Prospect Info: #165 Overall - Oskar Steen

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Wouldn’t it be better, since many have not seen Oskar play other than Training Camp, to reserve judgement until we see for real what he can do head-to-head competing with ZS and KK on Warrior an d Garden ice?

I like what I’ve seen so far from Kuhlman; good skater, hockey IQ, fights through checks, makes good plays in the o zone. Steen seems tro have the same attributes. Perhaps there’s room for both, AND Senyshyn on the 2019 - 2020 team.

Gnome17

Mar 4, 2016
Sweden
Allright, so!
The Series is over. Färjestad won 4-3 in the tighest quarterfinals series of all of them in the series. On to play Djurgården in the semis.

I give Steen a B overall, leaning towards B+. Im giving him some leeway considering its his first playoff series as an impact player in a league for adults, but even without that it's still a B.

I think its safe to say that his abilities translates to the playoffs, atleast on this level.

Played boxplay and powerplay, and I especially like seeing him on the PP. In that playform he reminds me a ton of Nicklas Bäckström, he plays that role on the powerplay and looks a lot like him, he has an ability to slow the game down, vision up and then quickly decide on a play.

He hits, plays with feist. He had a slash on a player way far from the puck that he got quite criticized for. The opposing teams fans didnt like it atleast. :sarcasm: Maybe not something you want to see a lot of, but he has that "do anything to win" mentality. Hits quite a lot to, likes to finish his checks.
Good around the boards. Now, he is quite small, so there is a question mark for me just how well this part of his game would translate to North America.

The only thing I can maybe criticize is that it feels like he sometimes could put in an extra gear, and he just doesnt for some reason, not sure what that is about, if its not actually there, or if hes just smart about when he uses his energy, or something else. When he does gear up though, he is very effective. Sometimes looks a liiittle floaty, but just a little bit.

Had 1 goal and 3 assists for 4 points total, and was a plus 3 in 7 games.
Got to remember that he is playing in a low-scoring league, or rather a league where not too many players stand out point-wise. There were barely any players that were ppg in the reg season, so 4 in 7 is allright. He had atleast 1 shot in the posts that I can think of, and could have had a couple more assissts as well if it hadnt been such a tight series, with fairly few goals scored.

Excited to see what he does in the semis that starts on saturday! And if you have any specific questions about his play that I didnt cover please let me know :)

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Allright, so!
The Series is over. Färjestad won 4-3 in the tighest quarterfinals series of all of them in the series. On to play Djurgården in the semis.

I give Steen a B overall, leaning towards B+. Im giving him some leeway considering its his first playoff series as an impact player in a league for adults, but even without that it's still a B.

I think its safe to say that his abilities translates to the playoffs, atleast on this level.

Played boxplay and powerplay, and I especially like seeing him on the PP. In that playform he reminds me a ton of Nicklas Bäckström, he plays that role on the powerplay and looks a lot like him, he has an ability to slow the game down, vision up and then quickly decide on a play.

He hits, plays with feist. He had a slash on a player way far from the puck that he got quite criticized for. The opposing teams fans didnt like it atleast. :sarcasm: Maybe not something you want to see a lot of, but he has that "do anything to win" mentality. Hits quite a lot to, likes to finish his checks.
Good around the boards. Now, he is quite small, so there is a question mark for me just how well this part of his game would translate to North America.

The only thing I can maybe criticize is that it feels like he sometimes could put in an extra gear, and he just doesnt for some reason, not sure what that is about, if its not actually there, or if hes just smart about when he uses his energy, or something else. When he does gear up though, he is very effective. Sometimes looks a liiittle floaty, but just a little bit.

Had 1 goal and 3 assists for 4 points total, and was a plus 3 in 7 games.
Got to remember that he is playing in a low-scoring league, or rather a league where not too many players stand out point-wise. There were barely any players that were ppg in the reg season, so 4 in 7 is allright. He had atleast 1 shot in the posts that I can think of, and could have had a couple more assissts as well if it hadnt been such a tight series, with fairly few goals scored.

Excited to see what he does in the semis that starts on saturday! And if you have any specific questions about his play that I didnt cover please let me know :)

Sounds like Theo Feury. At least that's what I'm envisioning as a Bruin fan. :wg:

Thanks for the update!

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
hoping so much now to see a brad marchand type progression for this guy... break him in a 4th line role in a couple years after people have written him off a bit... by that time chris wagner is likely nearing the end of the line and we got a need for someone like this

maybe he doesnt impress immediately but thats ok... switching to nhl probably will take an adjustment

and then.. magic slowly happens. before we know it we got ourselves a new little ball of hate on the 3rd line... showing some touch of scoring... its there and it could shine through

from there? who knows where this story ends up... expecting a brad marchand ceiling is probably horribly unfair. we didnt even know marchand could end up where he did.

I got steen in my hfl keeper sim league so I will be very happy if he even becomes an above average 3rd liner. I think though, my gut says... this guy is going to be better than that. more important than that. very excited to see his career continue and to see him getting signed.

Memokerobi

May 4, 2018
I got a hunch that this guy will be regularly playing RW with Coyle at some point next year

Reactions: TCB

Fopppa

Jan 3, 2009
I think Steen will at the very least be a late, late cut in pre-season and make an impact at some time during the year. Kid’s got a lot of tools Cassidy and Sweeney seem to appreciate and his development curve is very encouraging. Not saying he’ll crack the roster, but we’ll see him in Boston at some point this season, and we’ll like what we see.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I think Steen will at the very least be a late, late cut in pre-season and make an impact at some time during the year. Kid’s got a lot of tools Cassidy and Sweeney seem to appreciate and his development curve is very encouraging. Not saying he’ll crack the roster, but we’ll see him in Boston at some point this season, and we’ll like what we see.

He would be the perfect player for them to point to when telling the young guys hard work truly pays off considering he was a late round pick and out of shape his first development camp.

Reactions: Alicat and Fopppa

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
Damn, some level-headed, cautiously optimistic posts in this thread! I like it!

Never change, hf. And I honestly mean that as a compliment.

Hope to see Steen at least in Providence next season.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Just a side note - what is with the development curve of Swedes? So many of them take into their early 20s to start really developing as players and usually hit their prime a bit later than your North American. Is it something in the water? Or do I just have recency bias from growing up while guys like Zetterberg, Franzen, Sedins, hell even Soderberg all had their best seasons over 30 years old.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Just a side note - what is with the development curve of Swedes? So many of them take into their early 20s to start really developing as players and usually hit their prime a bit later than your North American. Is it something in the water? Or do I just have recency bias from growing up while guys like Zetterberg, Franzen, Sedins, hell even Soderberg all had their best seasons over 30 years old.

That is interesting. I wonder if it has to do with so many of them playing in Europe in their early years and then coming over at 19 or 20 (or later) and having to recalibrate their games to the North American style?

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
That is interesting. I wonder if it has to do with so many of them playing in Europe in their early years and then coming over at 19 or 20 (or later) and having to recalibrate their games to the North American style?

There's been a lot of great swedes in the NHL over time, lead by the great Borje Salming and many incredible offensive talent with the likes of Kent Nilsson,Ulf Nilsson Anders Hedberg,Mats Sudin,Peter Forsberg,The Sedins,Mats Naslund, Markus Naslund,Thomas Gradin,Daniel Alfredsson to name a few, but with all the talent and skill that Sweden has brought to the NHL, there's been only one Hakan Loob to net 50 goals in a single season.

I guess it more or less describes the way Sweden plays the game,gifted two-way play makers who like to set up goals just as much if not more than score them.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
There's been a lot of great swedes in the NHL over time, lead by the great Borje Salming and many incredible offensive talent with the likes of Kent Nilsson,Ulf Nilsson Anders Hedberg,Mats Sudin,Peter Forsberg,The Sedins,Mats Naslund, Markus Naslund,Thomas Gradin,Daniel Alfredsson to name a few, but with all the talent and skill that Sweden has brought to the NHL, there's been only one Hakan Loob to net 50 goals in a single season.

I guess it more or less describes the way Sweden plays the game,gifted two-way play makers who like to set up goals just as much if not more than score them.

I like a lot of Swede players- Axe is one of my all-time favorite Bruins. I guess that is it- you hear NHL guys saying that they teach their kids to play the right way over there, and I wonder if that translates into a slower development curve.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
I like a lot of Swede players- Axe is one of my all-time favorite Bruins. I guess that is it- you hear NHL guys saying that they teach their kids to play the right way over there, and I wonder if that translates into a slower development curve.

All though some players may take longer to adapt, I feel that's more of a myth than anything as a multitude of Swede's have had their fair share of success at an younger age as well. I mean Salming was putting up 70 point seasons in his mid twenty's and as of late the likes of Backstrom, Sundin,Landeskog Petterson,Hedman Dahlin,EK, the Sedin even going back to Kent Nilsson who had two 40 goal seasons before he turned 25 and Forsberg all reached stardom in their younger years.

Reactions: Dr Hook

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
I don't normally frequent these boards but figured I'll bring up a conversation I had after a beer league game where a player brought his kid to a camp by a Swedish hockey trainer. The trainer was saying that the population of Massachusetts and Sweden are relatively close but there are a lot more Swedish players than Massachusetts players in the NHL. He was saying that in Massachusetts (probably most of North America tbh,) kid's hockey team is seen as a business and it's not the best kids that make the best teams, its the best kids from parents that can afford it. They went on to say that in Sweden, it's more about getting kids to play with other kids in the same skill level because that's how all kids are going to improve. It's not fair for a skilled kid to play with a less skilled kid because their parents are paying for it. It makes you realize just how different coaching styles are. I don't know how they really differ from Sweden as far as coaching goes or what they learn growing up but the whole philosophy to youth hockey over there is just different than it is her.

Boston Bandit

Aug 2, 2005
https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/br...9slm_TVbZqDDVV0IvoI8yjpAHcQRA9KVSggiOdqfjh0HA

It’s very exciting for me. I’m looking forward to the season,” said Steen. “I look up to a guy like Karson Kuhlman who was here [at development camp] last year and now he’s played in a Stanley Cup Final after having a really good season. He’s a really good guy and I look up to how he did it [last season]. Signing for the Bruins was very big for me. I’ll get there in September [for training camp] and do my best.

“His development has gone exactly how we’d hoped," said Bruins Coordinator of Player Development Jamie Langenbrunner. "To say the transformation from a little boy a couple of years ago to a man now. The game this year was very good in that league he was top-10 in scoring. I think his competitiveness and his willingness to get inside on people is going to translate even better over here [in North America] than it did on the big sheet over there."

One of things that stands out about Steen beyond his scoring ability is the hard-nosed way he plays the game, as attested by his 49 penalty minutes logged in 46 games last season. The 5-foot-11, 181-pounder was nearly suspended for the Gold Medal game in the 2018 World Junior tournament when he slashed Kailer Yamomoto of Team USA at the very end of a win for Team Sweden, and clearly plays with an edge that little guys tend to need at the pro hockey level.

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
This needs a bump, I feel. To those who have been able to watch pre-season games: How has he looked outside of the points?

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
This needs a bump, I feel. To those who have been able to watch pre-season games: How has he looked outside of the points?

I've watched every game and he's looked great. His motor is always going, he makes plays. For a smaller guy he's surprisingly physical and good at protecting and winning pucks down low. Other than adjusting to the ice size, I can't even identify and real areas for him to work on.

Reactions: Fossy21

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
Good to hear! Always nice to add to the competition within the organisation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad