16th Overall - Sonny Milano

Doug19

Oct 14, 2008
Columbus, OH
With the organizational depth that we have, this was a great pick. A lot of risk, but a if it works out we might have the best offensive forward in the draft.

Just kidding, I know nothing about this guy, time to start up youtube.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
How was this kid not a top 10 pick?? Do the 15 other kids have that much more potential??

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
How was this kid not a top 10 pick?? Do the 15 other kids have that much more potential??

Short answer: no. Not at all.

I had Milano at #8 on my list. This kid is electric. And generally when you think "incredible offense", you assume the defensive package might be lacking. That's not the case. His D game isn't any better or worse than most of the guys taken before him (other than Larkin and Bennett). It's not a strength, but it's not an acceptable reason to have him lower on your list, either.

The reason he was ranked in the mid 1st is because WAY too much credit has been given to Jack Eichel. In reality, Milano and Eichel made each other better. Eichel is the better talent, but Milano owes Eichel nothing for the year he had.

It would not shock me one bit for Milano to become the best forward in this draft. Likely? No, probably not. But this is not a player who has a limited ceiling. I was desperately hoping for him to fall to the Flyers, and am quite upset he ended up on a division opponent. At least he's not on the Pens, though. Congrats guys, I think you got a damn good player. Terrific value for #16.

EDIT: Also, this kid goes hard. He loves the game, and he loves having the puck, but more importantly, he hates NOT having the puck. He does what it takes to get it back. That's instant validation that he won't be anything close to a Radulov, Zherdev, or Schremp.

OldGoaltender

Jul 17, 2006
The Triad NC
Short answer: no. Not at all.

I had Milano at #8 on my list. This kid is electric. And generally when you think "incredible offense", you assume the defensive package might be lacking. That's not the case. His D game isn't any better or worse than most of the guys taken before him (other than Larkin and Bennett). It's not a strength, but it's not an acceptable reason to have him lower on your list, either.

The reason he was ranked in the mid 1st is because WAY too much credit has been given to Jack Eichel. In reality, Milano and Eichel made each other better. Eichel is the better talent, but Milano owes Eichel nothing for the year he had.

It would not shock me one bit for Milano to become the best forward in this draft. Likely? No, probably not. But this is not a player who has a limited ceiling. I was desperately hoping for him to fall to the Flyers, and am quite upset he ended up on a division opponent. At least he's not on the Pens, though. Congrats guys, I think you got a damn good player. Terrific value for #16.

EDIT: Also, this kid goes hard. He loves the game, and he loves having the puck, but more importantly, he hates NOT having the puck. He does what it takes to get it back. That's instant validation that he won't be anything close to a Radulov, Zherdev, or Schremp.

Thanks for the info :handclap:

AJ Thelen

Nov 19, 2010
Pontypandy
Congrats! Followed this guy all hear hoping Wild would get him. Develop him well, he is going to be a good one of threated the right way.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
Good thread, thanks.... I think it's a great pick at 16th... but give him time and don't rush him....

Robert, I had to Lol at this. You can always tell the posters that have been CBJ fans since 2000.

I think we can count on JK and JD to properly develop players now. :)

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Robert, I had to Lol at this. You can always tell the posters that have been CBJ fans since 2000.

I think we can count on JK and JD to properly develop players now. :)

I'm guessing the number of prospects we have "rushed" is VERY SMALL. Yet, it gets brought up for almost every prospect we have.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
I'm guessing the number of prospects we have "rushed" is VERY SMALL. Yet, it gets brought up for almost every prospect we have.

It is. I've mentioned multiple times that the only 1st-rounders who went right into the lineup with heavy minutes were Nash and Zherdev, both of whom were NHL-ready at 18.

Picard, Brassard, Klesla, Leclaire...all brought along slowly and "the right way". That they didn't amount to anywhere close to their potential would seem to indicate that they weren't that good of prospects to begin with, and no other team would have been able to get any more out of them than Columbus did. And the fact that so many other players drafted by Columbus during those years didn't amount to anything would seem to indicate the truth of what I say.

It'll never break up the "DAE LE FILATOV??????" jerkfest, but the fact that the information is out there and so easily accessible pushes the person making that assessment into the wrong.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Milano was just on with Maetzold...quick little interview, but said he's committed to BC and will be working on his defense and doing what he needs to do to get NHL ready over the next couple years...

Reactions: CBJSTH

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Milano was just on with Maetzold...quick little interview, but said he's committed to BC and will be working on his defense and doing what he needs to do to get NHL ready over the next couple years...

Thanks

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
To be honest with you... the music of that video

is very appropriate. As a Jackets fan I have been waiting all my life for a Patrick Kane type player. I'm clearly no expert on talent evaluation but I generally can tell when a player has some skill set. He received 4 of 5 on skating? What could he not do well?

I look forward to watching you grow up and become a star Sonny Milano!!

By the way watching him school UM didn't hurt my feelings either.. ha ha

jukkaeemeli

Nov 3, 2011
helsinki
Hi. nhl.com shows some new talents stick tricks. Sonny handle the stick like you play with it. Very nice.
Seen video before, just now get some compared.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad