Prospect Info: #166 Overall, LW Josh Filmon, Swift Current WHL

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
It is definitely reasonable for someone his age and his build to put on a lot of weight really quickly.

When I started college, I was 6'4", 177 lbs. Not much muscle, definitely kind of a string bean. I started lifting way more consistently (even with this, there were three separate times where I took approximately 2 months off for varying reasons), eating a bit more, etc. and less than two years later, I am 212 lbs, which is approximately a 35 lb increase. It is definitely not all muscle, but no doubt a good portion is, and I would still classify myself as pretty skinny and lean. Went from barely being able to bench 135 for 1 set of 5 reps to benching 205 for 5 sets of 5 reps in that time frame. Can't give any kind of equivalent leg measurements because I am still recovering from an ACL tear but I can't even imagine what kind of gains someone with his frame could make given a proper diet and training regimen.
Unless someone is basically completely untrained, more than 5 pounds of muscle in a full year (which would take insane dedication in the weight room and with diet) is basically unattainable without top tier genetics or some “help”. And that’s if someone is running like an actual bodybuilding program.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Unless someone is basically completely untrained, more than 5 pounds of muscle in a full year (which would take insane dedication in the weight room and with diet) is basically unattainable without top tier genetics or some “help”. And that’s if someone is running like an actual bodybuilding program.

62EA1FAD-B9F1-497D-9F8F-910AE9CE36F2.jpeg

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
So while I agree with that study for Adults, I'm not sure it is valid for 16-19 year olds who are still naturally developing.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
This is absolutely not the case for non-adults. i was 150-160 when i started college and after one year of air force ROTC and doing PT 3 days a week, i was 190. I’ll never be that fit again, luckily it lasted long enough for me to get out of the dating scene.

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
oh man i can relate so much, i had both at his age

it's not that bad though
May I offer you an almond encrusted tilapia? :sarcasm:

It is definitely reasonable for someone his age and his build to put on a lot of weight really quickly.

When I started college, I was 6'4", 177 lbs. Not much muscle, definitely kind of a string bean. I started lifting way more consistently (even with this, there were three separate times where I took approximately 2 months off for varying reasons), eating a bit more, etc. and less than two years later, I am 212 lbs, which is approximately a 35 lb increase. It is definitely not all muscle, but no doubt a good portion is, and I would still classify myself as pretty skinny and lean. Went from barely being able to bench 135 for 1 set of 5 reps to benching 205 for 5 sets of 5 reps in that time frame. Can't give any kind of equivalent leg measurements because I am still recovering from an ACL tear but I can't even imagine what kind of gains someone with his frame could make given a proper diet and training regimen.
I graduated high school at 6’3” 143…took me a decade to get to 230

Reactions: My3Sons

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
This is absolutely not the case for non-adults. i was 150-160 when i started college and after one year of air force ROTC and doing PT 3 days a week, i was 190. I’ll never be that fit again, luckily it lasted long enough for me to get out of the dating scene.
I’m sure you did gain muscle. I would doubt very much if you gained 30 pounds of muscle doing all that cardio without any real bodybuilding program specifically optimized to put on mass.

You can add 25 pounds with ~10 of it being muscle and look and feel better than ever.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
So while I agree with that study for Adults, I'm not sure it is valid for 16-19 year olds who are still naturally developing.
I would agree that the calculus does change if he’s still growing in height (which it looks like he is). But still, if even half of that 15 pounds in a couple months is muscle, that would be insane.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
I’m sure you did gain muscle. I would doubt very much if you gained 30 pounds of muscle doing all that cardio without any real bodybuilding program specifically optimized to put on mass.

You can add 25 pounds with ~10 of it being muscle and look and feel better than ever.
I think what he is alluding to is that natural growing will add muscle and these studies don't account for teenagers.

Reactions: My3Sons

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
End result for Mac worked out pretty well. Might need to get all the kids garbage bags full of chimichangas.

If I had any video editing skills, I'd change the gang to: Filmon (Mac), Fitz (Charlie), Lindy (Frank), Marty (Cindy), and Kate (Dee).

dennis.jpg

Also enjoyed watching the Sportsnet coverage of the draft and their analyst complimented Eduard Sale on being engaged physically at the U18s. Was expecting him to say that the next step for Sale's development would be to nurture Seattle's dependence before neglecting them emotionally.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS

If I had any video editing skills, I'd change the gang to: Filmon (Mac), Fitz (Charlie), Lindy (Frank), Marty (Cindy), and Kate (Dee).

View attachment 727993

Also enjoyed watching the Sportsnet coverage of the draft and their analyst complimented Eduard Sale on being engaged physically at the U18s. Was expecting him to say that the next step for Sale's development would be to nurture Seattle's dependence before neglecting them emotionally.

The Frank vs Russia (SINNED episode) this season is the best episode since Season 5

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut

i guess at that point we’re just arguing semantics. I don’t think anyone’s claiming Filmon put on pure muscle mass. But weight/mass can be just as important in a physical sport as muscle. More mass allows you to carry more momentum, and it makes it more difficult for someone else to move you out of the way.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
i guess at that point we’re just arguing semantics. I don’t think anyone’s claiming Filmon put on pure muscle mass. But weight/mass can be just as important in a physical sport as muscle. More mass allows you to carry more momentum, and it makes it more difficult for someone else to move you out of the way.
I agree. As long as he’s getting stronger and the pounds he’s adding don’t detract from his skating, this is good.

Reactions: RememberTheName

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Please. Let’s call thr “help” what it really is. We know from credible reporting that the miracle substance that allows for optimal muscle development is avocados. This is especially true as you age.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Please. Let’s call thr “help” what it really is. We know from credible reporting that the miracle substance that allows for optimal muscle development is avocados. This is especially true as you age.

Tired: people fawning on your “Nico is our 3C” posts
Wired: people sleeping on you dragging the NFL’s Gweneth Paltrow and his avocados.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Tired: people fawning on your “Nico is our 3C” posts
Wired: people sleeping on you dragging the NFL’s Gweneth Paltrow and his avocados.
Very smart, excellent arm talent, cool under pressure, put in the work and made the effort, still the biggest fraud in recent professional sports in my view.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad