16th Overall - Sonny Milano

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Also, I actually prefer the lesser games played. Either way is fine. I just like college more, especially for someone who is gifted offensively already.

It's probably better for his all around game. The only thing I think is with the lesser schedule and time around hockey in general is they don't know what to expect when the time comes to play 80 plus games and aren't properly prepared. It appears we have a good one though who puts in lots of time by himself side from the team though which is always a huge bonus and now he just needs to learn he's allowed to shoot forehand too :laugh:

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Also, I actually prefer the lesser games played. Either way is fine. I just like college more, especially for someone who is gifted offensively already.

And hopefully if he goes to BC he'll learn to use the other side of his blade :sarcasm:

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2014/08/04/columbus-first-rounder-milano-confirms-bc-commitment/

In his own words:

According to Milano, who is listed at 5-foot-11 and 183-pounds, the college route will allow him to better develop physically.

“Less games gives you more time to work out,” he said. “You’re playing against older guys. Just BC as well. It’s one of the better colleges in history, Jerry York is a great coach, he knows what he’s doing. It’s the best way to get to the NHL.”

Makes sense

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Now our twitter reports he's going to BC. I think this is set in stone

CBJWhaler

Jan 10, 2013
Livonia, Michigan
Does Plymouth even have that good of a team? Wouldn't it benefit him more to play with a better team/coach at BC, anyways?

Plymouth next year will have a much improved team they have the best goaltending in the OHL and had quite a few players drafted in this years draft. I would love to see Milano come and play in Plymouth I think that it is a much better route to get you ready for the NHL. Plymouth has produce quite a few NHL players (Example: Conn Smythe trophy Winner in this year Finals in Justin Williams and Tyler Seguin just to name a few)

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
To become an NHL player, Milano needs to work on his strength and he needs to improve his play in his own zone and without the puck.

I don't know much about Plymouth, but the problem with the CHL can be that players who are very skilled offensively can play a huge number of minutes with 2-3 games per week and lots of travel. That means they can easily float and cherry pick against the weaker teams and pick up bad habits. A lot of the top teams can play a run & gun style with an overpowering offensive force. Coaches want to win and aren't going to press their offensive stars to play in their own zone with such a demanding schedule. They have grinders to do that. A player like Milano could end up with huge offensive numbers, but not developing as a player and no time to work out and build strength due to the grueling load CHL players have to deal with.

The OHL works more as a development route when players are there for 3-4 years, not stepping in as the star likely after the season has begun.

The major plus for Milano to go to Plymouth is he would be able to take part in the Traverse City tournament and training camp, perhaps get in a few preseason games before heading to the OHL.

Playing in at BC seems to immediately address his two major weaknesses. The problem could be is if he struggles and ends up not getting that much playing time for his freshman year.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Blue Jackets prospect left wing Sonny Milano, the club's No. 16 overall selection in June, suffered multiple facial fractures when he was checked into the boards during Thursday's 6-4 win over Minnesota at the NHL prospects tournament in Traverse City, Mich.

Milano suffered a fractured orbital bone and a fractured cheek, according to Plymouth Whalers director of U.S. scouting Don Harkins.

Harkins said Milano is expected to miss eight weeks.

http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com...4/09/milano-out-two-months-with-injuries.html

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
i'm taking porty's story with a grain of salt...he's not here so not sure where the story came from... (haven't read the post, just his tweets)

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
that's what i meant...the timetable...sorry...yes the face fracture is true...

like i said lol...the 8 weeks that porty originally claimed was BS...he's changed his tune

Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline 7s
Good chat with Sonny Milano this morning. Said he feels like he could play right now, but will miss at least two weeks. #CBJ

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->