Prospect Info: 17-18 Blues Top Prospect #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Walman all day, but Barb is a close #3 IMO.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
I was pretty surprised to see Dunn win the last one so handily, and I'd be tempted to say that voting Walman #2 here is an example of recency bias were it not for the fact that we've seen even less of Dunn than we have of Barbashev. All the same, I'm voting Barbashev here. He showed me that he can be a valuable addition to our top-6 last year, and I believe that he will be that. I think Walman has the very realistic potential to be the best of all of our defensive prospects (better than Dunn), but top-6 forwards are the area of greater value for us right now, imo. That gives Barbs the edge.

LetsGoBooze

Buium or bust
Jan 16, 2012
Barbs is already in the dance and has been produtive out the gate, he's the easy choice. Looking like others gonna put too much weight on rookie camp/Walman...

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Walman.

Our defense in a year or so should be so ****ing insane it gets me amped.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
I was pretty surprised to see Dunn win the last one so handily, and I'd be tempted to say that voting Walman #2 here is an example of recency bias were it not for the fact that we've seen even less of Dunn than we have of Barbashev. All the same, I'm voting Barbashev here. He showed me that he can be a valuable addition to our top-6 last year, and I believe that he will be that. I think Walman has the very realistic potential to be the best of all of our defensive prospects (better than Dunn), but top-6 forwards are the area of greater value for us right now, imo. That gives Barbs the edge.

I don't think it's recency bias considering the fact that many of us have been very high on Walman for 2+ years now

abel17

May 28, 2009
I know everyone takes into account their own factors for voting but I generally grade 75/25 on upside/floor so Walman takes this somewhat comfortably for me.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
Barbashev.

I understand why Walman is more tantalizing to some people, but he has a lot more to prove. And I'm higher on Barbashev's offensive ability than most Blues fans appear to be.

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013
Barbashev - 21 yrs, 7 mo
Walman - 21 yrs, 5 mo
Thompson - 19 yrs, 8 mo
Kyrou - 19 yr, 2 mo
Kostin - 18 yr, 2 mo
Thomas - 18 yr, 0 mo

I'm not sure who I am voting for here, it's obviously going to be between Barbashev and Walman in practice, and I am considering both. I just want to set the stage for an argument for Kyrou at #4, I guess. He made a major step forward this year. If we redrafted last year, he is no longer second round.

On his draft year, he had a statistically similar year (17-34-51) to Thomas (16-50-66). Both played on good teams their draft year. Kyrou had 3 teammates that jumped right to the NHL (Zacha, Konecny, Chychrun). Last year he played on a much worse team overall, but finished 6th in the OHL in points, and 5th in assists (30-64-94). He didn't have the benefit of being a cog in the machine like Erie and Owen Sound players did. Next highest point total on the team was 58. He clearly drove the offense.

Barbashev locked himself into a safely middle six center, with second line being very realistic. Walman could prove to be right there with Dunn, or even beat him out of camp and be a huge part of success as soon as this year. Kostin slipped due to a bad injury and maybe the Russian factor, otherwise he wouldn't have been there even at 20.

All that said, Kyrou actually is starting to take the look of a true first line prospect, maybe even at center.

Last edited:

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
I voted for Barbashev. Walman - as good as I think he'll be - hasn't even played in the AHL yet. Barbashev has played in the NHL, spent some time on our top line with Schwartz and Tarasenko, and, in my honest opinion, could get even better than he is now.

Walman is definitely third on my list, though, and I'm a huge fan of him.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
I voted for Barbashev. Walman - as good as I think he'll be - hasn't even played in the AHL yet. Barbashev has played in the NHL, spent some time on our top line with Schwartz and Tarasenko, and, in my honest opinion, could get even better than he is now.

Walman is definitely third on my list, though, and I'm a huge fan of him.

Walman joined the Wolves to close out last season and had 2 goals in 7 regular season games and 2 in 8 playoff games.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
I think you can make convincing arguments for a number of different guys, but I'm going with Walman here. I've had him neck and neck with Dunn for a few years now, and he hasn't done anything to temper my enthusiasm over that span.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
Walman, but only because of readiness and proven play do I put him over Kostin. Barb is lower than Kostin, Kyrou, and Thompson when it comes to talent, imo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad