Prospect Info: 17th Overall Dante Fabbro

GoldOnGold

Mar 27, 2016
Nashville, Tennessee
McKenzie says Fabbro intending to go pro and sign-

3:42 in this video:

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/insider-trading-are-leafs-trying-to-make-a-deal-with-canes~1606557

Transcript:

"Couple of NCAA stars looking to leave and head to the NHL sooner rather than later?"

McKenzie: "(Some stuff about Quinn Hughes)...the other one, 2016 1st rounder Dante Fabbro, Nashville's 1st rounder from 2016, he's a junior at Boston University and the expectation is that he too would like to turn pro, that gives a depth option for Nashville on the blueline or a potential trade chip as they start to talk about all these rentals."

Reactions: King Weber

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
My guess is if Poile knows he will sign he won't trade him and could possibly be the reason he finally waived 2Bit.

Also going to refrain from talking crap in that stupid Vancouver thread on the trade boards.

Last edited:

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
I would rather trade fabbro then tolvanen. Tolvanen is at least under contract whereas fabbro could vesey on us. Both would hold roughly same value or is one of the two worth more?

We are a lot deeper at defense than forwards in NHL as well...

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
I would rather trade fabbro then tolvanen. Tolvanen is at least under contract whereas fabbro could vesey on us. Both would hold roughly same value or is one of the two worth more?

He could vesey on anyone.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville

Which makes it hard to trade him. Say Poile trades him to Ottawa for Stone. He doesn’t like the idea of playing in Ottawa he decides to finish out his career at BU and go UFA. Ottawa gets a 2nd round pick in 2021. Ottawa isn’t going to risk only getting a 2nd round pick out of the deal.

My gut tells me that he will sign in Nashville given it’s his favorite team and his sisters connection with the city. It’s not a Vesey situation at all. I was worried at first but I am pretty positive (95%) he is going to sign here. I would worry about other college kids like Mismash or Harper over him.

Anyway he is a stop gap for Seattle expansion. If he becomes another Jon Blum, then no biggie we protect the big 4 and continue on, but if he becomes a legitimate top 4 guy, then it’s easier to say goodbye to a Ellis or Subban.
He is actually a more valuable asset than Tolvanen.

Last edited:

GoldOnGold

Mar 27, 2016
Nashville, Tennessee

Bob McKenzie did say he was planning to sign with us

And the relative age of our d-men versus our top-6 forwards makes Fabbro more important than Tolvanen IMO

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Considering the mumblings that have come out recently, I'm not all that worried about him not signing atm.

Not to mention Fabbro's development is more important imo. If he does well he gives us options we simply won't have if we trade him.

Reactions: Bringer of Jollity

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
Anyway he is a stop gap for Seattle expansion. If he becomes another Jon Blum, then no biggie we protect the big 4 and continue on, but if he becomes a legitimate top 4 guy, then it’s easier to say goodbye to a Ellis or Subban.
He is actually a more valuable asset than Tolvanen.
I'm envisioning a d corps of
Josi - Fabbro
Ekholm - Ellis

Fabbro is valuable to us, but because he can just walk if we trade him somewhere he doesn't want to be, he's a gamble for anyone looking to trade for him. Especially as it seems he wants to go pro and wants to do it in Nashville.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I dont think Poile will trade him unless he thinks he won't sign. We have no one in the system to move up other than him. Same could be said about Tolvanen, but Dmen generally are harder to find and take longer to develop.

Reactions: Scoresberg

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I'm envisioning a d corps of
Josi - Fabbro
Ekholm - Ellis

Fabbro is valuable to us, but because he can just walk if we trade him somewhere he doesn't want to be, he's a gamble for anyone looking to trade for him. Especially as it seems he wants to go pro and wants to do it in Nashville.
I'm betting Allard gets into the mix.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017

Not me. I would rather trade Tolvanen at this point... because the only way I trade either one of them is to land a big-name top-6 forward who I have complete confidence in being able to re-sign long-term. And that basically fills Tolvanen's projected spot on the roster anyway. Whereas our D looks like it will need a new top-4 RHD in the not-too-distant-future (max timeframe Seattle).

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I think Fabbro is going to stay. He'll either be expansion bait, or he'll replace Ellis/Subban if/when we trade them.
I really like our top 4 and have always been an advocate of not breaking the defensive group up, but I am firmly in support of exploring the latter point, especially if we can get some younger assets out of it. The dynamic needs to change, whether that is personnel changes, coaching...something. Though next year we could see them all back to form and think this was all a bad dream.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
I really like our top 4 and have always been an advocate of not breaking the defensive group up, but I am firmly in support of exploring the latter point, especially if we can get some younger assets out of it. The dynamic needs to change, whether that is personnel changes, coaching...something. Though next year we could see them all back to form and think this was all a bad dream.

That's the thing, we've seen how good those guys can be. If Subban plays in the playoffs as well as he has in the past do we believe that he's worth 9M just for a mediocre regular season and an elite playoff?

It would suck to lose Subban, he's been our first "superstar" and definitely the best personality we've ever had, but I think we can convince some teams to offer up a lot for him. We don't need 4 no.1 defensemen to be successful; if we can get a solid no.4 for insurance while waiting for Fabbro and a top forward prospect and/or high pick it would help a lot with restocking our prospect pool and keeping our window open.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Can we proceed as is and just see how the playoffs shake out?

Explore moving Subban in the offseason if needed.

Assume we will have Fabbro and Tolvanen in partial roles next year

Push for Duchene

Explore moving Turris if we sign Duchene

Is this unrealistic?

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN

Push for Duchene

Is this unrealistic?

It's the unpopular long view approach. Could strike Gold in the playoffs, could smolder in the 1st or 2nd. I feel like the more and more Poile leverages the future it's going to open up the door for a complete collapse unless he can find a way to flip some of our (eventually) aging assets for picks/prospects before they completely lose all value. I want a Cup but not if the cost is an eventual several years of absolute disaster hockey.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
That's two years from now. A lot can happen.
Exactly. Last year Subban was a Norris finalist and we were all fretting about Ellis re-signing, and by September we thought the D was set. Now some months later cracks have appeared. But who knows what things will look like in a few more months, or a year. Neither of them are super-old. Subban looks super-old this season. But until we know more (something, anything!) about the nature of his injury/health troubles I don't know that we can be 100% sure he won't get it back together. Or one of the other guys could blow out his knee and be gone. Or get in a fight with his SO and enter re-hab, who knows. :(

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
That's the thing, we've seen how good those guys can be. If Subban plays in the playoffs as well as he has in the past do we believe that he's worth 9M just for a mediocre regular season and an elite playoff?

It would suck to lose Subban, he's been our first "superstar" and definitely the best personality we've ever had, but I think we can convince some teams to offer up a lot for him. We don't need 4 no.1 defensemen to be successful; if we can get a solid no.4 for insurance while waiting for Fabbro and a top forward prospect and/or high pick it would help a lot with restocking our prospect pool and keeping our window open.

How dare you take that title from Paul Kariya and Shea Weber.
Subban is third ;)

predhead1

Aug 7, 2003

Push for Duchene

Is this unrealistic?

The biggest problem with Subban is that he's among the highest paid players in the league, but isn't playing anywhere remotely close to being one of the best players in the league. I think it's going to be tough to find suitors for him unless we agree to retain some of his contract, which is less than ideal.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
The biggest problem with Subban is that he's among the highest paid players in the league, but isn't playing anywhere remotely close to being one of the best players in the league. I think it's going to be tough to find suitors for him unless we agree to retain some of his contract, which is less than ideal.
Exactly. I mean, we still need to monitor how things unfold. But in a lot of cases once you "commit" to actively trying to trade a player, the cat is pretty much out of the bag. Right now, or over this summer if the rest of the season proceeds on the same path for Subban, you'd be stuck in a sell-low spot at best. Who knows, but it's definitely not something you want to advertise. As much as Poile may keep things close, some other GMs do not, and before you know it the rumor mill would be spinning. Better to let teams come to you. They know we have good D and Seattle is coming. It's better if they come up with the idea themselves.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN

This really only matters if you're in a salary bind. Subban brings off the ice opportunities and for those who run the business side of a franchise that will also be considered a factor in his salary. He is relatively unique in this regard since most hockey players are completely unmarketable other than their inanimate face and name.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
I don't think PK is difficult to move at all. You may not get a haul for him but he is far far from a negative asset. He's still a top 15-20 Dman and has been even better in the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad