Prospect Info: 16th Overall, Alex Newhook, Victoria Grizzlies, C, BCHL

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
Newhook fell to us in this draft due to a lot of teams taking d men. Where does he rank among the forwards taken high in this draft?

TheFactor

Johnny Malkin
Mar 25, 2011
Calgary
What? Krebs is known for a guy that never gives up. He would have been a great fit to Bednar's system.
True but its not exactly the same thing. There's still a physical aspect of it that Krebs seems to lack. Its kind of like Duchene - he doesn't really give up but he also wasn't very assertive physically.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Newhook fell to us in this draft due to a lot of teams taking d men. Where does he rank among the forwards taken high in this draft?

See for yourself:

Alex Newhook at eliteprospects.com

Button had him tanked 18th, Bender had him ranked 9th.

Reactions: Perratrooper

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
True but its not exactly the same thing. There's still a physical aspect of it that Krebs seems to lack. Its kind of like Duchene - he doesn't really give up but he also wasn't very assertive physically.
cut.jpg

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017

I really like Krebs a lot. He just seems to have that leadership, hardworking and high IQ. The injury shouldn't have been a concern, he is expected to need 3-6 months for a full recovery.

Newhook is a fantastic choice. Playing in the lower league hurt his ranking. Tough to choose either player, but the U18 reflected his high skill set.

Can't complain, I liked both players and still amazed they had a choice to add with Byram.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
So? Lots of top players don't have a physical side to their game and that never stopped them being successful. As long as you are able to handle the physicality against you when it comes that is all that matters. Pair him with a player or two that are more physical and you have no problem.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Kind of interesting that Newhook is 5'10.5, but already listed in the 190s, and considered to have high end skating. Really does remind me of Duchene actually.

I wonder if it is just him being a touch more physically developed for his age, or if he will end up a bit more like MacK and in the 200-210 range. Either way hes a little heavier than some of his mates that are similar in height.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Kind of interesting that Newhook is 5'10.5, but already listed in the 190s, and considered to have high end skating. Really does remind me of Duchene actually

Can anyone brief me on why he wasn't a top 10 pick? (Other than the obvious fact that 10+ players were better than him).

According to Button it was because of his very average skating, but everyone else is saying he has elite skating. So what prevented him to crack the top 10?

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Can anyone brief me on why he wasn't a top 10 pick? (Other than the obvious fact that 10+ players were better than him).

According to Button it was because of his very average skating, but everyone else is saying he has elite skating. So what prevented him to crack the top 10?

Probably Jost/BCHL, and I think that was directly mentioned at least once. Which was quickly followed by it being pointed out we were the ones who drafted both Jost and Makar, and obviously not being afraid to draft out of the BCHL despite that.

Reactions: Plekatorz

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
How many years before this kid makes the leap to nhl? I’d guess 3 but what are other people’s thoughts?

Being 193lbs, and if his skating level translates as a strength. I'd guess one and done. He does not need to bulk up, and if hes as fast as some rate him when actually up against better competition. I'd bet on earlier rather than later.

Reactions: Balthazar

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
I think he's going to be one and done in College. People say we rushed Jost but remember he put up 35 points in 33 games as a Freshman in College, I'd say most people thought he was ready.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
I think he's going to be one and done in College. People say we rushed Jost but remember he put up 35 points in 33 games as a Freshman in College, I'd say most people thought he was ready.
The people who watched him at UND were saying otherwise. I saw a few of his games and despite not being a professional talent evaluator, even I could tell he needed to marinate in Grand Forks for at least another year.

Like, I totally get him wanting to gtfo of Grand Forks, but the move wasn’t the best thing for his development.

Reactions: Tommy Shelby

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Kind of interesting that Newhook is 5'10.5, but already listed in the 190s, and considered to have high end skating. Really does remind me of Duchene actually.

I wonder if it is just him being a touch more physically developed for his age, or if he will end up a bit more like MacK and in the 200-210 range. Either way hes a little heavier than some of his mates that are similar in height.

Newhook on draft night:

200.gif

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
The people who watched him at UND were saying otherwise. I saw a few of his games and despite not being a professional talent evaluator, even I could tell he needed to marinate in Grand Forks for at least another year.

Like, I totally get him wanting to gtfo of Grand Forks, but the move wasn’t the best thing for his development.

I didn't mind Jost being one-and-done since Boeser was leaving, but he should've left college for the AHL, not the NHL.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
I didn't mind Jost being one-and-done since Boeser was leaving, but he should've left college for the AHL, not the NHL.
I would’ve preferred him to stay at UND and be the leading offensive forward for the Hawks so that we could get a better gauge for where he was at. I could also see the AHL being a good option for him, too, if he was dead set on leaving UND.

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
Jost and Kerfoot both came out of the BCHL, and jost put up even better numbers than Newhook did in the BCHL while kerfoot didn’t even come close. Kerfoot has had a much bigger impact for the avs after spending 4 years playing college hockey than Jost has after only spending one year playing college hockey. One might be lead to believe that transitioning to the pro game can be more difficult for skilled players coming out of lower tiers of Jr Hockey, or that they need more time before making that jump to the pros :dunno:

TheForsbergShow

Apr 4, 2016
Edmonton
Jost and Kerfoot both came out of the BCHL, and jost put up even better numbers than Newhook did in the BCHL while kerfoot didn’t even come close. Kerfoot has had a much bigger impact for the avs after spending 4 years playing college hockey than Jost has after only spending one year playing college hockey. One might be lead to believe that transitioning to the pro game can be more difficult for skilled players coming out of lower tiers of Jr Hockey, or that they need more time before making that jump to the pros :dunno:

From the things I read is that Jost wasn't even the highest scoring player on his team while Newhook was 35 points ahead of his next closest teammate (18 points ahead of the 2nd place guy in the league in 2 less games). Also apparently scoring was down as well so comparing their points is a little skewed.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
IIRC Jost basically forced the Avs to give him a guarantee he'd be playing in the NHL in order to sign.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad