I'm still not sure how that's hard to understand.
Disagree..this is a team on the ascendant..no doubt about that (according to nearly all media sources)...The more the team improves, the more secure GM Benning is in his job...and the more secure in what I have to say..

Its not difficult to defend this team at all (unless you are in the 30 people HFVan negative bubble)..They are already punching above their weight and have been commended for it..The team is fun to watch ,and peeps are buying in...Bad news for the long time negative posters....(not seeing too many empty seats lately are we?).

Last edited:
Reactions: Numba9

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
Disagree..this is a team on the ascendant..no doubt about that (according to nearly all media sources)...The more the team improves, the more secure GM Benning is in his job.

Its not difficult to defend this team at all..They are already punching above their weight and have been commended for it..The team is fun to watch ,and peeps are buying in...Bad news for the long time negative posters....(not seeing too many empty seats lately are we?).
I agree that things are looking better than last year but surely you must know That it's not super hard to be on the ascent when we were statistically one of the worst teams if not the worst team in the last few years.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I agree that things are looking better than last year but surely you must know That it's not super hard to be on the ascent when we were statistically one of the worst teams if not the worst team in the last few years.
Are you fixated on the the last few years?

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
Are you fixated on the the last few years?

Look at the standings..(are we not supposed to be bottom 5 consensus..?..tire fire?)

I still don't understand your point about the inquiry about if I was fixated on the last few years. Are you disagreeing with my original comment?

We're 4 points from being a bottom five team in the league... Are you saying the four points are the difference between us being considered a tire fire and not a tire fire?

Reactions: Canucks5551

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I still don't understand your point about the inquiry about if I was fixated on the last few years. Are you disagreeing with my original comment?

We're 4 points from being a bottom five team in the league... Are you saying the four points are the difference between us being considered a tire fire and not a tire fire?
Along with 7 other teams in the western Conference...are you really trying way too hard to say 'we suck'?...(you're obviously in the tank thread)

Last edited:

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011

Along with 7 other teams in the western Conference...are you really trying way too hard to say 'we suck'?

I don't know where you are going with this and I don't believe I'm fixated by the past but if you're going to bring up the teams ascension then you have to look at the past, don't you? It's kind of the reference point for the topic wouldn't you agree?

I stated there has been an improvement this year relative to previous years. However, the bar to surpass for an improvement to be considered is still very low. I never mentioned anything about expectation about this team going into this year which is something you brought up. Then you bring up the fact that we're supposed to be a tire fire with a reference to being bottom five. I'm just saying four points from the bottom five means that it's a real possibility of dropping into the bottom five and being considered a 'tire fire'.

I'll ask you again. We're 4 points from being a bottom five team in the league... Are you saying the four points are the difference between us being considered a tire fire and not a tire fire? I have no clue what the criteria is for being considered a tire fire team.

I do think we are a crap team and I think all 7 of those Western Conference teams are also crap (Hawks, Avs, Ducks, Kings, Oilers, Arizona, idk which mystery 7th western conference team is within a four point range of being bottom five or in the bottom five). We're neither a contender nor a playoff team this year. Are you really trying too hard to say 'we're good'?

Reactions: geebaan

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
What's preventing you from putting forth a negative opinion and hope to stick around on other sites other than you don't like it? I do not post on Reddit or CDC, but do you get banned by virtue of having a positive opinion?

Canuck fans downvote you on Reddit for posting a negative take. Downvoting means other people dont see the post at all.

CDC bans people who dont support the management.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I don't know where you are going with this and I don't believe I'm fixated by the past but if you're going to bring up the teams ascension then you have to look at the past, don't you? It's kind of the reference point for the topic wouldn't you agree?

I stated there has been an improvement this year relative to previous years. However, the bar to surpass for an improvement to be considered is still very low. I never mentioned anything about expectation about this team going into this year which is something you brought up. Then you bring up the fact that we're supposed to be a tire fire with a reference to being bottom five. I'm just saying four points from the bottom five means that it's a real possibility of dropping into the bottom five and being considered a 'tire fire'.

I'll ask you again. We're 4 points from being a bottom five team in the league... Are you saying the four points are the difference between us being considered a tire fire and not a tire fire? I have no clue what the criteria is for being considered a tire fire team.

I do think we are a crap team and I think all 7 of those Western Conference teams are also crap (Hawks, Avs, Ducks, Kings, Oilers, Arizona, idk which mystery 7th western conference team is within a four point range of being bottom five or in the bottom five). We're neither a contender nor a playoff team this year. Are you really trying too hard to say 'we're good'?
Your on the tank thread...Why don't you just come out and tell us what you really think of the team.? (shit ,or get off the pot)..once and for all...You're always riding the fence.

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
Your on the tank thread...Why don't you just come out and tell us what you really think of the team.? (**** ,or get off the pot)..once and for all...You're always riding the fence.

jeez if you don't wanna answer the questions and discuss things. Just don't hit reply! There's no need to insult me mate.

If you're saying I'm riding the fence as in I'm more moderate than yeah I agree. I don't believe we need to do a full tier down rebuild and sell off every old asset. However, I do think we need to be more proactive in the rebuild. Failing to capitalize on opportunities in the past like Hamhuis was a mistake that I'd like not to be repeated.

Overall, I'd prefer the team tank for this season as we don't have enough assets (elite pieces) to be a true contender. In my opinion, we're missing at least one more defender and a forward as cornerstone pieces. The forward position doesn't matter because we have good centers in Horvat and Pettersson. I fully believe Gaudette is a third line center. If Hughes doesn't pan out, then we need a 2 more elite defenders. I think this year's top prospects in the draft are very very good and would like us to ideally acquire Hughes. For Benning, I'd like him to work harder in acquiring more picks and less reclamation projects via trading. I believe we're only going to fall in the standings without Edler. Our D-core is weak with him and I'd say bottom three without him if not last.

Reactions: geebaan

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
jeez if you don't wanna answer the questions and discuss things. Just don't hit reply! There's no need to insult me mate.

If you're saying I'm riding the fence as in I'm more moderate than yeah I agree. I don't believe we need to do a full tier down rebuild and sell off every old asset. However, I do think we need to be more proactive in the rebuild. Failing to capitalize on opportunities in the past like Hamhuis was a mistake that I'd like not to be repeated.

Overall, I'd prefer the team tank for this season as we don't have enough assets (elite pieces) to be a true contender. In my opinion, we're missing at least one more defender and a forward as cornerstone pieces. The forward position doesn't matter because we have good centers in Horvat and Pettersson. I fully believe Gaudette is a third line center. If Hughes doesn't pan out, then we need a 2 more elite defenders. I think this year's top prospects in the draft are very very good and would like us to ideally acquire Hughes. For Benning, I'd like him to work harder in acquiring more picks and less reclamation projects via trading. I believe we're only going to fall in the standings without Edler. Our D-core is weak with him and I'd say bottom three without him if not last.
I'm not trying to insult you, ..and i agree that the Hamhius deal was a management f*** up..and the team needs an all round improvement...I disagree though, that your purely looking at the standings, and not looking at what this young group has accomplished.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad