Prospect Info: 17th Overall Dante Fabbro

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
I think that sounds nice and all, but from nearly every case I have noticed, money talks way more than anything else.

Nashville fans seem to think NHL players are going to come here because we are all so nicey nice and "Hey, it's Nashville!" I think that is nice, but when it comes down to it, money talks. Suter, Vesey, and even Weber trying to leave years ago.

that's 100% non factual

Suter could have had the same money here as he got in MN. He lefty to be closer to home.

Vesey is on an ELC so he would have got the same money here that he is going to get anywhere else, plus he could have burned a year of his ELC here in the playoffs, and thus reached free agency sooner, so money was not the issue there. he left because he wants to pick where he plays, not because he can get more money elsewhere

Wber used the RFA /offer sheet process to ensure that he was receiving the absolute maximum dollars, whether it was here or somewhere else. So yes, in Weber's case, it was about money, but since Nashville agreed to pay the money, he was agreeable to remain here.

KurtAngle

Mar 31, 2016
Another thing, the draft choice is fine.

But, still, it's not helping the fan base much. You mention Preds drafting another D man in the first round and the first thing you hear is "Again?" from most.

I know you hardcores and the "Poile can do no wrong" types will throw mud at me, but it's just yet another solid, safe Poile choice. We just keep buying the Preds line and parroting his "Hey, we needed more D men in the system."

This team needs to draft some OFFENSE for once. Why is it always taking a chance on a smallish dman and hoping he fills out after 4 or 5 years?

PredsV82

Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box

But, still, it's not helping the fan base much. You mention Preds drafting another D man in the first round and the first thing you hear is "Again?" from most.

I know you hardcores and the "Poile can do no wrong" types will throw mud at me, but it's just yet another solid, safe Poile choice. We just keep buying the Preds line and parroting his "Hey, we needed more D men in the system."

This team needs to draft some OFFENSE for once. Why is it always taking a chance on a smallish dman and hoping he fills out after 4 or 5 years?

the fan base wont give two craps who we drafted at 17 once the season starts.

winning is what excites a fan base. we had a very good year last year. people will be excited about this team when the puck drops in October.

NSH615

Sponsor
Feb 13, 2013
I think that sounds nice and all, but from nearly every case I have noticed, money talks way more than anything else.

Nashville fans seem to think NHL players are going to come here because we are all so nicey nice and "Hey, it's Nashville!" I think that is nice, but when it comes down to it, money talks. Suter, Vesey, and even Weber trying to leave years ago.

In addition to what PredsV82 said, most of us do not think players will come here just because "Hey it's Nashville!". Also money is only about 1/3 of the actual equation. Usually Location + Recent Performance History of a franchise are what typically drive players to sign places. If money talked then most players would want to sign only in Montreal/Toronto/NY Rangers/Chicago/Boston, but the reality is if a team has had recent success, they will go there and even take a pay cut compared to the richer teams sometimes. There is a reason that the current No Trade lists include basically all Canadian teams, because they are trending downward.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN

What choices do they have? Select from either goalies, forwards or defensemen. More often than not you're not going to choose a goalie in the first round so that leaves forward or defense.

At the end of the day you take the BPA. We have drafted a ton of forwards over the last 2 or 3 seasons and should be seeing the fruits of those drafts within the next season or two. Guys who get drafted are 3 -5 years away from being in the NHL. That's just the reality of it. Taking a kid with his size and ability may be safe but if he reaches his upside, he could be a top pairing guy for us so I don't see that as a safe pick, I see it as a smart pick.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009

the fan base wont give two craps who we drafted at 17 once the season starts.

winning is what excites a fan base. we had a very good year last year. people will be excited about this team when the puck drops in October.

Absolutely. Fabbro could be a center...would it matter?

Honestly, Angle, the timing of your post is just wrong. The Preds are coming off their most successful season (at the gate and on the ice) ever. They just signed their young star to a six year deal. Debating that drafting a defenseman at 17 is going to alienate the fanbase just isn't correct IMO.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty

Look at the draft last year. We also took Fiala in the 1st.

Edit: also it is possible to see who we have in our D system. So why don't you tell us which one projects to be a top 4 in 3 years when we need them???

Last edited by a moderator:

TitansVolsPreds615

Feb 19, 2015

We have NO defensive depth. Why in the world would we continue to draft forwards when we have far more F prospects?

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Look at the draft last year. We also took Fiala in the 1st.

Edit: also it is possible to see who we have in our D system. So why don't you tell us which one projects to be a top 4 in 3 years when we need them???
That was actually the 2014 draft, we didn't have a pick last year.

The point is, Poile usually drafts the safe pick. We heard that a lot when we drafted Hartnell, Upshall and Watson.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com

Why is literally everything you post condescending and pedantic? This isn't Preds Facebook. The people that post here are knowledgeable and realistic. No one is buying the Preds "line" -- I had my credentials stripped because the team's PR didn't care for how little I thought of the "line" in my writing.

No one cares about the optics. The team has high end forwards in the pipeline -- Fiala, Kamenev, Trenin, Richard...to a lesser extent Novak, Kirkland, Aberg. The team had exactly two prospects with NHL potential at D -- Jack Dougherty and Alexandre Carrier. Fabbro was the consensus BPA, and guess what, he filled a need too. So long term, the organization probably cares very little about "Again?" from fringe fans. The die hards...and I interact with plenty here and on Twitter, as well as in real life...know that this was a good pick on a lot of levels.

And as stated, none of the examples of "players that want to leave for more money" actually left for "more money," but that's already been pointed out. And aren't you the one that typically only posts to tell everyone to get over Vesey, yet here you are bringing him up again?

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
Why is literally everything you post condescending and pedantic? This isn't Preds Facebook. The people that post here are knowledgeable and realistic. No one is buying the Preds "line" -- I had my credentials stripped because the team's PR didn't care for how little I thought of the "line" in my writing.

No one cares about the optics. The team has high end forwards in the pipeline -- Fiala, Kamenev, Trenin, Richard...to a lesser extent Novak, Kirkland, Aberg. The team had exactly two prospects with NHL potential at D -- Jack Dougherty and Alexandre Carrier. Fabbro was the consensus BPA, and guess what, he filled a need too. So long term, the organization probably cares very little about "Again?" from fringe fans. The die hards...and I interact with plenty here and on Twitter, as well as in real life...know that this was a good pick on a lot of levels.

And as stated, none of the examples of "players that want to leave for more money" actually left for "more money," but that's already been pointed out. And aren't you the one that typically only posts to tell everyone to get over Vesey, yet here you are bringing him up again?

Boom. :yo: Well said.

While Fabbro, was not my best player available (that was Bellows, who I think is James Neal in three years), I understand the pick. It was a predictable and it filled a need. Fabbro wanted to be here. It made sense.

I really dislike the Girard pick, which I think is fair, because there were a lot of players I had higher on my list than him. It's a personal preference.

You and I have had great conversations on twitter, but we don't always agree. Just because we don't always agree, doesn't mean we are condescending towards each other. Wish more people understood that.

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN
while I agree we needed to restock our d pipeline, we also have drafted safely on the forward side. Yes, we have a plethora of forwards in the pipe, but most are smaller. I don't think you have to draft someone based on size but with out 1st this year, I would have rather seen us go with Gauthier or Rubtsov and then fill the d with later picks.

We're typically very good in turning defensmen with later picks into gold. I'm not saying that drafting Fabbro in the 1st means he's not going to turn out, in fact I hope he does, sooner than later, but I would have liked to have seen a kid that has been lifting weights since he was 9 and IS grown into his body be drafted at our spot. I think Gauthier is going to be a great pick for Carolina.

With that said, I'm a little more happy with the Fabbro pick than I was originally at the time of the draft, but I still would have liked to see a forward chosen in the 1st round and then hell, I wouldn't have cared if we spent the next 7 on defenseman.

I think the gem of the draft is Allard, for what it's worth. Might come back to bite me but you heard it here first ha! All in all, I trust Poile, but he does tend to play it too safe sometimes.

jwhouk

Former Cheesehead, Always a Preds Fan
Apr 19, 2004
Valley of the Sun
jwhouk.net

Cold Chickory lives.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Fabbro favourite player was Shea Weber. He doesn't even get one training camp with him...
Hopefully this doesn't upset him and make him go vesey because I like Fabbro.

PredsV82

Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Fabbro favourite player was Shea Weber. He doesn't even get one training camp with him...
Hopefully this doesn't upset him and make him go vesey because I like Fabbro.

if it does that because of one player then he's an immature head case/stalker not a professional hockey player.

Reactions: Tex76

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
I'm going to bump this up because BU plays in the Hockey East tournament vs. UConn on the 9th. BU is 1-1-1 vs UCONN this year and needs to win the Hockey East to make the NCAA's. I could see him as another black ace like Tolvanen. At minimum, he would give the RHD more depth.

Reactions: AtlantaWhaler

PredsV82

Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
I'm going to bump this up because BU plays in the Hockey East tournament vs. UConn on the 9th. BU is 1-1-1 vs UCONN this year and needs to win the Hockey East to make the NCAA's. I could see him as another black ace like Tolvanen. At minimum, he would give the RHD more depth.

Only gonna happen if the team thinks he's ready for the AHL next year. Once he signs he can't go back to college if it turns out he's not ready to be a pro.

wadesworld

Jan 24, 2011
Nashville, TN

Revisiting this post.

I think you can see now why you take the Best Player Available. Seth Jones and Sam Girard, neither of whom the Preds were in great need of, have turned into Ryan Johansen and Kyle Turris, two centers whom we were in desperate need of, and who are likely to keep this team competitive for another 5 years at least.

Of course it also requires a GM who is capable of seeing the big picture and making shrewd moves with his assets. Fortunately, the Preds have that in Poile.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville

This post aged horribly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->