Prospect Info: 16th Overall, Alex Newhook, Victoria Grizzlies, C, BCHL

timothy jimothy

Apr 12, 2019
From the things I read is that Jost wasn't even the highest scoring player on his team while Newhook was 35 points ahead of his next closest teammate (18 points ahead of the 2nd place guy in the league in 2 less games). Also apparently scoring was down as well so comparing their points is a little skewed.
Another thing... Victoria has done pretty well the past couple years, and some of that success has to do with Alex Newhook, but Penticton has been a powerhouse in the BCHL for over a decade now. They have been 1st in their division for 8 years in a row and have won the Fred Page cup twice in the past 5 years, one being in Jost's rookie season. They would've been a winning team with or without Jost.

Not trying to discredit Jost because I still like him and believe he will be a good player for us one day, but outside of one tournament he has never been 'the guy' for his team like Newhook, and even Cale Makar, has. Another year at UND without Boeser would've done him so much good imo, and at the very least we would've gotten a better idea of what we had in him than we do right now.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Whether he needs a second NCAA season or not is a question that will be answered by his freshman year. I'd lean towards anticipating a 2nd NCAA season, but I generally err on the side of over-cooking talents that aren't plug-n-play...and he could well make the transition super smoothly while polishing his game sufficiently & showing that his skating advantage will continue to separate him as he moves up the ranks.

Plus there's the potential that the coaching staff there makes a draft+2 season started in the AHL, the more appealing route for him even if he isn't NHL-ready after just 1 season. But he does seem to be well developed physically and Henchy says that the skating is technically polished; so he may well not have a clear part of his game that he needs the extra training time to focus on, which would typically warrant a 2nd NCAA season.

So we'll learn a lot from how he transitions to the next level either way.

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I knew it would inspire some jokes, but Duchene was 190 at the draft I believe. It is a positive sign he carries that weight at this age. Especially combined with skating ability.

You can make excuses all you want, but as the resident chicken little I'm not just going to sit by while this poor child lets diet advice from Zads & Barrie lead him to go full Pepin :scared:

Last edited:

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL

Highlight package, but this is why I buy him as a good goalscorer if he's able to make his accuracy more consistent.

Pronman rated the best skaters in the draft....this is strange.

Jack Hughes, C, USNTDP-USHL70
Philip Broberg, D, AIK-Allsvenskan70
Alex Newhook, C, Victoria-BCHL65
Domenick Fensore, D, USNTDP-USHL65
Leevi Aaltonen, LW, KalPa-Jr. A Liiga65
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Alex Turcotte, C, USNTDP-USHL60
Bowen Byram, D, Vancouver-WHL60
Dylan Cozens, C, Lethbridge-WHL60
Philip Tomasino, C, Niagara-OHL60
Tuukka Tieksola, RW, Karpat-Jr. A Liiga60
Rhett Pitlick, LW, Chaska-U.S. High School60
Ethan Phillips, C, Sioux Falls-USHL60
Tobias Bjornfot, D, Djuargarden-J20 SuperElit60
Ryan Johnson, D, Sioux Falls-USHL60
Semyon Chistyakov, D, Ufa-MHL60
Antti Saarela, C, Lukko-Liiga60
John Beecher, C, USNTDP-USHL60
Mattias Norlinder, D, MODO-Allsvenskan60
Kirill Slepets, RW, Yaroslavl-MHL60
Jayden Struble, D, St. Sebastian’s School-U.S. High School60
William Constantinou, D, Kingston-OHL60
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Lol, he doesn't even have Kolyachonok in the top 20? Nonsense.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I'm not trying to pick on Pronman here, but skating is a weird, very subjective sort of rating. Not sure where he rated Jost's on the scale since he was at ESPN at the time (pure guess it was 60-65)... and he had this to say:

Top 100 prospects for the 2016 NHL draft

It is very easy to look at a prospect blowing past defenders and say his skating is great... and I think that is what happens with Newhook.

I said this during the season:

Prospect Info: - The 2019 Entry NHL Draft Thread

Last edited:

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Is it a stretch to say that he reminds me of vaguely of Sakic? Not comparing his skill but in his playstyle.
Wouldn't say he has the mobility around the offencive zone to be similar to Joe Sakic. When Captain Hook is carrying the puck I see a lot of Matt Duchene/Mathew Barzal, in the offencive zone I see a lot of a 2nd line Vladimir Tarasenko from him.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Wouldn't say he has the mobility around the offencive zone to be similar to Joe Sakic. When Captain Hook is carrying the puck I see a lot of Matt Duchene/Mathew Barzal, in the offencive zone I see a lot of a 2nd line Vladimir Tarasenko from him.
Not in skating style but in his release.

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018

Love the amount of support the guy has gotten, between his friends at the draft and stuff like this. Can't help but want to root for him, even if he happened to not be drafted by the my team in the Avs like he did

Last edited:
Reactions: arun and Pokecheque

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Yaknow usually i’d be offended but I spent the night partying with Bissonette so I’m too drunk to care #dullnewfie

By “partied with” I mean I was at a bar for a couple of beer that he just so happened to be at. I didn’t speak a word to him and went home because I’m a boring dad now.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Yaknow usually i’d be offended but I spent the night partying with Bissonette so I’m too drunk to care #dullnewfie

By “partied with” I mean I was at a bar for a couple of beer that he just so happened to be at. I didn’t speak a word to him and went home because I’m a boring dad now.

349fmv.jpg

Last edited:

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
You can make excuses all you want, but as the resident chicken little I'm not just going to sit by while this poor child lets diet advice from Zads & Barrie lead him to go full Pepin :scared:
He can only get so much taller size Queen. The only other option is getting wider.

Reactions: cgf

Asinine

yer opinion is wrong
Feb 28, 2013

6:45-9:00 Newhook
I remember watching this video a few years ago and had to dig it up again. Thought it was kinda cool now that the Avs' drafted him.

Reactions: Tommy G

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->