Prospect Info: 17th Overall Dante Fabbro

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
I'm confident that he signs, but there are enough factors in play to suggest he might not to make me nervous too. If Fabbro pulls a Vesey, how ridiculous would Poile look?

Having said that, seeing that there are also good indicators that he will sign, he could be a player that helps repair any damage that Vesey did in regards to how prospects view Nashville. Not saying Vesey did any damage, but you never know how a 17-18 year old kid sees the situation.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I don't think prospects look at the Vesey situation and think, " what's wrong with Nashville? " . I think they look at it as a guy who had a chance to determine his own situation and took advantage of it. Nashville isn't the only team it's happened to, and at least one did the same to Chicago.

jusu11

Jun 27, 2012
Happy with Fabbro! Would have been interesting to see if Poile would have drafted him over Chychrun. The only thing that bothers me is that Fabbro, Dougherty and Carrier all shoot from right. Well we need another defenseman in this draft anyway so then it might be a turn for a leftie.

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
Happy with Fabbro! Would have been interesting to see if Poile would have drafted him over Chychrun. The only thing that bothers me is that Fabbro, Dougherty and Carrier all shoot from right. Well we need another defenseman in this draft anyway so then it might be a turn for a leftie.

Never hurts to have some right shot defensemen in the pipeline. Lefties are much more common anyways.

Speaking of lefties, Moverare or Day would be nice pick ups in the 3rd if they're still available.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
I don't think prospects look at the Vesey situation and think, " what's wrong with Nashville? " . I think they look at it as a guy who had a chance to determine his own situation and took advantage of it. Nashville isn't the only team it's happened to, and at least one did the same to Chicago.

I'm just saying you never know how a kid sees things, or what ideas some hack agent is putting in his ear. Things that make sense to normal people don't always happen in the world if entitled teens looking for a big pay day

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
I'm all about BPA and I believe we got that. Throw in that he's a D which we desperately need and I love the pick.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
I still can't believe the awful trade Zona made. That was a very real example of old age and experience trumping youth and skill.

Still, Fabbro is a good pick. I hope he becomes a Krug like d man for us like I've seen scouts compare him to. I've seen a lot of people say he doesn't have top pairing potential but will round as a very good second pairing d man like Tyson Barrie.

Overall, a safe pick I am fine with this morning. I was very high on Bellows and while I am disappointed we didn't draft him, I think Fabbro is a good pick

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Excited with the pick! The best thing is that we are pretty stacked on D for like 5-6 yrs so we don't even need him to have top-pairing or top-4 potential. Top 6 will be just fine for us.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
He seems like the perfect fit for this team. He was one of the top 5 defenseman on all lists. I saw him as high as 2. He seems to have it all, and how often do we see the Nashville fandom and ties to TN.

I am already really pulling for this guy!

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
I think that the direction where the league is going, you're gonna need more speed, and puck-control not that much size. That's gonna be in the past. Look at Pittsburgh, they won the Cup with speed. Kessel, Crosby, Letang, Bonino, Hagelin etc. not huge guys.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Still a very small D. They typically look good at junior hockey. If he puts on 20 pounds, he'll probably play at 205. The NHL has 215-230 pound wingers not 175 pound juniors. He better be really quick or he'll get beat to death. In addition, going to college in Boston all he'll hear for 3 or 4 years is become a free agent, sign with Boston, play in the East against real hockey teams, Nashville is a hick town not a hockey town, etc., etc. I believe there's only about a 50-50 chance he'll ever play in the NHL; maybe 60-40 that he'll become a free agent. Marginal pick at best. But I wish him well, Preds will need D in 3 or 4 years.

I say 0% chance. Shea Weber has been his favorite player growing up and he wanted to model his playing style after him. Nashville was his favorite team growing up. Why on earth would he turn down a chance to play for his favorite team? Plus he is familiar with the area due to his sisters going to school in Middle Tennessee at Austin Peay. Yes they may graduate before he gets to this level, but I'd say this helps us.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Fabbro was such a good pick!! The more I think about it I am just so thrilled we got him!

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Still a very small D. They typically look good at junior hockey. If he puts on 20 pounds, he'll probably play at 205. The NHL has 215-230 pound wingers not 175 pound juniors. He better be really quick or he'll get beat to death. In addition, going to college in Boston all he'll hear for 3 or 4 years is become a free agent, sign with Boston, play in the East against real hockey teams, Nashville is a hick town not a hockey town, etc., etc. I believe there's only about a 50-50 chance he'll ever play in the NHL; maybe 60-40 that he'll become a free agent. Marginal pick at best. But I wish him well, Preds will need D in 3 or 4 years.

The league is trending smaller and smaller, most teams have only 2-3 players over 220 and 5-7 in the 210-220 range. About a third of the league is under 200 lbs.

dougie1107

Jul 6, 2012
Memphis
I wanted Bellows, but I am still very happy with this pick. I am maybe just a tad wary of him being a BCHL guy, but he also killed it at U18s, so he's shown he can play well against the other high caliber players of his draft class. I think he's going to do really well at BU, and later on, in Nashville.

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
If you prefer your highlights with commentators over music:

Includes his entire BCHL season as well. I have a FastHockey subscription which not a lot of people seem to have.

Nothing Is New

Sep 26, 2011
Thanks Killem. Nice one timer. Evidently kid is hungy offensively. Fits the post Trotz Preds well. Good pick. BPA at position we needed.

KreamofAskarov

Here for fun
Dec 26, 2010
Canada
Love this pick, this is who I was rooting for (I know, easy to say now after its done). Now to sign a good FA LW and somehow get rid of Ribeiro and I'm super happy with the team.

I know Fabbro said that Nashville was his favorite team but other posters are saying other teams? Did anyone see anything about that?

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Love this pick, this is who I was rooting for (I know, easy to say now after its done). Now to sign a good FA LW and somehow get rid of Ribeiro and I'm super happy with the team.

I know Fabbro said that Nashville was his favorite team but other posters are saying other teams? Did anyone see anything about that?
All I know is he's said he grew up loving the Preds and that Weber is his favorite player.

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN
I wanted Gauthier at this pick and was almost positive we were going to take him, so I'd be lying if I was underwhelmed and not disappointed when I saw us take Fabbro.

I heard a comparison between him and Travis Hamonic, so if he turns out anything like him, I'll be stoked. But I will say I wanted to take a big power forward with great goal scoring ability, but hindsight being 20/20 and seeing how the draft went, a la many defensemen taken, I am not too surprised they went with Fabbro here.

Best of luck to his development and hopefully we see him sooner than later.

KurtAngle

Mar 31, 2016
All I know is he's said he grew up loving the Preds and that Weber is his favorite player.

I think that sounds nice and all, but from nearly every case I have noticed, money talks way more than anything else.

Nashville fans seem to think NHL players are going to come here because we are all so nicey nice and "Hey, it's Nashville!" I think that is nice, but when it comes down to it, money talks. Suter, Vesey, and even Weber trying to leave years ago.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad