Prospect Info: #165 Overall - Oskar Steen

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I've watched every game and he's looked great. His motor is always going, he makes plays. For a smaller guy he's surprisingly physical and good at protecting and winning pucks down low. Other than adjusting to the ice size, I can't even identify and real areas for him to work on.
I don't want to get carried away, but this paragraph could easily be about Marchand in 2010.

In fact, maybe 4 or 5 months from now he sneaks in as the RW to finally slot in with 63 & 37 allowing Pasta to permanently play with Krejci.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Steen highlights. Hopefully kid can help tonight. Not expecting a miracle. But I will take anything at this point

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Steen highlights. Hopefully kid can help tonight. Not expecting a miracle. But I will take anything at this point

He is not coming in to be Connor McDavid, but just be better than current shit state of the Bruins bottom 9 forward corps (with exceptions for Ritchie and Frederic, most nights).

Reactions: Gordoff

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Could Oskar Steen be a dark horse forward candidate for Bruins this season?

It’s very exciting for me. I’m looking forward to the season,” said Steen. “I look up to a guy like Karson Kuhlman who was here [at development camp] last year and now he’s played in a Stanley Cup Final after having a really good season. He’s a really good guy and I look up to how he did it [last season]. Signing for the Bruins was very big for me. I’ll get there in September [for training camp] and do my best.

“His development has gone exactly how we’d hoped," said Bruins Coordinator of Player Development Jamie Langenbrunner. "To say the transformation from a little boy a couple of years ago to a man now. The game this year was very good in that league he was top-10 in scoring. I think his competitiveness and his willingness to get inside on people is going to translate even better over here [in North America] than it did on the big sheet over there."

One of things that stands out about Steen beyond his scoring ability is the hard-nosed way he plays the game, as attested by his 49 penalty minutes logged in 46 games last season. The 5-foot-11, 181-pounder was nearly suspended for the Gold Medal game in the 2018 World Junior tournament when he slashed Kailer Yamomoto of Team USA at the very end of a win for Team Sweden, and clearly plays with an edge that little guys tend to need at the pro hockey level.

He grew two inches? Thought he was 5'9

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
Steen up, great. Happy for the kid.

I was watching crappy SEL streams when he was with Farjestad.

Remember he was saying in some interview that he needs time to adapt, pretty honest from his side, he needed one year in SEL before he broke out. His first year in AHL was slow but picked up towards the end. Hard worker.

Very happy about this call up.

TSBruins13

Mar 24, 2011
Boston, MA
I'm certainly not going to formulate an opinion on him after only playing small minutes last night, but he kind of looked like it was "take your child to work day" and someone let him out on the ice.

Reactions: Gordoff

kjpm

Sponsor
May 28, 2011
I liked his willingness to shoot the puck. Seems most Providence guys are coming up with that mentality which is refreshing. Steen created some trouble for the Pens a couple times just by getting a quick shot on net. Also liked his compete level. A few times it looked like he was doubling up his routes with his center, probably because he's been playing mainly center this year. Pretty solid debut I thought, hope to see him again.

Can't help but think this was a bit of a showcase for him due to the timing though. I hope David Poile liked what he saw as well lol.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I liked his willingness to shoot the puck. Seems most Providence guys are coming up with that mentality which is refreshing. Steen created some trouble for the Pens a couple times just by getting a quick shot on net. Also liked his compete level. A few times it looked like he was doubling up his routes with his center, probably because he's been playing mainly center this year. Pretty solid debut I thought, hope to see him again.

Can't help but think this was a bit of a showcase for him due to the timing though. I hope David Poile liked what he saw as well lol.

Yes, by all means let's trade off one of our center prospects because we have so many good ones waiting in the wings and the current 1 and 2 are not in their middle thirties.

kjpm

Sponsor
May 28, 2011
Yes, by all means let's trade off one of our center prospects because we have so many good ones waiting in the wings and the current 1 and 2 are not in their middle thirties.

I just don't see him as a center at the NHL level, at least not with the Bruins' MO of size through the middle. You're asking a lot of a player his size to cover the area a center does in the defensive zone. There aren't too many guys at his size playing center in the league.

Don't get me wrong, I like him and think he'll be a contributor but I see him as more of a bottom six winger at the NHL level than a potential Bergeron or Krejci replacement. If he's one of the two prospects Poile asks for in an Ekholm deal it certainly wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.

That being said, if he turns into a top 6 center I'll happily come back here and eat some crow lol

Reactions: Gordoff and Dr Hook

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I just don't see him as a center at the NHL level, at least not with the Bruins' MO of size through the middle. You're asking a lot of a player his size to cover the area a center does in the defensive zone. There aren't too many guys at his size playing center in the league.

Don't get me wrong, I like him and think he'll be a contributor but I see him as more of a bottom six winger at the NHL level than a potential Bergeron or Krejci replacement. If he's one of the two prospects Poile asks for in an Ekholm deal it certainly wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.

That being said, if he turns into a top 6 center I'll happily come back here and eat some crow lol

I want you to eat crow and I want to be right about him :laugh:. He's a solid kid, if he can bring Marchand-style sturdiness, which remains to be seen, he might be okay. The other thing is I really don't like the Ekholm deal- wrong thread probably- but if the Bruins use their value guys to get Ekholm then we almost surely are not getting a scoring winger too. Now if getting a scoring wing who is not a rental means Steen is part of the conversation, I guess that is a deal you have to make, but I would like to keep Steen and see where he ends up.

Reactions: Gordoff and kjpm

kjpm

Sponsor
May 28, 2011
I want you to eat crow and I want to be right about him :laugh:. He's a solid kid, if he can bring Marchand-style sturdiness, which remains to be seen, he might be okay. The other thing is I really don't the Ekholm deal- wrong thread probably- but if the Bruins use their value guys to get Ekholm then we almost surely are not getting a scoring winger too. Now if getting a scoring wing who is not a rental means Steen is part of the conversation, I guess that is a deal you have to make, but I would like to keep Steen and see where he ends up.

All fair points. I will say Steen has put up points in a men's league, which is not something most of our prospects can say.

Hopefully I'll be back here eating it up in a couple years :laugh:

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
He looked a little lost and hesitant at times last night, but considering the apparent lack of confidence this team has at the moment I’m not too surprised. Not the easiest situation to be brought up into.

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
I'm pretty positive Steen was played to showcase for a trade. At least I hope that's the case. Didn't hate his game, but also can't really think of any other reason why they went to him.

Riley 88

Jan 24, 2020
Matters little......Bottom line is Studnicka is not a 1 or 2 Center.......Unless Beecher is.....This team will have no choice but to go after guys as UFAs to fill those two top spots.....Krejci is playing for a contract right now for next year.....If we pass on him, we have no replacement on this roster. I dont know what Steen brings....and i like Studnincka....But i think he is a 3rd 4yh liner...non impact.....He can be traded no problem....

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Matters little......Bottom line is Studnicka is not a 1 or 2 Center.......Unless Beecher is.....This team will have no choice but to go after guys as UFAs to fill those two top spots.....Krejci is playing for a contract right now for next year.....If we pass on him, we have no replacement on this roster. I dont know what Steen brings....and i like Studnincka....But i think he is a 3rd 4yh liner...non impact.....He can be traded no problem....

I don't know how you go along so negative about the Bruins all the time- it boggles my mind. I don't know what Studnicka is going to be and neither do you. Maybe UFA is the answer and maybe it isn't. I prefer the team wait to see what they have in these guys before shipping them out. If it comes to a deal that just has to be made, great and so be it, but I want to see both Studnicka and Steen get their chance in the spoked B before writing them off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad