16th Overall - Sonny Milano

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I like HF's rating system, though I often disagree with the way its deployed. Milano as a 7.5C makes sense, though I think I'd put him as an 8.0D.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
I like HF's rating system, though I often disagree with the way its deployed. Milano as a 7.5C makes sense, though I think I'd put him as an 8.0D.
Wouldn't 8.0D technically be worse than a 7.5C grade? I'm still a little unfamiliar with the system but I believe it says something about 80% of the grade for C's and 70% for D's which would turn into a 6.0 and a 5.6, respectively. Also, doesn't it make him seem like a true boom or bust prospect with an 8.0D?

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Wouldn't 8.0D technically be worse than a 7.5C grade? I'm still a little unfamiliar with the system but I believe it says something about 80% of the grade for C's and 70% for D's which would turn into a 6.0 and a 5.6, respectively. Also, doesn't it make him seem like a true boom or bust prospect with an 8.0D?

Yes, its a lower rating than a 7.5C, but the boom part makes him more valuable to us because we're going to be well stocked with mid-level players for the foreseeable future. I do think Milano is a true boom or bust prospect.

TheOllieC

cajun filet
Jul 12, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I think 7.5C is certainly fair for Wennberg. He's just a bit below Monahan/Lindholm and the C's who were picked early this year, all of whom received 8.0's.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I re-visited the HF ranking system and checked out the top 25 or so prospects. What struck me as odd was that only 4, I think, guys were ranked as B's- no A's. Kind of makes me wonder if it is really worth much. Lots of 7.5 & 8'S. I get the deflation in the number grade but the letter grade is useless as far as I can tell. Kind of a hedge my bet kind of thing. Guy is a 9 but an E. Looks like Wayne Gretzky but could turn out to be Angelo Esposito.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
I think 7.5C is certainly fair for Wennberg. He's just a bit below Monahan/Lindholm and the C's who were picked early this year, all of whom received 8.0's.
I thought it was fair too until I saw that players such as Taylor Beck, Pontus Aberg, Chris Tierney, Charles Hudon, Mike McCarron, and Josh Leivo are also 7.5C's, while Sebastian Collberg, Danny Kristo, Andre Burakovsky, and Anthony Mantha are all 8.0C's. Of all of those guys, Wennberg, Mantha, and Burakovsky are the best prospects, and deserve the best rankings. I'd probably give Mantha an 8.5D, and Wennberg and Burakovsky an 8.0B/C.

I'm sure the two factors in which Wennberg would be given a higher number are if he played in the CHL rather than Europe, and that it seems that whoever does the ratings for the Jackets is very conservative with them, which I think is a good thing.

But there's no way Wennberg has the same potential as Taylor freakin' Beck. :laugh:

Also, can anybody recall what JAM's rating was when he was here? Because he is a 7.0C right now, which I'm sure most here would think is far too generous.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
Also, can anybody recall what JAM's rating was when he was here? Because he is a 7.0C right now, which I'm sure most here would think is far too generous.
I believe he was fairly close to that, actually. Don't remember for sure, but I think he was ~6.5C while here. Probably gave him a little bit of a bump, if any, after his 3rd consecutive season of producing well in the AHL.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
CBJ Prospects ‏@CBJProspects 11s
RT @coreypronman: Downing sets up Milano for a tap-in goal. Downing has a real shot to make the U20 team.” #CBJ

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
Milano deciding to go to Plymouth of the OHL, rather then going to Boston College?

If you look at Portzline and Mixers' tweets, some guy named Jeff Marek is reporting this. Is this better for Columbus?

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
lol... "sources"

Retweeted by CBJ Prospects
Andrew Weiss ‏@WeissFC 23m
Sonny Milano has not committed to playing in Plymouth. Quite frankly the opposite. Expect him to be at BC in the fall

Jeff Marek @JeffMarek · 2h
Also, look for CBJ 1st rounder Sonny Milano to announce he'll forego playing at Boston College in favour of the Plymouth Whalers of the OHL.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
the next week or so will be fun to see how this plays out

Mike McMahon ‏@MikeMcMahonCHN 35m
The people I've spoken who think Milano is going to Plymouth are just as certain as the people who say he isn't.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
the next week or so will be fun to see how this plays out

Mike McMahon ‏@MikeMcMahonCHN 35m
The people I've spoken who think Milano is going to Plymouth are just as certain as the people who say he isn't.

The real question is what do JD/JK want him to do?

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Porty just said the team told the family they were good with either decision

As long as he's in union blue in the next 2-3 year's haha. Personally I think he should go to BC. Although I would like to see what kind of numbers he would put up in the CHL to compare to others in his draft class.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Adam Kimelman ‏@NHLAdamK 1m
Sonny Milano confirms he will attend Boston College in the fall. Says no truth to reports of him going to Plymouth

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
As long as he's in union blue in the next 2-3 year's haha. Personally I think he should go to BC. Although I would like to see what kind of numbers he would put up in the CHL to compare to others in his draft class.

Yeah, I would prefer he went to BC. He would probably be a higher rated prospect if he played in the OHL and put up big stats though.

Hugg

Aug 2, 2005
Columbus
Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline 19s
This is what Milano has said all along, but ... I do not believe for one minute that #MilanoWatch is over. Next week could bring news.

haha

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

Yeah, I would prefer he went to BC. He would probably be a higher rated prospect if he played in the OHL and put up big stats though.

Just out of curiosity why the preference fro BC? To me I'd rather see him in the OHL. He'd get to play more. And I guess get better exposure to a more pro like game? Don't know for sure about the latter point but that would be a guess. Anyone know the difference if any between playing juniors and college? Another reason for my preference for juniors is I think it helps eliminate the college UFA issue.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Just out of curiosity why the preference fro BC? To me I'd rather see him in the OHL. He'd get to play more. And I guess get better exposure to a more pro like game? Don't know for sure about the latter point but that would be a guess. Anyone know the difference if any between playing juniors and college? Another reason for my preference for juniors is I think it helps eliminate the college UFA issue.

I would prefer BC for a few reasons. For one, he's on the low end of the age scale rather than one of the older players. Simply, he'll play with players his age or older, no 16 or 17 year olds. More physically developed in general. BC is a great program #2 and lastly, he can take 4 years to develop if needed. I think he will ultimately play better competition in practice and games.

my thoughts anyway.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I would prefer BC for a few reasons. For one, he's on the low end of the age scale rather than one of the older players. Simply, he'll play with players his age or older, no 16 or 17 year olds. More physically developed in general. BC is a great program #2 and lastly, he can take 4 years to develop if needed. I think he will ultimately play better competition in practice and games.

my thoughts anyway.

They are both pretty good options. The OHL would give him more games and just time around hockey in general. Plus if he went the OHL route couldn't he play in the AHL in 2 years if needed? I like the CHL route but wouldn't be upset with either choice

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005

my thoughts anyway.

Also, I actually prefer the lesser games played. Either way is fine. I just like college more, especially for someone who is gifted offensively already.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad