Prospect Info: 16th Overall, Alex Newhook, Victoria Grizzlies, C, BCHL

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
We have to get over our Jost complex. The Avs have.

First of all the jury is still out on Jost and relative to those picked around him on his draft might, he’s done fine thus far. It was a weak draft.

Second, we picked Makar a year later out of a league (AJHL) that overall is significantly a step down from even the BCHL (though his team Brooks was a powerhouse that year in that league as well duh they had Makar). Why do we immediately bring up Jost and QoC concerns instead of bringing up Makar and the fact that the Avs were able to mine an absolute gem from a “lesser” league?

Third, Newhook is not Jost in the way he moves around the ice or his dynamic qualities. Button is an idiot if he gave him 3/5 for skating. Newhook’s toolset is tailor made for how the Avs hockey in their ideal form. I’d agree somewhat with the idea that he’s going to make it as a scoring line player and not a checker (despite a solid motor and fine defensive effort and smarts for his age) because he’s not big and he’s not a grinder. But I’d be as bullish about him making it as a top 6 forward as any forward outside the top handful in this draft. When you can skate like he does, play a naturally intelligent game and have a varied offensive toolset with parts playmaking and parts scoring and by all accounts he’s a great and hard working kid - you’ve got somebody to be excited about.

Krebs would have been a great pick too, the two of them were dominant together at the U18’s but I think the Avs had their hearts sets on Newhook all along, even if Krebs were 100% healthy.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
The way people are expressing their concerns about him sound very similar to the way myself and others expressed our concerns about Makar.

Let's hope he can improve where he needs to most and silence his critics like Cale did :nod:

I have faith in the kid. At worst, we will have our next Reinprecht

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
We always get overly excited about every prospect on draft day, but this feels good to me.

If it was good draft overall? We'll see in five years. No one can tell today.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
You can rate his skating with 3/5 easily. Depends on what you look for in a skater, as Henchy once explained.

Yup... Jost once had many reports saying he was a great skater wand was also rated 3/5 at the draft. I believe Newhook is more dynamic than Jost, and can be a better player. There is reasonable skepticism that can pop up here (seems like SEPH has explained this well). Just wait and see how it all plays out, you learn things from successes and failures and trying to figure out the whys behind it.

This is another example of how much the Avs value U18s. Newhook was one of Canada’s best players and it moved him up.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Hi,

Been following this kid for a while. I think it's a good pick. One thing, from his interviews over the years, I'd expect him to attend BC long enough to get his degree.

It could be an issue for the Avs if he plans to stay in college for three to four years. It would be an extremely unusual move by a prospect drafted relatively high in the first round. I certainly would not fault anyone for stressing education, but it has some potential implications in this situation.

Last edited:

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
BTW I’m afraid for @Cousin Eddie I hope he was able to survive us picking his boy.
I’m very excited. With Caufield (and Zegras a little earlier) slipping I really thought we were going to pull a miracle and get one of those two but unfortunately it didn’t fall like that. We still got an incredible pick at 16 though. Thought he was going to Vancouver at 10.

Once Montreal picked Caufield I think Newhook was absolutely the best player on the board and I’m very glad we picked him and I’m even happier for Alex.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Avs aren’t all that patient, I feel they wouldn’t pick him were there any indication he was planning to stay there for 4 years.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I wouldn't expect him to stay all 4 years, guys finish their degrees over summers over an extended period of time all the time.
I’d expect two years.

The good news is that even if Alex stayed 4 years you can still expect him to sign with the Avs at the end.

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
Flag_of_Newfoundland_and_Labrador.gif

Yes B’y
Had a few shots of screech last night and made some homemade cod fishcakes

Last edited:

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Newhook happily bounced from town to town across the country for short stints looking for the best opportunity to reach his NHL goal. Enrolling in college is just another step in his long journey.

I highly doubt he would suddenly decide to stay in college for 4 years.

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
I just got blackout drunk in my shed
Hahah and that and I should have specified salt cod and I had a pretty good buzz going myself.

Let's just say I woke up drier than a popcorn fart.
So I'm already back into the beers. and will be back into the leftover fish cakes at some point :laugh:

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
I doubt he's going to want to wait 4 year when the Avs are almost ready to compete for a cup now.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I’m very excited. With Caufield (and Zegras a little earlier) slipping I really thought we were going to pull a miracle and get one of those two but unfortunately it didn’t fall like that. We still got an incredible pick at 16 though. Thought he was going to Vancouver at 10.

Once Montreal picked Caufield I think Newhook was absolutely the best player on the board and I’m very glad we picked him and I’m even happier for Alex.
I gotta ask, were you part of his draft party there? :sarcasm: And if so, will you be part of Ryan Greene's party in the future as well?

Reactions: Cousin Eddie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad